Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:52:39 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 10/01/2016 17:25, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 16:58:22 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 10/01/2016 16:22, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 16:12:31 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Certainly not me. I suppose I might consider slotted brass anywhere
particularly visible on antique furniture.

Can you not get Pozidrive brass?

You can, and I might use them for somewhere visible on modern hardwood
(eg keyhole escutcheon), but they don't look right on anything antique
(IMHO).

Because they don't look old?

Exactly.

I thought decent antique stuff had all the screws hidden anyway.

--
Man who walk through turnstyle sideways going to bangkok!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/16 17:51, newshound wrote:
On 10/01/2016 17:45, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 10/01/2016 17:37, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:01:27 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 10/01/2016 16:14, ARW wrote:
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The
rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use
especially where they won't be seen.

I would standardize all screws as PZ2s.

I wouldn't, PZ3 is a good intermediary before you get to coach screws.
And PZ1 has its place on smaller stuff.

As with everything, too many inbetweens. For example, why does a car
need 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20mm bolts? Why not just
5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20?

The sme reason as why the Rolls Royce Meriln engine used a 3BA bolt in
one situation - because it was the correct engineering solution

Malcolm

And I am pretty sure most cars manage with about half a dozen. Typically
10, 13, and 15 rather than 11 and 14.

Having done a fair amount of design, frankly 'the correct engineering
solution' is a load of twaddle. 99.7% of engineering is 'good enough' -
not 'exactly right'

There is a huge pressure to reduce stock inventory as well. which is why
having a special screw that is M 5.638 or somesuch might just happen in
a space mission, but nowhere else not even a Merlin engine.
3BA wasn't that common, but it was a standard.

Most cars do NOT use a zillion different bolts either. probably no more
than half a dozen in any given car..however the next manufacturer whose
car you fix, has a completely different half dozen. His inventory is
different,

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:38:55 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:35:06 -0000, ARW wrote:

On 10/01/16 17:09, Bod wrote:
On 10/01/16 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Only for visual effect..

I would say that is subjective though.

Er no. The visual effect of a slotted screw is *objectively* different
from the visual effect of a posidrive or other cross head, torx or hex
head..

So you are saying that the slotted screw looks like a ****?

That would make a pozidrive a starfish.

Or a tattooed areola.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Er no. The visual effect of a slotted screw is *objectively* different
from the visual effect of a posidrive or other cross head, torx or hex
head..

So you are saying that the slotted screw looks like a ****?

Er no. You are saying that.

I would have Sigmund tearing his hair out :-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A number of my old woodwork teachers who were "old school" cabinet makers insisted that slotted screws in close proximity to each other or on adjacent hinges had their slots aligned.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/16 17:09, Bod wrote:
On 10/01/16 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Only for visual effect..

I would say that is subjective though.

Er no. The visual effect of a slotted screw is *objectively* different
from the visual effect of a posidrive or other cross head, torx or hex
head..

So you are saying that the slotted screw looks like a ****?

That would make a pozidrive a starfish.

Or a tattooed areola.

You just need a bit of snow to do it.

--
Mrs. Morse: "Sam, stop tapping your fingers on the table, it's driving me crazy!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 18:01:58 -0000, Tricky Dicky wrote:

A number of my old woodwork teachers who were "old school" cabinet makers insisted that slotted screws in close proximity to each other or on adjacent hinges had their slots aligned.

I thought everybody did that - I made all the screws in my wall sockets horizontal. Pozis don't matter so much.

To not do so is similar to having your furniture scattered randomly around the room instead of in line with the wall.

--
In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.
In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:01:27 -0000, newshound
wrote:
On 10/01/2016 16:14, ARW wrote:
"Bob Minchin" wrote in
message ...
Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The
rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use
especially where they won't be seen.

I would standardize all screws as PZ2s.

I wouldn't, PZ3 is a good intermediary before you get to coach
screws. And PZ1 has its place on smaller stuff.

As with everything, too many inbetweens. For example, why does a car
need 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20mm bolts? Why not
just 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20?

FFS PHucker******!
For just how long are you going to try to string this thread out by arguing
about a screw or a bolt?
We all know that you have mental health issues and that the world would be a
better place without you.
Try getting a job or a woman instead of wanking off here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 16:30, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 16:23:02 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/01/16 16:11, Bob Minchin wrote:
Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The rest
of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially
where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

I attempted to change to Torx screws but found that I needed 3 different
size bits, whereas with PZ a No2 fitted the whole range.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The
rest
of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially
where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

True - the only problem is it tends to fall out again!

