Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default British Gas Smart Gas and Elec Meters

Do wonder about the technology used.

Mate wanted one. Lives in Tooting in a terraced house similar to loads in
the area. Gas meter in cupboard under the stairs.

Couldn't be fitted - no mobile phone reception for the service it uses.

If it can't be made to work in a pretty standard location in a pretty
standard house in London, I'd guess it will have even more problems
elsewhere.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
Do wonder about the technology used.

Mate wanted one. Lives in Tooting in a terraced house similar to loads in
the area. Gas meter in cupboard under the stairs.

Couldn't be fitted - no mobile phone reception for the service it uses.

If it can't be made to work in a pretty standard location in a pretty
standard house in London, I'd guess it will have even more problems
elsewhere.

They tried one out at a radio comms site we have all phone networks are
nearby but they still couldn't get a signal seems there using O2 ?.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Do wonder about the technology used.

Mate wanted one. Lives in Tooting in a terraced house similar to loads in
the area. Gas meter in cupboard under the stairs.

Couldn't be fitted - no mobile phone reception for the service it uses.

If it can't be made to work in a pretty standard location in a pretty
standard house in London, I'd guess it will have even more problems
elsewhere.

On the first visit here the guy couldn't get the gas meter to connect,
full signal strength but some sort of "server" problem.
Different guy turned up about two weeks later and got it to connect
first time.

This was back in April...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do wonder about the technology used.

Mate wanted one. Lives in Tooting in a terraced house similar to loads in
the area. Gas meter in cupboard under the stairs.

Couldn't be fitted - no mobile phone reception for the service it uses.

If it can't be made to work in a pretty standard location in a pretty
standard house in London, I'd guess it will have even more problems
elsewhere.

When I saw one being fitted, albeit an electricity meter, he had a
network analyser so chose the operator with the best signal and fitted a
SIM for that network. He then drove off leaving it first on the roof of
his van and finally in the road! Fortunately I retreived it and was
able to give it back to him when he returned an hour later, he seemed
very pleased to get it back!!

What I do find slightly irritating is that it will take another visit
when (if) British Gas decide to fit a smart meter on the gas supply, but
never mind the government is paying for all this :-)

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:
but never mind the government is paying for all this :-)

panto_season
Oh no it isn't! The cost of rolling out smart meters is met by the
consumers through their gas and electricity bills.
/panto_season
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

The "government money" was yours once. It all comes from the tax payer.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

In suspect the OP's comment was designed to mean:

"it doesn't matter if we waste money doing this - someone else is paying"

"The government" was just a proxy for this someone else

tim

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2015 09:26, tim..... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
[...]

Having been a tax payer since I was 15, some 53 years ago, I am well
aware that the government doesn't have any money of it's own, but is
very good at spending everyone else's!! Hence the smiley.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed, One might have thought that the aerial would be on the end of a
cable which could be put in a bettter place for reception. After all,
several houses I know of have the metering underground in the basement.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Do wonder about the technology used.

Mate wanted one. Lives in Tooting in a terraced house similar to loads in
the area. Gas meter in cupboard under the stairs.

Couldn't be fitted - no mobile phone reception for the service it uses.

If it can't be made to work in a pretty standard location in a pretty
standard house in London, I'd guess it will have even more problems
elsewhere.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

One might have thought that the aerial would be on the end of a
cable which could be put in a bettter place for reception.

I don't suppose the suppliers would regard that as sufficiently
tamper-proof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
Yes indeed, One might have thought that the aerial would be on the end
of a cable which could be put in a bettter place for reception. After
all, several houses I know of have the metering underground in the
basement.

Quite. Mine's in the cellar. But I've no doubt BG etc will be pushing for
legislation to have them all moved outside.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

One might have thought that the aerial would be on the end
of a cable which could be put in a bettter place for reception. After
all, several houses I know of have the metering underground in the
basement.

I've no doubt BG etc will be pushing for
legislation to have them all moved outside.

Or demanding they be allowed to use your wifi

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:49:23 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

One might have thought that the aerial would be on the end of a

cable
which could be put in a bettter place for reception.

Then you have to have the monkeys trained in where "a better place
for reception" is. To get from our meters to such a place could be
interesting and at a guess at least 30'. Our meters are in a
windowless room with building between it an the local cell on two
sides and thick solid stone walls on the other two. Mobile signal
indoors? Don't make I laugh.

I've no doubt BG etc will be pushing for legislation to have them

all
moved outside.

Regulation if not legislation has had meters outside and on the
"front" of a property for quite a while. You can possibly get away
with "side" provided there is no restriction of access

Or demanding they be allowed to use your wifi

If they want to use any of my facilities they can pay for it, tenner
a month will do, paid annually, in advance, non refundable. This fee
would only be for permission to access my network. There would be no
guarantees of availabilty of access and/or an internet connection
and/or continued access/internet connection.

--
Cheers
Dave.

British Gas Smart Gas and Elec Meters Davidm UK diy 13 December 17th 15 07:38 AM
Smart meters newshound UK diy 265 March 17th 15 09:43 PM
Smart Meters Andrew Gabriel UK diy 10 February 13th 15 02:23 PM
Smart Meters Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 133 May 2nd 13 10:18 PM
Smart meters jgharston UK diy 0 January 29th 10 04:10 PM