Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Darwin award

A teenager who was using her mobile phone while taking a bath has died
after it fell in the water and electrocuted her.

The unnamed 14-year-old had plugged her phone into a charger that was
connected to an extension lead at the time.

Her devastated mother found the body of her daughter in the bath in
their home in Moscow, Russia, after realising that she had been in
locked bathroom for a long time.

The mother then forced her way inside after getting no response from her
daughter before finding her lifeless body inside.

The victim had reportedly been so badly electrocuted that her body had
started to burn.

Her mother said that the teenager had the charger in her hands and the
mobile phone was on the floor, and she had used an extension lead
because there were no plugs in the bathroom.

Prosecutor Yulia Ivanova told local media: Currently we are still
investigating and will make a decision on what action to take, if any,
once the investigation is completed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2016 13:16, GB wrote:
[...]

It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not really
the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not really
the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well, quite. But you can't expect the meja to know the difference. To
them, it was the phone.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nick wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not really
the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well, quite. But you can't expect the meja to know the difference. To
them, it was the phone.

I think they know the difference, but went for the more exciting headline.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 February 2016 13:26:57 UTC, Nick wrote:
On 23/02/2016 13:16, GB wrote:
[...]

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not really
the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have been
all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult or
religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 February 2016 16:37:07 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not really
the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have been
all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult or
religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

It can;t be a cult with that many users, the newton was a cult device.
I dont see sales of 700 million beign a cult product.

Not sure it's over priced either, but then I don't have a smartphone.
But those I know do seem to prefer iphones.
I'd only listen to those thgat use or have used both anyway, and of those they seem to prefer Apple.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:36:47 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not
really the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have
been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult
or religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO. They are a fashion statement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not
really the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have
been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult
or religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO. They are a fashion statement.

Whilst they may be for some (or were at least), I think some people
appreciate the UI because it allows *them* to do things they
previously couldn't with their non iPhone and possibly even an Android
phone.

This was the case for my mates Mrs when she first got her iPhone and
who could then take a picture an email it to someone, something she
couldn't have done previously (the phone could do it, she couldn't).

I know the UI makes a big difference because I know the Apple UI isn't
as intuitive to me as that of Android.

My 85 year old Mum has and loves her iPad but even though it is fairly
easy for non technical people to use (that was part of their design
goals), she doesn't really understand past what little she actually
uses regularly.

Daughter has never liked (or owned) any of the iStuff but then she is
reasonably computer literate [1] so able to rip her own CD's and move
the files onto her 'basic' MP3 player herself. 'Most people' couldn't
do that and hence how the whole iTMS iTunes iDevice thing took
off.

Cheers, T i m

[1] She recently upgraded the uSD card in her Galaxy Android phone and
used her laptop to copy the photos off the old card and back onto the
new one, plus move all the photos left on the phone internal memory
onto the new card as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not
really the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have
been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult
or religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO. They are a fashion statement.

Apple's own advertising slogan was:
"If you haven't got an iPhone, you haven't got an iPhone."

Says it all doesn't it?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not
really the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have
been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult
or religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO.

They can be, particularly by those who want the best
security that the sandboxing gives. Nothing like that
with the alternatives. You dont have to care what an
app might be doing with the data that belongs to
other apps, because it cant have any access to
anything that you dont allow it to have.

They are a fashion statement.

Plenty of the time they are bought by those who want
a much better done product which does things better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO. They are a fashion statement.

That applies to any so-called "smart" phone. All completely unnecessary.

I'd agree. In the main. I do find having a decent camera in a phone very
useful, though. And sadly, the better camera phones only come in the smart
phones.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2016 23:05, Tim Streater wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not
really the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have
been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult
or religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO. They are a fashion statement.

That applies to any so-called "smart" phone. All completely unnecessary.

You don't need computers either.
Life would continue without technology, but not as we know it.
I like having a hand held computer even though I don't think android is
particularly good, the choice being dictated by wanting the hardware to
be waterproof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:
It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not
really the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

Well it couldn;t have been an iphone otherwise the media would have
been all over it claiming Apple are murders.

Natural reaction to the nonsense from Apple users. Seems more of a cult
or religion than a bloody overpriced and hyped phone. ;-)

iPhones aren't a technical choice IMHO. They are a fashion statement.

That applies to any so-called "smart" phone. All completely unnecessary.

Not to everybody. I find my smart phone extremely useful, and generally
speaking wouldn't be without it when out and about. I hardly ever make
or receive phone calls, though.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo , Nick
escribi:

It sounds as if she dropped the extension lead in the bath, not really
the same as dropping her charging phone in the bath.

I offer this without comment:

http://www.linuxno.de/_data/gallery/nwl7/DSCN7825.JPG

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2016 13:16, GB wrote:
[...]

I call bull****.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

She had charger in hand, does not take much to figure out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of countries
allow this.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of countries
allow this.

