Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Re-purpose wiring

Grumps wrote:

There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.

Yes, the cable can be used.
It will need RCD protection for anything in the bathroom, so just swap
the immersion switch for a RCD fused spur.
The bonding to any incoming services will have to be compliant too.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'