Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticky Rubberised Plastic Finish - A Cure?

Seem to be a widespread problem with rubberised plastic finishes, they
often turn into a gooey mess eventually for which there seems to be no
obvious solution - all the usual solvents don't touch it or make it
worse. Seems to happen on expensive stuff as well. Searches don't seem
to throw up a cure other than a messy temporary fix with talcum powder.
Some suggest IPA but this does not work IME.

As a last resort, on trying more of the assorted fluids in the garage,
brake fluid seems to work well. Polishing with a cloth soaked in brake
fluid seems to remove the sticky component selectively without damaging
the rest of the surface - or even affecting lettering and other markings.

Anyone else tried this?

One for the FAQ perhaps?

Chris K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I imagine the solution depends on the material. Brake fluid as far as I'm
aware repels water I think so may well be sealing the surface. I always
thought this sticky issue was the break down of the material as the
plasticiser leaches out.
Brian

o.uk...

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:41:13 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I imagine the solution depends on the material. Brake fluid as far as I'm
aware repels water I think so may well be sealing the surface. I always
thought this sticky issue was the break down of the material as the
plasticiser leaches out.
Brian

I always thought break fluid absorbed water, given half a chance.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ChrisK
writes
Seem to be a widespread problem with rubberised plastic finishes, they
often turn into a gooey mess eventually for which there seems to be no
obvious solution - all the usual solvents don't touch it or make it
worse. Seems to happen on expensive stuff as well. Searches don't seem
throw up a cure other than a messy temporary fix with talcum powder.
Some suggest IPA but this does not work IME.

As a last resort, on trying more of the assorted fluids in the garage,
brake fluid seems to work well. Polishing with a cloth soaked in brake
fluid seems to remove the sticky component selectively without damaging
the rest of the surface - or even affecting lettering and other markings.

Anyone else tried this?

One for the FAQ perhaps?

ISTR a thread on this a little while back
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
I imagine the solution depends on the material. Brake fluid as far as
I'm aware repels water I think so may well be sealing the surface. I
always thought this sticky issue was the break down of the material as
the plasticiser leaches out.
Brian

Not sure, seems to be a specific problem with the rubberised finishes -
not the underlying material which is probably ABS or something similar.
It may be a reaction of the finish with skin oils over time but I'm
not convinced this is the whole story. It seems to attack the entire
surface without any particular focus on the bits that are touched. I've
never seen it on plastics which are the same or similar base material
without the rubberised finish.

Chris K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2016 09:06, ChrisK wrote:

It's an old bottle of "Comma Universal Brake Fluid DOT3/4" that has been
around for several years and I wouldn't trust for its intended purpose
any more.

Some of the old stuff used to strip paint so I wouldn't trust it to
clean anything.
It was also very flammable and was what caused fires in crashes, not the
petrol. You can pour petrol on the exhaust manifold and it won't ignite,
the old brake fluid would ignite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 08:09:17 +0000, Chris French wrote:

As a last resort, on trying more of the assorted fluids in the

garage,
brake fluid seems to work well.kings.

Anyone else tried this?

One for the FAQ perhaps?

ISTR a thread on this a little while back

ISTR writing an page for the FAQ.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Touch_Removal

I have a laser pointer with a "soft touch" coating and I think there
is an bottle of brake fluid in the garage that has been open a year
or so. As I don't like soft touch coatings, sticky or not....

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2016 10:22, dennis@home wrote:

On 14/01/2016 09:06, ChrisK wrote:

It's an old bottle of "Comma Universal Brake Fluid DOT3/4" that has been
around for several years and I wouldn't trust for its intended purpose
any more.

Some of the old stuff used to strip paint so I wouldn't trust it to
clean anything.
It was also very flammable and was what caused fires in crashes, not the
petrol. You can pour petrol on the exhaust manifold and it won't ignite,
the old brake fluid would ignite.

OMG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

For petrol it's around -43C. For DOT 3/4 its 125C

You have excelled yourself this time.

