Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Time to stock up.

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 07:28, Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

They are scared of you and have gone into hiding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 07:28, Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

“Somewhere in the cosmos, he said, along with all the planets inhabited
by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking treeoids and
superintelligent shades of the color blue, there was also a planet
entirely given over to tape measure life forms. And it was to this
planet that unattended tape measures would make their way, slipping away
quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they knew they could
enjoy a uniquely tape measureoid lifestyle, responding to highly tape
measure-oriented stimuli, and generally leading the tape measures
equivalent of the good life."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 07:28, Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

Don't know if they still have any but Aldi had some good & cheap ones
last week.

These are the mutts nuts
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In.../Tape_Measure/

Especially the 5m Auto Lock GAP Measuring Tape.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 07:28, Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

Have been thinking about a laser measure - lots of house measuring
coming up!

Any opinions on the various measures available? Some of them do appear
to be rather over-priced, so they need to work very well to justify a
purchase.

Bosch GLM 40 Professional at less than £70 is appealing. About twice
what I wanted to pay...

Else I shall be joining the tape measure queue.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Have been thinking about a laser measure
Bosch GLM 40 Professional at less than £70 is appealing.

I have the DLE-40 Professional, bought second hand from eBay, it's
accurate and gives repeatable measurements, very useful when you haven't
got a helping hand available for longer distances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 07:28:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)
--

I wanted simple, lightweight tape measures - most nowadays are suffering
from 'bloat'. Found the simplest was from Wilkinsos, about 80p-odd a cyear
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz Wrote in message:
alan_m wrote:
On 06/04/2016 07:28, Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

?Somewhere in the cosmos, he said, along with all the planets inhabited
by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking treeoids and
superintelligent shades of the color blue, there was also a planet
entirely given over to tape measure life forms. And it was to this
planet that unattended tape measures would make their way, slipping away
quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they knew they could
enjoy a uniquely tape measureoid lifestyle, responding to highly tape
measure-oriented stimuli, and generally leading the tape measures
equivalent of the good life."

And odd socks.

Maybe they are in cahoots with the tape measures.

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC Wrote in message:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 07:28:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)
--

I wanted simple, lightweight tape measures - most nowadays are suffering
from 'bloat'. Found the simplest was from Wilkinsos, about 80p-odd a cyear
or so ago.
I've put them everywhere and gave one to my neighbour so that there's one
there when I need it.
http://www.wilko.com/all-hand-tools/...m/invt/0209348
now 70p!
Some are OK int./ext.; most need a mm of allowance one way.
I take a v. good steel rule with me to check the first 15cm of graduations
and the zer error

It doesn't seem to matter how many I buy, eventually they all go
into hiding.

Of the ones that I can remember, I've got 2x 8m ones, 3x5m and
at least 3x cheapy 3m ones, pus probably a couple of ones I've
forgotten about.

But can I see them anywhere ?

Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 April 2016 18:02:51 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)
Chris French

Maybe they've heard that if we leave the EU we won't be able to use tape measure with the metric system on them. I'm sure that they found this information in some govenerment information sheet to help us decide on a yes or a no.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 09:53:38 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
PeterC Wrote in message:
[...]

Maybe someone will come up with a GPS trackable vrsion for a reasonable price,
that you can find with your smartphone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2016 07:45, F Murtz wrote:

And odd socks.

We had a huge house fire. Everything went up in flames, and we were left
just with the clothes we stood up in. We went on a shopping spree and
bought all new stuff. Within three weeks, we had a basket full of odd
socks again. Who can explain that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 09:41:26 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 07:28:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

I wanted simple, lightweight tape measures - most nowadays are suffering
from 'bloat'.

+1, hugely so. It's hard to find sensible ones at sensible prices. Why would I want to carry around 4x the weight? And pay 4x the price?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 15:01:43 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 7 April 2016 09:41:26 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 07:28:49 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again. Where
are they all? ( I did break one the other week, that doesn't
explain all the others)

I wanted simple, lightweight tape measures - most nowadays are suffering
from 'bloat'.

+1, hugely so. It's hard to find sensible ones at sensible prices. Why would I want to carry around 4x the weight? And pay 4x the price?

Why wouldn't you want a tape measure with a4K HD screen in 3D on the side,
a laser pointer and be able to browser the web, maybe even make a call on it too :-) Bloody single use devices are a waste ot time !.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:18:08 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Chris French wrote:

PeterC Wrote in message:
[...]

Well, if you could find that cluster of ready-readers, youknow, the ones
that are hiding your SK blades...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again.

Anyone remember what the price of the el-cheapo digital vernier
callipers are when they're available in lidaldi?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again.

Anyone remember what the price of the el-cheapo digital vernier callipers are when
they're available in lidaldi?

Around £8 ish ?

Certainly less than a tenner.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 16:42:55 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again.

Anyone remember what the price of the el-cheapo digital vernier
callipers are when they're available in lidaldi?

