Posted to rec.woodworking

Default laminating cherry stock for a gun stock

I have some great cherry stock I want to make into a rifle stock. All
boards are 3/4 stock cut to rough length. I need to know if anyone has
a good technique for laminating stock this thick, I need to get a
blank 3" thick. What amount of pressure is needed?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

boards are 3/4 stock cut to rough length. I need to know if anyone has
a good technique for laminating stock this thick, I need to get a
blank 3" thick. What amount of pressure is needed?

I don't think any great amount of pressure is needed - it's more
important to get all the boards as flat as possible (or cut into
exactly complimentary hills/valleys, I suppose, but that'd probably be
a lot harder than getting them all flat). Do you have a jointer? Or
some hand planes and patience? If not, you might look into renting or
borrowing time on someone else's jointer. If you bought the cherry at
a real hardwood dealer, they might do it for you for a small fee.
As far as laminating technique, you just get the boards flat, glue
them together (any kind of glue will work, TBIII or epoxy would be
best for water resistance), and clamp them. Use clamping cauls (DAGS)
if you don't have enough clamps, or if you don't have clamps that
reach deep enough.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

As others have said, the amount of pressure is not a critical factor.
In fact, too much might starve the joint. Even pressure and flat
surfaces are the key elements. I've built several laminated stocks
with fairly standard woodworking practices and had no problems.

1. Epoxy glue is a key. I haven't tried TB III as it wasn't around
when I did this. I used good old Acra Glass from Brownells because I
knew it from bedding actions and I trusted the stuff.

2. Watch the grain in the boards. Try to alternate up grain and down
to reduce any twisting (a twisted gun stock is not a good thing if you
want to hit what you aim at).

3. For a 4 board stack, glue 2 together as one stack, 2 together as
another. Allow to cure, re flatten if needed and glue the 2 stacks
together. I find it easier to get consistent pressure on the stack
this way.

That stock, if the cherry is nicely figured and the glue-up is well
done, is going to be awesome! Not sure game won't get spooked by the
glow, but it'll sure look nice!

If you like, take a look at:

http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/ind...l/Gun%20Stock/

This isn't a laminated stock, just the one I did last.

BTW, some of the images have NOT been re-sampled to 72 DPI, so they're
pretty big.

Regards.

Tom

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:39:35 -0700, wrote:

I have some great cherry stock I want to make into a rifle stock. All
boards are 3/4 stock cut to rough length. I need to know if anyone has
a good technique for laminating stock this thick, I need to get a
blank 3" thick. What amount of pressure is needed?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom B" wrote

If you like, take a look at:

http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/ind...l/Gun%20Stock/

This isn't a laminated stock, just the one I did last.

That is a beauty!!

Good job.

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article , Tom B
wrote:

That stock, if the cherry is nicely figured and the glue-up is well
done, is going to be awesome! Not sure game won't get spooked by the
glow, but it'll sure look nice!

Not if he paints it a nice flat black!

:-)

Joe
running for the bunker
Posted to rec.woodworking

ROFL - could always use Minwax Dark Walnut stain on it instead!

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:58:32 -0400, 10x wrote:

Not if he paints it a nice flat black!

:-)

Joe
running for the bunker