Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - plastic jar sticky stuff

I've been buying off brand of salted peanuts.
The jars are a good size, and I'd like to use
them for other things. The label cuts off, but
leaves some sticky adhesive on the side of
the jar.

How to remove the sticky? I've been using
WD-40 and paper towels. Is there a better
way?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I've been buying off brand of salted peanuts.
The jars are a good size, and I'd like to use
them for other things. The label cuts off, but
leaves some sticky adhesive on the side of
the jar.

How to remove the sticky? I've been using
WD-40 and paper towels. Is there a better
way?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind
for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.

That's really the only reason I buy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been buying off brand of salted peanuts.
The jars are a good size, and I'd like to use
them for other things. The label cuts off, but
leaves some sticky adhesive on the side of
the jar.

How to remove the sticky? I've been using
WD-40 and paper towels. Is there a better
way?

I use some oily stuff called De-Solv-It but I've heard that any kind of
oil based such as WD-40, olive oil, Goo Gone, will work.

My WD-40 is in the garage, but my desolvit and olive oil are in the
kitchen where I'm usually doing that :-)

I've also used hair dryer heat for some label removing projects so that
the glue comes off with the label.

And I buy my salted roasted Spanish peanuts in bulk now that I
discovered them at my nearby produce store, so I don't get any more cans
with them. Being a can saver, I just pour my bulk peanuts into the old
cans with plastic lids.

--
Mike Easter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2013 03:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind
for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.

What's the difference between the two?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I negledted to write that the jars are plastic. That said, Ronsonol and
cotton swabs might be the answer. Thanks.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind
for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.

That's really the only reason I buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd not thought of cooking oil. Might work. Thanks.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mike Easter" wrote in message

I use some oily stuff called De-Solv-It but I've heard that any kind of
oil based such as WD-40, olive oil, Goo Gone, will work.

My WD-40 is in the garage, but my desolvit and olive oil are in the
kitchen where I'm usually doing that :-)

I've also used hair dryer heat for some label removing projects so that
the glue comes off with the label.

And I buy my salted roasted Spanish peanuts in bulk now that I
discovered them at my nearby produce store, so I don't get any more cans
with them. Being a can saver, I just pour my bulk peanuts into the old
cans with plastic lids.

--
Mike Easter

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
On 02/14/2013 03:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind
for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.

What's the difference between the two?

Jon

Zippo Cigarette Lighter Fluid:

http://www.co.vermilion.il.us/MSDS/E...0Fluid-USA.pdf

Kingsford Charcoal Lighter Fluid

http://callico.chemtel.net/msds/CP-71175.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I negledted to write that the jars are plastic. That said, Ronsonol and
cotton swabs might be the answer. Thanks.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind
for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.

That's really the only reason I buy it.

Why does plastic matter? Why cotton swaps? I use paper towels.

Squeeze the fluid over the glue residue. Soak the paper towel also. Wipe.
Repeat as required.

Keep changing the paper towels since the residue will build up on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some fluids will melt through some plastics.

Paper towels are good. I've got plenty of napkins from BK and McD.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Why does plastic matter? Why cotton swaps? I use paper towels.

Squeeze the fluid over the glue residue. Soak the paper towel also. Wipe.
Repeat as required.

Keep changing the paper towels since the residue will build up on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use plastic jars for storage all the time. Each
brand seems to use a different adhesive . These
are the steps I use for a new jar I haven't
figured out :

With the lid off, immerse the jar in a bowl of water
for about a half hour. Some glues dissolve in
water.

If it doesn't work, try swabbing the glue with
alcohol . Some glues dissolve in alcohol.

Next try will be gasoline. Wet a cloth with
gasoline and see if that takes it off.. I've
never had to go past this step...

Next suggestion would be acetone.

None of these above will have an effect on
plastic, but if you doubt it, just dab a little
on the bottom of the jar to see if anything
changes.. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been buying off brand of salted peanuts.
The jars are a good size, and I'd like to use
them for other things. The label cuts off, but
leaves some sticky adhesive on the side of
the jar.

How to remove the sticky? I've been using
WD-40 and paper towels. Is there a better
way?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Rubbing alcohol sometimes works on label glue. If not, then Goo Gone will
likely dissolve the stuff. Either one is safer to use than gasoline, acetone
or paint thinner. Goo Gone smells like citrus oil and is marked non toxic.

Tomsic

Senior Member

Jon Danniken wrote:
What's the difference between the two?
and got the answer:

Zippo Cigarette Lighter Fluid:
http://www.co.vermilion.il.us/MSDS/E...0Fluid-USA.pdf

Kingsford Charcoal Lighter Fluid
http://callico.chemtel.net/msds/CP-71175.pdf[/quote]

Well,
I did some digging, and from what I can see, Zippo lighter fluid and Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid both consist of various types of the stuff we call "paint thinner", or "mineral spirits" (in North America), or "white spirits" (in the UK and Europe), or "Stoddard Solvent" or "petroleum spirits". All of these various names refer to petroleum distillates that are very similar in composition. They all contain hydrocarbons that are about 7 to 12 carbon atoms long.

Zippo lighter fluid's MSDS sheet states that it contains 70% by weight of a chemical with the Chemical Assay System (CAS) number 68410-97-9 and 30% of chemical with a CAS number of 64742-49-0. (The easiest way to find out what chemical is meant by a particular CAS number is to Google it.)

