Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Time to stock up.

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 07/04/2016 19:44, DJC wrote:
I've had a Leica Disto D2 for nearly years now, its accompanied me on 50
house viewings and now I have finally moved (at least I've completed the
move-out phase, the move-in is still short of completion) I expect it
will get a lot more use in future. That was about £150 at the time, but
they have since introduced a more basic model (D110) at around £100. I
find I only realy use the basic distance measuring, very occasionally
the square ft/m² function. I've never found a use for measuring cubes or
height bu triangulation. So the basic version would be enough.

The prices of the D2 and D110 seem to be almost the same. But, sadly, both are more
than I am prepared to pay. But thank you.

On their website Leica claim to be accurate to within 1.5 mm

And yet on another page in the 10 essential features for such things they
leave out one which I would have thought very important.

The ability to check that when measuring between two walls the line you're
taking is actually perpendicular to those walls and level. Otherwise that mm
precision and accuracy to within 1.5 is of no real use ISTM. Easy enough
to be sure of, if you're measuring close to and alongside a side wall along
the floor, assuming they're square but otherwise not always easy to achieve.

Which would be easy to achieve with these things I imagine if they generated
a number of beams and then took the shortest. But there seems to be no mention
of such a feature on the website or of its desirability.

michael adams

Possible new house is my justification.

--
Rod