It's not really that much of a problem unless a) it's a very hard
substrate; b) you need them in and out a lot. But as a "vs" thing, I
don't know quite how we got stuck with posi OR phillips, given that both
are inferior (in our world) to robertson, hex and torx. Of the last 3 I
suspect torx may be the most robust, but I have no links to prove it

I don't get pozidrive falling out. As long as the screwdriver is
perpendicular, and you're applying a downward force on it. I guess torx
are tougher, but I'd think you could put in more pozis a minute.

I don't understand Philips still existing at all. Pozidrive is
basically Phillips.1.

Almost everything that needs fixing to a wall includes Phillips screws.
They drive me mad, first thing I do is to throw them away.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The rest
of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially
where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

I attempted to change to Torx screws but found that I needed 3 different
size bits, whereas with PZ a No2 fitted the whole range.

Indeed, A PZ2 will operate a PZ1 or PZ3 if you're not too violent or the screw isn't jammed in hard.

--
There are 18.6 million vacant homes in the United States, enough for every homeless person to have 6 each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
[...]

Trouble is you have to look closely to spot they're Philips. Pick up a straight one and you'll go EUGH! without remembering to check.

--
We used to mock the Americans' litigiousness, political correctness, health & safety obsessions and the like.
Now Britain is full of lazy lard buckets who'll sue for everything they can get if they even stub their toe on something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The
rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use
especially where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

True - the only problem is it tends to fall out again!

I thought the original Phillips head was specifically designed to slip
under pressure (on the assembly line) but not Pozidriv.

But it doesn't slip, it burrs it to make it totally useless. If you want slip, make the motor driving the screwdriver bit have a limited torque, or add a clutch.

--
What's the ultimate in rejection?
Having a wank and your hand goes to sleep!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Torx screws, why bother with pozi?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 16:11, Bob Minchin wrote:
Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The rest
of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially
where they won't be seen.

Why?
Antique furniture isn't likely to use screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 18:55:39 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Torx screws, why bother with pozi?

Because the driver automatically falls into the hole as you start to turn.

--
A penny saved is a government oversight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 17:33, Mr Macaw wrote:

I don't understand Philips still existing at all. Pozidrive is
basically Phillips.1.

No they aren't.
Pozis have the drive face parallel to the screw axis, philips are angled.

Therefor philips cam out easily.

A feature used by drywall screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Certainly not me. I suppose I might consider slotted brass anywhere
particularly visible on antique furniture.

Can you not get Pozidrive brass?

You can, and I might use them for somewhere visible on modern hardwood
(eg keyhole escutcheon), but they don't look right on anything antique
(IMHO).

Because they don't look old?

Exactly.

I thought decent antique stuff had all the screws hidden anyway.

Decent antiques don't have screws.
They weren't around much 200 years ago.

Reproductions have screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Torx screws, why bother with pozi?

Because the driver automatically falls into the hole as you start to turn.

Only if you line it up so its already in the screw, otherwise its just
as likely to wander of the crew and being pointed mark the job.

Torx bits also drop in automatically and being blunt are less likely to
mark the job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:02:50 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 10/01/2016 17:33, Mr Macaw wrote:

I don't understand Philips still existing at all. Pozidrive is
basically Phillips.1.

No they aren't.
Pozis have the drive face parallel to the screw axis, philips are angled.

Therefor philips cam out easily.

A feature used by drywall screws.

A drawback. Do you know what .1 means?

--
Why is the front of an aeroplane called a cockpit?
If you have female pilots do you call it a pussypit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old
fashioned slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock.
The rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to
use especially where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

True - the only problem is it tends to fall out again!

I thought the original Phillips head was specifically designed to
slip under pressure (on the assembly line) but not Pozidriv.

But it doesn't slip, it burrs it to make it totally useless. If you
want slip, make the motor driving the screwdriver bit have a limited
torque, or add a clutch.

Are you sure you are using Phillips screw heads with a Phillips driver
because it's designed to cam out cleanly without damage.

I suspect using a clutch on every powered screw driver on a 1930s
production line was too expensive - even for making Cadillacs.

http://www.phillips-screw.com/wizard.php?v=2

But in 2015 we shouldn't be using Philips screws.

Anyway, how difficult is it to change the power of the motor? For example when I use my cordless drill to put in screws, I lower the power to the motor by pressing less hard on the trigger. When it gets all the way in, the motor stalls.

--
Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Torx screws, why bother with pozi?

Because the driver automatically falls into the hole as you start to turn.

Only if you line it up so its already in the screw, otherwise its just
as likely to wander of the crew and being pointed mark the job.

They can be up to half a screw width out and still drop in.

Torx bits also drop in automatically and being blunt are less likely to
mark the job.

Not tried one, but looking at them they don't have a slope to pull the driver in.

