Posted to uk.d-i-y
ChrisK ChrisK is offline

Default Sticky Rubberised Plastic Finish - A Cure?

Brian Gaff wrote:
I imagine the solution depends on the material. Brake fluid as far as
I'm aware repels water I think so may well be sealing the surface. I
always thought this sticky issue was the break down of the material as
the plasticiser leaches out.
Brian

Not sure, seems to be a specific problem with the rubberised finishes -
not the underlying material which is probably ABS or something similar.
It may be a reaction of the finish with skin oils over time but I'm
not convinced this is the whole story. It seems to attack the entire
surface without any particular focus on the bits that are touched. I've
never seen it on plastics which are the same or similar base material
without the rubberised finish.

Chris K