China via amazon is the cheapest I've seen for various calipers. £8 for vernier is far too much, you can get proper calipers for half that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again.

Anyone remember what the price of the el-cheapo digital vernier
callipers are when they're available in lidaldi?

- China via amazon is the cheapest I've seen for various calipers.
- £8 for vernier is far too much, you can get proper calipers for half that.

- NT

Digital calipers have no vernier. That involves lining the scales up.

Draper used to and maybe still do pressed mild steel vernier calipers
for maybe £5 or less. Haven't seen them but you can probably get
cheapos for even less than that.

Digital are quicker to use and easier to read.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 07/04/2016 07:45, F Murtz wrote:

And odd socks.

We had a huge house fire. Everything went up in flames, and we were left
just with the clothes we stood up in. We went on a shopping spree and
bought all new stuff. Within three weeks, we had a basket full of odd
socks again. Who can explain that?

All the old ones came back?

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again.

Anyone remember what the price of the el-cheapo digital vernier
callipers are when they're available in lidaldi?

- China via amazon is the cheapest I've seen for various calipers.
- £8 for vernier is far too much, you can get proper calipers for half that.

Draper used to and maybe still do pressed mild steel vernier calipers
for maybe £5 or less. Haven't seen them but you can probably get
cheapos for even less than that.

yes, Chinese ones are very cheap, and fine for many purposes.

Digital are quicker to use and easier to read.

but shorter lived & more cost.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
F Murtz wrote

And odd socks.

We had a huge house fire. Everything went up in flames, and we were left
just with the clothes we stood up in. We went on a shopping spree and
bought all new stuff. Within three weeks, we had a basket full of odd
socks again. Who can explain that?

You lot have foot rot, just like the sheep you are.

I don’t have any odd sox, but that is because once I found
the very heavy wool/nylon mix work sox I wear in the winter
and when out walking for exercise all year round, I bought
dozens of them in just two colors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 06/04/16 21:40, polygonum wrote:
ave been thinking about a laser measure - lots of house measuring
coming up!

Any opinions on the various measures available? Some of them do appear
to be rather over-priced, so they need to work very well to justify a
purchase.

I've had a Leica Disto D2 for nearly years now, its accompanied me on
50 house viewings and now I have finally moved (at least I've completed
the move-out phase, the move-in is still short of completion) I expect
it will get a lot more use in future. That was about £150 at the time,
but they have since introduced a more basic model (D110) at around £100.
I find I only realy use the basic distance measuring, very occasionally
the square ft/m² function. I've never found a use for measuring cubes or
height bu triangulation. So the basic version would be enough.

Bosch GLM 40 Professional at less than £70 is appealing. About twice
what I wanted to pay...

Else I shall be joining the tape measure queue.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2016 19:44, DJC wrote:
I've had a Leica Disto D2 for nearly years now, its accompanied me on 50
house viewings and now I have finally moved (at least I've completed the
move-out phase, the move-in is still short of completion) I expect it
will get a lot more use in future. That was about £150 at the time, but
they have since introduced a more basic model (D110) at around £100. I
find I only realy use the basic distance measuring, very occasionally
the square ft/m² function. I've never found a use for measuring cubes or
height bu triangulation. So the basic version would be enough.

The prices of the D2 and D110 seem to be almost the same. But, sadly,
both are more than I am prepared to pay. But thank you.

Possible new house is my justification.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2016 23:54, Andy Burns wrote:

I have the DLE-40 Professional, bought second hand from eBay, it's
accurate and gives repeatable measurements, very useful when you haven't
got a helping hand available for longer distances.

Have so far avoided looking at second-hand - a bit wary of buying one
that has been dropped or whatever! However, appreciated and lack of the
helping hand a lot of the time is part of my reason for looking.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2016 19:33, Rod Speed wrote:

I bought
dozens of them in just two colors.

I disposed of all my socks and then purchased 3 dozen black pairs in the
same design/size.

I then just picked sockets to wear at random from a basket.

Unfortunately after around a year its hard to find a pair that match.
The number of times they have been worn, washed and the amount of time
they have spent on the washing line in the sun, rain and frost have
altered there appearance so now I have 72 odd socks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I have the DLE-40 Professional, bought second hand from eBay

Have so far avoided looking at second-hand - a bit wary of buying one
that has been dropped or whatever!

This one was local collection, so I was able to check it over before buying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I bought dozens of them in just two colors.

And I only have two colors because the very dark redy
brown ones were very hard to find and I had to accept
the light grey/green ones as the second best.

I disposed of all my socks and then purchased 3 dozen black pairs in the
same design/size.

I then just picked sockets to wear at random from a basket.

Unfortunately after around a year its hard to find a pair that match. The
number of times they have been worn, washed and the amount of time they
have spent on the washing line in the sun, rain and frost have altered
there appearance so now I have 72 odd socks.

