Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:49:04 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/01/16 18:43, pamela wrote:
On 17:15 10 Jan 2016, Tim Watts wrote:

On 10/01/16 16:30, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 16:23:02 -0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 10/01/16 16:11, Bob Minchin wrote:
Bod wrote:
Are there any luddites in here still preferring the old fashioned
slotted screws?
Furniture restorers love em and will usually buy up old stock. The
rest of us realise the poziheads are generally superior to use
especially where they won't be seen.

Personally, I prefer torx

I was thinking that, but pozidrive has the advantage that the
screwdriver bit falls into place itself as you start turning.

True - the only problem is it tends to fall out again!

I thought the original Phillips head was specifically designed to slip
under pressure (on the assembly line) but not Pozidriv.

It's not really that much of a problem unless a) it's a very hard
substrate; b) you need them in and out a lot. But as a "vs" thing, I
don't know quite how we got stuck with posi OR phillips, given that
both are inferior (in our world) to robertson, hex and torx. Of the
last 3 I suspect torx may be the most robust, but I have no links to
prove it

Maybe - but PZ are bitches for chewing up too.

You'd think in the 21st century they could make stronger metal.

--
If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.