The only time we use mains in the bathroom is when my wife is trimming my
hair with the mains-powered clippers (the sort with various plastic combs
for Number 1, Number 2 etc). But when I sit on the side of the bath there's
no water in the bath or anywhere around and I keep well away from the taps
which will be earthed. So if anything shorts I'm sitting in an insulated
bath (fibreglass, not enamel on metal).

The ideal would be to get some battery-powered clippers...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of countries
allow this.

The only time we use mains in the bathroom is when my wife is trimming my
hair with the mains-powered clippers (the sort with various plastic combs
for Number 1, Number 2 etc). But when I sit on the side of the bath
there's no water in the bath or anywhere around and I keep well away from
the taps which will be earthed. So if anything shorts I'm sitting in an
insulated bath (fibreglass, not enamel on metal).

I use mine in there all the time and dont bother to keep away from metal.

And dont keep away from metal when using appliances in the kitchen either.

The ideal would be to get some battery-powered clippers...

Mine are in fact rechargeable and while the battery is still fine
I normally do use them battery powered, but it works fine while
being charged so when the battery is dying I use it plugged into
the charger.

And mine is a combined bathroom laundry so has the washing
machine etc in it too. And I do the distilling there too, electric still.

And in the coldest weather have been known to have a couple
of fan heaters on now that I dont bother to heat the house in
the winter. Its a passive solar house, but after a run of heavy
overcast weather with the max temp not getting over 0C outside,
it can get a bit cold in the bathroom in those conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of countries
allow this.

The only time we use mains in the bathroom is when my wife is trimming my
hair with the mains-powered clippers (the sort with various plastic combs
for Number 1, Number 2 etc). But when I sit on the side of the bath there's
no water in the bath or anywhere around and I keep well away from the taps
which will be earthed. So if anything shorts I'm sitting in an insulated
bath (fibreglass, not enamel on metal).

The ideal would be to get some battery-powered clippers...

I plug mine into a shaver socket.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

The only time we use mains in the bathroom is when my wife is trimming my
hair with the mains-powered clippers
The ideal would be to get some battery-powered clippers...

The Wahl 802X Li-ion ones have plenty of oomph ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of countries
allow this.

In fact its only really Britain of the majors that doesnt, stupidly IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of
countries allow this.

In fact its only really Britain of the majors that doesnt, stupidly
IMO.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...g/arbvFRAzMq0J
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-settlers.html

You are and always will be a very stupid Australian ******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

I'm surprised there wasn't a socket in the bathroom. Plenty of countries
allow this.

In fact its only really Britain of the majors that doesn't, stupidly IMO.

Why is it stupid, we can see what happens when electrica equipment is used in the bath. I thought the problme was that our regs require bathrooms to be earthed taps/pipes etc, where not all countires do.
If you have a bathroom that isn't earthed then uo'r likey to be safer using and electrical applience while sitting in the bath.

of course the answer now is to buy a bath with USB ports built in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 February 2016 13:53:54 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:46:26 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I call bull****.

Cheers

Not sure, but running extension leads into bathrooms is asking for
trouble.

That's why you're not supposed to do it, well not in the UK, I think the french
don't have a problem doing it according to my french flatmate at the time
when she asked how am I going to dry my hair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/16 13:16, GB wrote:
[...]

My father had to once give "expert witness" at an inquest in the 50s,
where a man had electrocuted himself when the small electric heater he
had balanced on the side of the metal bath, fell in.

Not quite sure why the Coronors' wanted an expert witness, but there you
go...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
My father had to once give "expert witness" at an inquest in the 50s,
where a man had electrocuted himself when the small electric heater he
had balanced on the side of the metal bath, fell in.

Used to be pretty common before central heating arrived.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
My father had to once give "expert witness" at an inquest in the 50s,
where a man had electrocuted himself when the small electric heater he
had balanced on the side of the metal bath, fell in.

Used to be pretty common before central heating arrived.

When I was a child ... we had a radiant heater in the bathroom. However,
it was screwed to the wall, high up, and the opposite side of the room
to the bath. So, the potential danger had been spotted and compensated for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
My father had to once give "expert witness" at an inquest in the 50s,
where a man had electrocuted himself when the small electric heater he
had balanced on the side of the metal bath, fell in.

Used to be pretty common before central heating arrived.

When I was a child ... we had a radiant heater in the bathroom. However,
it was screwed to the wall, high up, and the opposite side of the room
to the bath. So, the potential danger had been spotted and compensated
for.

Had this in our first house - 1964. I ddin't get round to installing
central heating until a few years later.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:08:44 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , GB
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
My father had to once give "expert witness" at an inquest in the 50s,
where a man had electrocuted himself when the small electric heater he
had balanced on the side of the metal bath, fell in.

Used to be pretty common before central heating arrived.

When I was a child ... we had a radiant heater in the bathroom. However,
it was screwed to the wall, high up, and the opposite side of the room
to the bath. So, the potential danger had been spotted and compensated
for.

Had this in our first house - 1964. I ddin't get round to installing
central heating until a few years later.

Mum only has a heated towel rail in her bathroom but also has one of
the radiant heaters we describe.

It does have it's advantages and I guess may depend what you are used
to to determine if it's adequate or not?

Like some people have their houses pretty hot and so can walk anywhere
wearing next to nothing and be warm. Mum (or even me) is more used to
having one warm room (the lounge) and just getting dressed or washed
and dried 'sharpish' in the winter and not wandering around half naked
in any case. ;-)

The other good thing about the instant radiant heaters is they can be
handy when you have a single chilly day or night where it's not worth
turning the CH on and you just want the warmth for a few minutes.

I am still considering a radiant heater for the workshop as it
wouldn't take up any floor space (unlike a fan heater) and would give
you some warmth without trying to heat up the whole (uninsulated)
workshop?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
My father had to once give "expert witness" at an inquest in the 50s,
where a man had electrocuted himself when the small electric heater he
had balanced on the side of the metal bath, fell in.

Used to be pretty common before central heating arrived.

When I was a child ... we had a radiant heater in the bathroom. However,
it was screwed to the wall, high up, and the opposite side of the room
to the bath. So, the potential danger had been spotted and compensated
for.

Yes - we had one too. More of a token than room heater. ;-)

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
A teenager who was using her mobile phone while taking a bath has died
after it fell in the water and electrocuted her.

Hmm, see below....

Her mother said that the teenager had the charger in her hands and the
mobile phone was on the floor, and she had used an extension lead
because there were no plugs in the bathroom.

So it didn't "fall in the water".

I've never really believed in this "throw something electrical in the
bath to kill someone" nonsense.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

GB wrote:
A teenager who was using her mobile phone while taking a bath has died
after it fell in the water and electrocuted her.

Hmm, see below....

Her mother said that the teenager had the charger in her hands and the
mobile phone was on the floor, and she had used an extension lead
because there were no plugs in the bathroom.

So it didn't "fall in the water".

I've never really believed in this "throw something electrical in the
bath to kill someone" nonsense.

OK. Go and give it a try. Report back ASAP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard was thinking very hard :
So it didn't "fall in the water".

I've never really believed in this "throw something electrical in the
bath to kill someone" nonsense.

OK. Go and give it a try. Report back ASAP.

I'm a bit sceptical too. Normally there will be a voltage gradient
effect, but very difficult to calculate.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/02/2016 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Richard was thinking very hard :
So it didn't "fall in the water".

I've never really believed in this "throw something electrical in the
bath to kill someone" nonsense.

OK. Go and give it a try. Report back ASAP.

I'm a bit sceptical too. Normally there will be a voltage gradient
effect, but very difficult to calculate.

It works in Bond films. Surely, that must mean it's true?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/16 09:59, GB wrote:
On 24/02/2016 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Richard was thinking very hard :
So it didn't "fall in the water".

I've never really believed in this "throw something electrical in the
bath to kill someone" nonsense.

OK. Go and give it a try. Report back ASAP.

I'm a bit sceptical too. Normally there will be a voltage gradient
effect, but very difficult to calculate.

It works in Bond films. Surely, that must mean it's true?

There are enough incidents of death occurring to make it if not
guaranteed fatal, certainly close to it.

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2016 09:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Richard was thinking very hard :
So it didn't "fall in the water".

I've never really believed in this "throw something electrical in the
bath to kill someone" nonsense.

OK. Go and give it a try. Report back ASAP.

I'm a bit sceptical too. Normally there will be a voltage gradient
effect, but very difficult to calculate.

My initial thoughts were along those lines too, but thinking some more,
if you drop something live into the earthed bath your immediate reaction
may well be to remove it. You pick it up and bingo, all the current
flow is now through your arms and torso to the bath.

I imagine your muscles would spasm and you'd drop/throw it, but it's not
inconceivable that you could get tangled somehow.

We need to experiment.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/02/2016 10:07, Syd Rumpo wrote:

My initial thoughts were along those lines too, but thinking some more,
if you drop something live into the earthed bath your immediate reaction
may well be to remove it. You pick it up and bingo, all the current
flow is now through your arms and torso to the bath.

I imagine your muscles would spasm and you'd drop/throw it, but it's not
inconceivable that you could get tangled somehow.

The information I picked up from somewhere-or-other is that your muscles
do spasm, so you cannot let go!

Another Darwin award candidate? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 89 July 15th 15 09:25 PM
Darwin Award candidate John UK diy 6 September 30th 10 07:54 PM
Off Topic: Darwin Award Lee Michaels Woodworking 62 March 5th 10 11:02 PM
DIY Darwin Award candidate Dave Baker UK diy 10 March 28th 08 10:28 PM
OT ish Darwin Award The Medway Handyman UK diy 46 May 30th 07 07:01 PM