Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Long lasting insecticide?

I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These
are at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm
installing a floating floor now and want to patch the slab and prevent
insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent"
insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that has
been outlawed and is unavailable now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:37 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These
are at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm
installing a floating floor now and want to patch the slab and prevent
insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent"
insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that has
been outlawed and is unavailable now.

If you're physically blocking the holes, why do you need insecticide?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:37 -0400, Stubby

If you're physically blocking the holes, why do you need insecticide?

Cracks and voids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:37 -0400, Stubby

If you're physically blocking the holes, why do you need insecticide?

Cracks and voids.

How about filling the cracks and voids?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:37 -0400, Stubby

If you're physically blocking the holes, why do you need insecticide?

Cracks and voids.

How about filling the cracks and voids?

Of course. Easier said than done. Getting to the backside of pipes
and into very small cracks is time consuming.
Do you know of an insecticide that will last forever? Liquid is best.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:37 -0400, Stubby

If you're physically blocking the holes, why do you need insecticide?

Cracks and voids.

How about filling the cracks and voids?

Of course. Easier said than done. Getting to the backside of pipes and
into very small cracks is time consuming.
Do you know of an insecticide that will last forever? Liquid is best.
Thanks.

One reason many insecticides are banned is BECAUSE they last forever - they
don't break down into simpler elements over time. That's why you DON'T want
to use them.

Question: When these chemicals leach into the ground, where do you suppose
they sometimes end up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These are
at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm installing a
floating floor now and want to patch the slab and
prevent insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent"
insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that
has been outlawed and is unavailable now.

DDT.

Now available from your local World Health Organization office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These
are at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm
installing a floating floor now and want to patch the slab and prevent
insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent"
insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that has
been outlawed and is unavailable now.

Not sure what those two have in common but no, there is no permanent
pesticide.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Stubby wrote:

I have some crumbled spots in the concrete slab under my house. These are
at the edges where "tackless" strips used to be anchored. I'm installing a
floating floor now and want to patch the slab and
prevent insects from crawling in. Can anyone suggest a "permanent"
insecticide? In the old days we would have used chlordane but that
has been outlawed and is unavailable now.

DDT.

Now available from your local World Health Organization office.

'aint that the truth...!

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

The closest thing to a long lasting insecticide will be filling the
cracks and voids.