Posted to uk.d-i-y
cal9000

Default best all-purpose sander?

I have an approx 1 sq-m area of pine square-edge floorboards to level
and prepare for staining as well as a medium-sized painted staircase.
Which type of sander would best handle both: a good orbital sander or a
belt sander?

tia

- cal9000
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 13:50:55 +0000 (UTC), cal9000
wrote:

I have an approx 1 sq-m area of pine square-edge floorboards to level
and prepare for staining as well as a medium-sized painted staircase.
Which type of sander would best handle both: a good orbital sander or a
belt sander?

tia

- cal9000

Orbital is a finish sander, even with rough paper.

Belt is a "rip loads off" sander, even with smooth paper, a bit like a
power plane, if you fit 40 or 60 grit.

The problem you will most likley have is getting into the edges :-(

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

cal9000 wrote:
I have an approx 1 sq-m area of pine square-edge floorboards to level
and prepare for staining as well as a medium-sized painted staircase.
Which type of sander would best handle both: a good orbital sander or
a belt sander?

I'd reccommend a RANDOM Orbit Sander like this http://tinyurl.com/bj23w

With 40 grit paper it's almost like a belt sander, but much easier to
control and you can go up to 240 grit for very fine finish if needs be.

I was in a B&Q Depot the other day and they had some on clearance very
cheap!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

cal9000 wrote:

I have an approx 1 sq-m area of pine square-edge floorboards to level
and prepare for staining as well as a medium-sized painted staircase.
Which type of sander would best handle both: a good orbital sander or a
belt sander?

Some more info he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sander.htm

Radom orbit will be best for most of it. You may need a delta sander for
the corners (or do those bits by hand).

--
Cheers,

John.