Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default British Gas Smart Gas and Elec Meters

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Andrews wrote:
Do wonder about the technology used.

Mate wanted one. Lives in Tooting in a terraced house similar to loads
in
the area. Gas meter in cupboard under the stairs.

Couldn't be fitted - no mobile phone reception for the service it uses.

If it can't be made to work in a pretty standard location in a pretty
standard house in London, I'd guess it will have even more problems
elsewhere.

When I saw one being fitted, albeit an electricity meter, he had a
network analyser so chose the operator with the best signal and fitted a
SIM for that network. He then drove off leaving it first on the roof of
his van and finally in the road! Fortunately I retreived it and was
able to give it back to him when he returned an hour later, he seemed
very pleased to get it back!!

What I do find slightly irritating is that it will take another visit
when (if) British Gas decide to fit a smart meter on the gas supply, but
never mind the government is paying for all this :-)

The "government money" was yours once. It all comes from the tax payer.

In suspect the OP's comment was designed to mean:

"it doesn't matter if we waste money doing this - someone else is paying"

"The government" was just a proxy for this someone else

tim

--
Please note new email address: