Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much grease in a Kenwood gear box.

I have been given a tub of grease to go with the new gears and box. Should I fill the gearbox up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:25:38 -0700 (PDT), zaax
wrote:

I have been given a tub of grease to go with the new gears and box. Should I fill the gearbox up?

No, I don't think you generally fill any gearboxes up completely (you
need some airspace for expansion) but I would put enough in to ensure
the key moving parts were always in contact with some grease.

You often find such things with all the grease packed round the
outside and none actually on the moving parts. Windscreen wiper motors
spring to mind.

As long as the design of the gearbox was oil tight, I might be tempted
to put a drop of heavy oil in there as well to ensure the grease says
fairly 'mobile'.

The need for that may depend on how warm the gearbox gets in typical
use, as if it does warm up, that may help to keep the grease soft /
mobile in any case.

Cheers, T i m

Gear puller for DC cordless drill motor gear? John Doe Metalworking 9 February 27th 16 08:33 AM
Gear grease? John Doe Metalworking 15 September 27th 13 12:24 AM
Screwcutting Gear Ratio Calculator Threading Screw Cutting Lathe Gear Selector Wild_Bill Metalworking 4 April 9th 12 12:26 AM
Gear hobber gear train set-up Mark Maglana Metalworking 7 August 26th 05 02:01 AM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM