Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Darwin Award candidate

In Derby:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying 33,000
volts has been transferred to Birmingham Hospital with "extensive" burns.
A power surge at the site in Victory Road, Sinfin, alerted staff at Central
Networks to a problem at about 5pm yesterday and, at the same time, police
received reports of an injured man in the street.

Inspector Nigel Lidsey said officers had arrested a man, who was taken to
the Royal Derby Hospital. This morning he was transferred to the burns unit
at Birmingham."

No doubt we will soon hear what a good person he is and how he cared for his
mother, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
In Derby:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying 33,000
volts has been transferred to Birmingham Hospital with "extensive" burns.
A power surge at the site in Victory Road, Sinfin, alerted staff at Central
Networks to a problem at about 5pm yesterday and, at the same time, police
received reports of an injured man in the street.

Inspector Nigel Lidsey said officers had arrested a man, who was taken to
the Royal Derby Hospital. This morning he was transferred to the burns unit
at Birmingham."

No doubt we will soon hear what a good person he is and how he cared for his
mother, etc.

And was trying to nick the copper wire for her arthritis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:23:46 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

John wrote:
In Derby:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying 33,000
volts has been transferred to Birmingham Hospital with "extensive" burns.

Inspector Nigel Lidsey said officers had arrested a man, who was taken to
the Royal Derby Hospital. This morning he was transferred to the burns unit
at Birmingham."

No doubt we will soon hear what a good person he is and how he cared for his
mother, etc.

And was trying to nick the copper wire for her arthritis.

He was a down to earth chap.

G.harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

John wrote:
In Derby:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying
33,000
volts has been transferred to Birmingham Hospital with "extensive"
burns.

Inspector Nigel Lidsey said officers had arrested a man, who was taken
the Royal Derby Hospital. This morning he was transferred to the burns
unit
at Birmingham."

No doubt we will soon hear what a good person he is and how he cared for
his
mother, etc.

And was trying to nick the copper wire for her arthritis.

He was a down to earth chap.

G.harman

But it phased him.

Previously he had been quite neutral!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:21:38 +0100, John wrote:
In Derby:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying
33,000 volts

What, did he have 'em in a bucket, or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying 33,000
volts has been transferred to Birmingham Hospital with "extensive" burns.
A power surge at the site in Victory Road, Sinfin, alerted staff at Central
Networks to a problem at about 5pm yesterday and, at the same time, police
received reports of an injured man in the street.

I've been on a course over the last few weeks, and on that course is a
chap who works for Eon (Used to be CEGB in the Midlands - main power
suppliers), and he has to attend to all of these reports of shorts and
power surges. It costs the power companies thousands per week. When the
wires are chopped through, there can be either a surge down the neutral,
or earth lines to the consumers, depending on how the idiots cut through
the wires.
This causes anything plugged in to be shorted out and burnt in a split
second. His team have to go round and repair all of the customers
property, which generally means a rewire and replacement of many
household electrical appliances.
I asked about a surge protector to guard against such a thing, but he
says that they are no good against such a short, as they only cut the
live (generally) and these surges come down the neutral usually.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
In Derby:

"A MAN suspected of breaking into an electricity substation carrying
33,000 volts has been transferred to Birmingham Hospital with "extensive"
burns.
A power surge at the site in Victory Road, Sinfin, alerted staff at
Central Networks to a problem at about 5pm yesterday and, at the same
time, police received reports of an injured man in the street.

Inspector Nigel Lidsey said officers had arrested a man, who was taken to
the Royal Derby Hospital. This morning he was transferred to the burns
unit at Birmingham."

No doubt we will soon hear what a good person he is and how he cared for
his mother, etc.

I grassed on a bloke digging up the cables in a substation near where I work
last week.
the police arrived with a CN engineer but they were too late, he had ridden
off on a bike.
I don't think they got him.
CN have replaced the barbed wire in an attempt to stop him coming back with
a hacksaw.
The contractors were surprised when I asked them what they were doing but
agreed that connecting the barbed wire to the mains would be a good idea.
The 11kV side i hope.