Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting Door handle fixing bolts

OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what
I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the
door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again
and repeat process.
--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 17:56, AnthonyL wrote:
OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what
I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the
door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again
and repeat process.

What sort of door/handle?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normally the trick is to firstly make sure the holes end up in the right
place, then screw the screws a bit the wrong way till you feel them slip
past the start of the thread on the other half then go the right way, and
normally this stops the cross threading. Do not do one up a lot before you
get the second one in the same way. It is a tactile thing though, and if the
holes are just a little bet out or too small, its a real pain.

I've done loads of these on doors and the only issue was actually making
sure the things lined up.

I'm surprised nobody has made handles with those little rotating cams on
them that they use on chipboard hinges by now!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"David Lang" wrote in message
On 01/01/2016 17:56, AnthonyL wrote:
OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what
I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the
door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again
and repeat process.

What sort of door/handle?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 18:18:52 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 17:56:24 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter
what I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in
the door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth
again and repeat process.

Some photos of your actual door furniture would be useful.

These things:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-M4-Sc...-/221973919370

Holds the two plates either side of the door together.

The hole going through isn't straight, meaning that the two pieces are
meeting at an awkward angle and cross threading.

Open the hole up so that there's a bit of clearence.
You may need new bolts now if they're damaged

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL scribbled

wrote:

OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what
I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the
door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again
and repeat process.

Some photos of your actual door furniture would be useful.

These things:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-M4-Sc...-/221973919370

Holds the two plates either side of the door together.

If you put some hair around the female part, you'll get it in first
time, every time.

The old ones are the best.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL scribbled

wrote:

OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what
I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the
door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again
and repeat process.

Some photos of your actual door furniture would be useful.

These things:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-M4-Sc...-/221973919370

Holds the two plates either side of the door together.

If you put some hair around the female part, you'll get it in first
time, every time.

Any particular brand of hair? From Screwfix?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 00:14:41 -0000, Jonno wrote:

If you put some hair around the female part, you'll get it in first
time, every time.

Any particular brand of hair? From Screwfix?

Reminds me of the definition of indefinitely. When the pubic hairs
mingle, you're in, definitely.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/16 00:14, Jonno wrote:
If you put some hair around the female part, you'll get it in first
time, every time.

Doesn't nature do that anyway?

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/16 11:09, Jonno wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled

On 02/01/16 00:14, Jonno wrote:
If you put some hair around the female part, you'll get it in first
time, every time.

Doesn't nature do that anyway?

You don't know? Time to return to your original nym of "the village
****wit".

Bless!

kind word alone.
Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 January 2016 17:56:25 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
OK so what's the trick?

Getting the hole through the door at exactly 90 degrees to the door face in all directions. Or drill the hole oversize.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2016 17:56, AnthonyL wrote:
OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what
I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the
door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so
twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again
and repeat process.

Most of ours are fine, but if the holes are not clean and square to the
surface, or the screw/sleeve combo isn't the right length, they can be
awkward. I find it best to push the sleeve in as far as it will go, then
gently feed the screw in - slowly turning as it gets near rhe end of the
sleeve.

--
Rod