--
Definition of Necrophilia: That Uncontrollable Urge To Crack Open A Cold One.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The rest
of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially
where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

I attempted to change to Torx screws but found that I needed 3 different
size bits, whereas with PZ a No2 fitted the whole range.

There is that - as well as T20 torx bits cost £1.20 each, unlike PZ2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
[...]

Along with the half arsed plugs they came with - then I choose from my
selection of "best for whatever wall" fixings
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
[...]

Maybe - but PZ are bitches for chewing up too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Certainly not me. I suppose I might consider slotted brass anywhere
particularly visible on antique furniture.

Can you not get Pozidrive brass?

You can, and I might use them for somewhere visible on modern hardwood
(eg keyhole escutcheon), but they don't look right on anything antique
(IMHO).

Because they don't look old?

Exactly.

I thought decent antique stuff had all the screws hidden anyway.

Decent antiques don't have screws.
They weren't around much 200 years ago.

Reproductions have screws.

********. I have some stuff my grandad bought in about 1940 and it has
screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The rest
of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use especially
where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

I attempted to change to Torx screws but found that I needed 3 different
size bits, whereas with PZ a No2 fitted the whole range.

There is that - as well as T20 torx bits cost £1.20 each, unlike PZ2

25.5p actually, similar to PZ2.

--
A woman sends her clothing out to the Chinese laundry. When it comes back there are still stains in her panties. The next week she encloses a note to the Chinaman that says, "Use more soap on panties."
This goes on for several weeks, the woman sending the same note to the laundry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
[...]

My bog roll holder stayed up for 3 weeks on the supplied wall plugs. The replacement ones (which were just bog standard bulk plugs from Ebay) have lasted 3 months so far.

--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
[...]

You'd think in the 21st century they could make stronger metal.

--
If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 10/01/16 18:01, Tricky Dicky wrote:
A number of my old woodwork teachers who were "old school" cabinet makers insisted that slotted screws in close proximity to each other or on adjacent hinges had their slots aligned.

Mine did too, and I still do align them like that

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 10/01/16 17:51, newshound wrote:

And I am pretty sure most cars manage with about half a dozen. Typically
10, 13, and 15 rather than 11 and 14.

google 'rigger jigger' 10mm and 13mm standard in the rowing world.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
[...]

+1

Rawlplug UNO rule!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The
rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use
especially where they won't be seen.

I would standardize all screws as PZ2s.

I wouldn't, PZ3 is a good intermediary before you get to coach screws.
And PZ1 has its place on smaller stuff.

As with everything, too many inbetweens. For example, why does a car
need 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20mm bolts? Why not just
5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20?

Bad design. Nasty flat pack furniture from Argos will often have 5 or 6
different sizes of screws. Good design like IKEA rarely has more than 2.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 18:55, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

Torx screws, why bother with pozi?

Because No2 PZ will cover 3mm x 12mm to 5mm x 100 screws with one bit,
Torx needs 3 different bits.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:51:35 +0000, newshound wrote:

And I am pretty sure most cars manage with about half a dozen. Typically
10, 13, and 15 rather than 11 and 14.

Good ol' Citroen. 11 and 14 everywhere, rather than 10, 13, 15. Still, at
least they used nice standard 8mm M5s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 18:34:02 +0000, David Lang wrote:

Almost everything that needs fixing to a wall includes Phillips screws.
They drive me mad, first thing I do is to throw them away.

Sod what head they have. The screws provided with stuff are ALWAYS made
of cheese.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:37:06 +0000, polygonum wrote:

And if your driver isn't aligned, you only have to turn it a maximum of
60 degrees (as against 90 for pozi/Philips, and 180 for slotted screws).

30deg, rather than 45/90... You can turn it the other way...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:58:37 +0000, DJC wrote:

And I am pretty sure most cars manage with about half a dozen.
Typically 10, 13, and 15 rather than 11 and 14.

google 'rigger jigger' 10mm and 13mm standard in the rowing world.

10mm and 13mm are the "preferred" head sizes for "preferred" ISO thread
sizes, so they're what _SHOULD_ be used by anybody.

M5 = 8mm
M6 = 10mm
M8 = 13mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:09:42 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 18:34:02 +0000, David Lang wrote:

Almost everything that needs fixing to a wall includes Phillips screws.
They drive me mad, first thing I do is to throw them away.

Sod what head they have. The screws provided with stuff are ALWAYS made
of cheese.

And it's that mild Tesco Value cheddar, not decent stuff either.

--
Love conquers all, except in tennis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2016 16:01, Bod wrote:

Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?

No, loathe the things! About the only time I used them is for show work
where you need to match brass hinges etc on cabinets.

--
Cheers,

John.