Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Materials for making a long-lasting, walkable-on long-lasting flat roof?

I'm planning an extension to my house, and want to make flat roof that will last a long time, is maintenance-free and tough enough for people to walk around on, and is fairly light in colour on the surface.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective materials? I'd something rigid rather than joists and plywood with a waterproof covering, which, in my experience tends to have limited durability.

Many thanks..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 May 2016 05:49:31 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm planning an extension to my house, and want to make flat roof that will last a long time, is maintenance-free and tough enough for people to walk around on, and is fairly light in colour on the surface.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective materials? I'd something rigid rather than joists and plywood with a waterproof covering, which, in my experience tends to have limited durability.

Many thanks..

Concrete roof slab and paving stones set in pitch is the commercial solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another bare faced pig ignorant lie.

I'm planning an extension to my house, and want to make flat roof
that will last a long time, is maintenance-free and tough enough for
people to walk around on, and is fairly light in colour on the surface.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective materials?

Metal decking.

I'd something rigid rather than joists and plywood with a waterproof
covering, which, in my experience tends to have limited durability.

Metal decking lasts much longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'm planning an extension to my house, and want to make flat roof that
will last a long time, is maintenance-free and tough enough for people
to walk around on, and is fairly light in colour on the surface.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective materials? I'd something rigid
rather than joists and plywood with a waterproof covering, which, in my
experience tends to have limited durability.

So a concrete of some sort roof? Sounds a bit overkill for the average
house extension?

I have a roof terrace where originally there was a pitched roof. Joists
with decent ply over, than ashfelt. GRP concrete tiles (commonly called
promenade tiles) on top. Has lasted well. Be overkill for only maintenance
access, though.

*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Personally, I'd go for zinc, or copper if it's out of the way of pikey
prying eyes.

Think you'd find a slight difference in the cost. ;-)

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Personally, I'd go for zinc, or copper if it's out of the way of pikey
prying eyes.

Think you'd find a slight difference in the cost. ;-)

Not as much as a few years ago though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you say walk around on, do you mean occasionally for access,
or for regular use?

Chris,
Fairly regular walking on,mainly in summer, as it well serve as a patio for this 1-2bed dwelling. It won't be walked-on as much as the internal rooms. I'd like it to be able to bear the weight of some fairly big planters weighing a bit more more than the average human adult male.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 8:31:14 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Another bare faced pig ignorant lie.

I'm planning an extension to my house, and want to make flat roof
that will last a long time, is maintenance-free and tough enough for
people to walk around on, and is fairly light in colour on the surface.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective materials?

Metal decking.

I'd something rigid rather than joists and plywood with a waterproof
covering, which, in my experience tends to have limited durability.

Metal decking lasts much longer.

Thanks; that's a material I've never played with before. what kind of metal is it? how does one achieve the waterproofing between the pieces?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Regular use one has to assume chair legs and inappropriate footware will
be an issue.

For irregular access, add aluminium and copper and maybe EDPM rubber.

Personally, I'd go for zinc, or copper if it's out of the way of pikey
prying eyes.

Tim, Yes chair legs etc will definitely bbe an issue. The roof will get the same wear and tesr as a regular back patio. When you say copper/zinc, is that just the covering? What about the underlying support?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EDPM from permaroof, derbyshire
I had some fitted a few years back
and am putting on more this summer.
they used to have tiles to go on it for walking,
but its missing from their website...
accessories / promenade tiles
http://www.permaroofstore.co.uk/prod...romenade-tiles