Even the "old stuff" was either glycol or heavy mineral based, possibly
some vegetable oil. None had a flash point lower than petrol.

You do know the difference between petrol and diesel? Perhaps you're
getting the two muddled up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 21:11:08 UTC, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/01/2016 10:22, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/01/2016 09:06, ChrisK wrote:

It's an old bottle of "Comma Universal Brake Fluid DOT3/4" that has been
around for several years and I wouldn't trust for its intended purpose
any more.

Some of the old stuff used to strip paint so I wouldn't trust it to
clean anything.
It was also very flammable and was what caused fires in crashes, not the
petrol. You can pour petrol on the exhaust manifold and it won't ignite,
the old brake fluid would ignite.

OMG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

For petrol it's around -43C. For DOT 3/4 its 125C

You have excelled yourself this time.

just this time?

Even the "old stuff" was either glycol or heavy mineral based, possibly
some vegetable oil. None had a flash point lower than petrol.

You do know the difference between petrol and diesel? Perhaps you're
getting the two muddled up?

arse... elbow... arse... elbow... practice Dennis, Harry & Rod.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

It's auto ignition point that is under discussion though which isn't the
same as flash point.

I've certainly seen the demo of brake fluid Vs petrol on a hot manifold. I
think it was on "Fifth Gear" many moons ago. Dunno if brake fluid is still
as dangerous though.

Petrol is funny stuff. You can't set light to it with a cigarette end
(which rather makes a mockery of all those scenes in films when someone
flicks a smoking fag-end into a puddle of petrol setting it slight).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Now you've done it (mental picture of daisy chain with arms inserted up to
elbows)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 21:10, Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

Try it if you don't believe me.
Petrol just vaporises and won't ignite unless there is a spark or flame.
Brake fluid smokes and ignites.
Flashpoint doesn't tell you much about ignition just when it forms an
explosive vapour.

You really need to read more than wiki.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2016 22:37, Tim+ wrote:
I Fredxxx wrote:
[...]

There are a few prats that post here that think they know everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 8:20:09 AM UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message , ChrisK
writes
Seem to be a widespread problem with rubberised plastic finishes, they
often turn into a gooey mess eventually for which there seems to be no
obvious solution - all the usual solvents don't touch it or make it
worse. Seems to happen on expensive stuff as well. Searches don't seem
throw up a cure other than a messy temporary fix with talcum powder.
Some suggest IPA but this does not work IME.

As a last resort, on trying more of the assorted fluids in the garage,
brake fluid seems to work well. Polishing with a cloth soaked in brake
fluid seems to remove the sticky component selectively without damaging
the rest of the surface - or even affecting lettering and other markings..

Anyone else tried this?

This recipe sounded so unlikely that when I found some ancient brake fluid tidying up in my father's garage I had to try it on a plastic vacuum cleaner casing that had gone all gooey I was about to take to the tip. To my utter amazement it works as advertised and removes the tacky residual leaving clean plastic underneath with a slight loss of the original matt finish as a result of polishing the goo off. But it worked and the plastic was renovated.

Only really any good on nice smooth moulded shells but amazingly it does seem to work and doesn't affect the typical pigment paint used on the plastic..
(although that must be marginal)

One for the FAQ perhaps?

ISTR a thread on this a little while back

I am surprised how selective a solvent it was - just the right properties to dissolve the unwanted short chain polymers and plasticisers but not enough to attack the sound plastic or printing inks on it.

Swarfega is good for removing the final traces of brake fluid afterwards.

Regards,
Martin Brown

OT sticky yellow plastic Stormin Mormon[_10_] Home Repair 31 October 21st 14 11:56 PM
OT - plastic jar sticky stuff Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 20 February 17th 13 06:06 PM
Sticky finish problem Doug Woodworking 5 April 16th 06 11:28 AM
Can sticky back plastic be used outside? Nige UK diy 6 April 2nd 06 08:38 PM
sticky-back plastic Suz UK diy 18 November 25th 03 11:05 PM