Kingsford Charcoal lighter fluid's MSDS sheet says it contains 100% of a chemical with a CAS number of 8052-41-3 and/or 64742-88-7.

But, if you look on this Wikipedia page describing "White Spirits", you'll find three of those 4 CAS numbers listed the

White spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The different types of White Spirits indicate whether the stuff has had the sulfur removed from it, whether it's had some of the lighter hydrocarbons removed to make it smell less or whether it's been hydrotreated to convert any double carbon=carbon bonds to single carbon-carbon bonds (and I don't know why they'd do that).

The difference in the type of mineral spirits that result affect it's smell, volatility and evaporation rate, so perhaps different types of mineral spirits may be more suitable for a cigarette lighter as opposed to getting charcoal to smolder.

But, suffice it to say that everything in both kinds of lighter fluid consists of hydrocarbon molecules of 7 to 12 carbon atoms long that are produced by distilling crude oil in a refinery. The similarities between the different chemicals in each kind of lighter fluid outweigh the differences, so if you don't have one, use the other.

I also found that WD40 will work to remove old label glue because it's about 50 percent mineral spirits. So, WD40 is just an expensive alternative to using paint thinner. But, while everything in mineral spirits will evaporate completely without leaving a residue, the other 50 percent of WD40 is a light oil which WON'T evaporate. So, while WD40 will remove the label glue, you still need to use mineral spirits to remove the oil left behind by the WD40.

(Maybe it's just better to just use mineral spirits right from the get go to save some money and save that extra step.)

I'd also try mixing cooking oil (don't matter what kind) into the label glue to create a mess, and then mixing dish washing detergent (don't matter what kind) into that mess to create a bigger mess, and washing that bigger mess off with tap water. Or, if I was a betting man, I'd bet that would work too.

Last edited by nestork : February 15th 13 at 07:24 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
On 02/14/2013 03:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid -
the kind for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.

What's the difference between the two?

Cigarette lighter fluid = naptha

Charcoal lighter fluid = kerosene

Bulk of either is cheaper. Way cheaper.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - plastic jar sticky stuff (test results)

Overnight in bucket of water had no effect.

Alcohol dry gas, no effect.

Goo-Gone, none available to try.

Olive oil, no effect.

Ronsonol lighter fluid, did tend to loosen the sticky.

Back to using WD-40 and paper napkins.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tomsic" wrote in message ...

Rubbing alcohol sometimes works on label glue. If not, then Goo Gone will
likely dissolve the stuff. Either one is safer to use than gasoline, acetone
or paint thinner. Goo Gone smells like citrus oil and is marked non toxic.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 8:33*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Overnight in bucket of water had no effect.

Alcohol dry gas, no effect.

Goo-Gone, none available to try.

Olive oil, no effect.

Ronsonol lighter fluid, did tend to loosen the sticky.

Back to using WD-40 and paper napkins.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Tomsic" wrote in ...

Rubbing alcohol sometimes works on label glue. *If not, then Goo Gone will
likely dissolve the stuff. Either one is safer to use than gasoline, acetone
or paint thinner. *Goo Gone smells like citrus oil and is marked non toxic.

Tomsic

"Overnight in bucket of water had no effect."

Of course an overnight session in a bucket of water will have no
effect.

Even if you started with hot water, which will soften the adhesive, as
soon as the water cools down, it will harden right back up again.
Perhaps if you had some agitation while the adhesive was soft, it
might have washed away, but it is going to require some mechanical
work introduced while the adhesive is soft.

" Ronsonol lighter fluid, did tend to loosen the sticky."

As expected. However, just like the WD-40 it requires some mechanical
action to remove it once "loose".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 02:13:13 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

GooGone

Peanut butter, seriously. The oil softens the label and glue. BTDT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ya2UZtDps
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 11:21*am, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 02:13:13 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:
GooGone

Peanut butter, seriously. *The oil softens the label and glue. BTDT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ya2UZtDps

PB's also great for hiding scratches in dark stained furniture. The
oil darkens the exposed wood and helps it blend in. BTDT

It's not bad with bananas either. As a matter of fact, I just finished
a PB&B sandwich about 10 minutes ago. No lie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:35:13 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Feb 15, 11:21*am, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 02:13:13 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:
GooGone

Peanut butter, seriously. *The oil softens the label and glue. BTDT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ya2UZtDps

PB's also great for hiding scratches in dark stained furniture. The
oil darkens the exposed wood and helps it blend in. BTDT

Never tried that one. Old English furniture polish is dark and covers
scratches in dark wood. I also use wax pencils or colored markers is
various colors.

It's not bad with bananas either. As a matter of fact, I just finished
a PB&B sandwich about 10 minutes ago. No lie.

On toast? My bride makes PB and (Granny) apple sandwiches (yummy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:23:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

How to remove the sticky [from labels on plastic jars]? I've been using
WD-40 and paper towels. Is there a better way?

My favorite is kerosene.

I usually soak the jar in soapy water first, and scrub off
any "plasticy" paper that might slow the absorbtion of the
kerosene, and thoroughly dry the item. Then apply the
kerosene. After the kerosene has softened and loosened all
the residue, I quickly head back to the sink and use hot
soapy water to wash away everything.

For smaller containers, I often just drop them into my jar
of kerosene, put the lid on, and slosh it around until the
label areas are thoroughly wetted. Even resistant labels
will loosen, given enough time.

The trick is to make sure to not let the kerosene evaporate
away at any point during the process.

--
croy