I don’t get that effect with mine, and I do dry them on the line
outside, but since I have so many clothes its easy to only wash
when it isnt going to rain, let alone frost when drying them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 April 2016 20:43:30 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 07/04/2016 19:33, Rod Speed wrote:

I bought
dozens of them in just two colors.

I disposed of all my socks and then purchased 3 dozen black pairs in the
same design/size.

I then just picked sockets to wear at random from a basket.

Unfortunately after around a year its hard to find a pair that match.
The number of times they have been worn, washed and the amount of time
they have spent on the washing line in the sun, rain and frost have
altered there appearance so now I have 72 odd socks.

every plan backfires.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I bought dozens of them in just two colors.

I disposed of all my socks and then purchased
3 dozen black pairs in the same design/size.

I then just picked sockets to wear at random from a basket.

Unfortunately after around a year its hard to find a pair that match.
The number of times they have been worn, washed and the amount
of time they have spent on the washing line in the sun, rain and frost
have altered there appearance so now I have 72 odd socks.

every plan backfires.

Mine hasn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 07/04/2016 19:44, DJC wrote:
I've had a Leica Disto D2 for nearly years now, its accompanied me on 50
house viewings and now I have finally moved (at least I've completed the
move-out phase, the move-in is still short of completion) I expect it
will get a lot more use in future. That was about £150 at the time, but
they have since introduced a more basic model (D110) at around £100. I
find I only realy use the basic distance measuring, very occasionally
the square ft/m² function. I've never found a use for measuring cubes or
height bu triangulation. So the basic version would be enough.

The prices of the D2 and D110 seem to be almost the same. But, sadly, both are more
than I am prepared to pay. But thank you.

On their website Leica claim to be accurate to within 1.5 mm

And yet on another page in the 10 essential features for such things they
leave out one which I would have thought very important.

The ability to check that when measuring between two walls the line you're
taking is actually perpendicular to those walls and level. Otherwise that mm
precision and accuracy to within 1.5 is of no real use ISTM. Easy enough
to be sure of, if you're measuring close to and alongside a side wall along
the floor, assuming they're square but otherwise not always easy to achieve.

Which would be easy to achieve with these things I imagine if they generated
a number of beams and then took the shortest. But there seems to be no mention
of such a feature on the website or of its desirability.

michael adams

Possible new house is my justification.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

It would seem it's time to stock up on tape measures again.

Anyone remember what the price of the el-cheapo digital vernier
callipers are when they're available in lidaldi?

- China via amazon is the cheapest I've seen for various calipers.
- £8 for vernier is far too much, you can get proper calipers for half that.

Draper used to and maybe still do pressed mild steel vernier calipers
for maybe £5 or less. Haven't seen them but you can probably get
cheapos for even less than that.

- yes, Chinese ones are very cheap, and fine for many purposes.

But not all purposes.

Digital are quicker to use and easier to read.

- but shorter lived & more cost.

They're still a whole lot cheaper than were precison metal vernier
calipers and are no more vulnerable than they were. In fact
less so as there's less to actually damage. The finely tapered
jaws and ease of use are very handy for measuring things
like the body diameter, as well as the the thread diameter of
screws. Which simply involved too much faffing around before.

micheal adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metric-Outsi...ilpage_o07_s00

less so as there's less to actually damage. The finely tapered
jaws and ease of use are very handy for measuring things
like the body diameter, as well as the the thread diameter of
screws. Which simply involved too much faffing around before.

does it?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote
polygonum wrote
DJC wrote

[...]

More fool you.

The ability to check that when measuring between two walls the line you're
taking is actually perpendicular to those walls and level.

Trivial to check that by seeing that you get the
minimum measurement by rotating the device.

Otherwise that mm precision and accuracy to within 1.5 is of no real use
ISTM.

Wrong.

Easy enough to be sure of, if you're measuring close to and alongside a
side wall along the floor, assuming they're square but otherwise not
always easy to achieve.

Trivially easy to rotate it until you get a minimum reading.

Which would be easy to achieve with these things I imagine if they
generated a number of beams and then took the shortest.

And you can do that by rotating it.

But there seems to be no mention of such a feature on the website or of
its desirability.

They assume you have a clue about the basics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

Digital are quicker to use and easier to read.

- but shorter lived & more cost.

They're still a whole lot cheaper than were precison metal vernier
calipers and are no more vulnerable than they were. In fact

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metric-Outsi...ilpage_o07_s00

That's a micrometer.

less so as there's less to actually damage. The finely tapered
jaws and ease of use are very handy for measuring things
like the body diameter,

See above:re lack of tapered jaws, depth bar whatever its called,
etc. etc.

as well as the the thread diameter of
screws. Which simply involved too much faffing around before.

does it?

You're sounding increasingly like Wodney.

Asking one or two word questions hoping no doubt to
elicit a fulsome response.

The mark of the t...., if ever there was one.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
michael adams wrote

garbage snipped

Trivial to check that by seeing that you get the
minimum measurement by rotating the device.

Even more trivial if the device does it for itself.

Next !

even more garbage snipped

michael adams