Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_5_] dennis@home[_5_] is offline

Default Sticky Rubberised Plastic Finish - A Cure?

On 17/01/2016 21:10, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/01/2016 10:22, dennis@home wrote:

On 14/01/2016 09:06, ChrisK wrote:

It's an old bottle of "Comma Universal Brake Fluid DOT3/4" that has been
around for several years and I wouldn't trust for its intended purpose
any more.

Some of the old stuff used to strip paint so I wouldn't trust it to
clean anything.
It was also very flammable and was what caused fires in crashes, not the
petrol. You can pour petrol on the exhaust manifold and it won't ignite,
the old brake fluid would ignite.

OMG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

For petrol it's around -43C. For DOT 3/4 its 125C

You have excelled yourself this time.

Even the "old stuff" was either glycol or heavy mineral based, possibly
some vegetable oil. None had a flash point lower than petrol.

You do know the difference between petrol and diesel? Perhaps you're
getting the two muddled up?

Try it if you don't believe me.
Petrol just vaporises and won't ignite unless there is a spark or flame.
Brake fluid smokes and ignites.
Flashpoint doesn't tell you much about ignition just when it forms an
explosive vapour.

You really need to read more than wiki.