Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No power rating for electric oven/grills?

Maybe a bit OT, but it may be of interest.

We have just replaced and old (10 to 15 years? it was here when we moved
in) and faulty "Cookers" fitted double oven with a new AEG one. The new
one's fan oven appears to warm up more slowly than the old one, and
grilling in the top oven takes considerably longer. From memory the
"Cookers" grill glowed more brightly than the new AEG.

So I thought I'd check the power rating of both to compare them. We
still have the old Cookers manual, and it lists the rating of the top
and bottom grill and other elements. But the new one? No - nothing in
the manual or brochure. In fact, out of interest I tried to find the
ratings of other makes such as Neff, Bosch, Stoves, Zanussi, etc. I only
found one mention for a Beko oven. The only figure that seems to be
given these days is the oven energy consumption in kW/hour - probably
for the EC efficiency rating. Sometimes the total load rating is given
(usually around 4 - 6kW), but that's all. When did the individual
figures for grill rating, etc stop being used?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2015 09:46, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

We had the same problem, the grill we had was very fast to heat up, and
grilled in seconds. This one is a slow as the PM making his mind up
about the vote on the Europe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 09:46:31 +0000
Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Probably getting ahead of the EU after their effort on Vacuum Cleaner
power.
"We know what's better for you, even though we have no idea what we're
taking about."

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
Probably getting ahead of the EU after their effort on Vacuum Cleaner
power.
"We know what's better for you, even though we have no idea what we're
taking about."

More likely everything has been reduced so it can run off a 13 amps supply.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There *must* be surely? No mention of current, VA either?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom writes:

There *must* be surely? No mention of current, VA either?

The appliance has to have a rating plate giving the operating voltage
and max power or current consumption. That doesn't mean you can
necessarily find the info on the web though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 December 2015 13:53:06 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Cursitor Doom writes:

There *must* be surely? No mention of current, VA either?

The appliance has to have a rating plate giving the operating voltage
and max power or current consumption. That doesn't mean you can
necessarily find the info on the web though.

but that doesn't need to include a breakdown AFAIK. And these days it might not be durable.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/15 13:26, Cursitor Doom wrote:

There *must* be surely? No mention of current, VA either?

Not that I can find on the internet. As I mentioned, you can find
/total/ power, but not the individual elements. Have a look yourself at
the manufacturers webpages, and see if you can find the info. I have no
idea if the grills are rated at 1W or 1kW, so until we've burnt or
undercooked things and gained experience, it's all a bit of a guessing game.

It's daft, really. If I want to buy a hob, the individual outputs of the
burners are always given. Same thing with those worksurface
grills/sandwich toasters; the power rating is always there. So why not
fitted ovens/grills?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 19:15:43 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 13/12/15 13:26, Cursitor Doom wrote:

There *must* be surely? No mention of current, VA either?

Not that I can find on the internet. As I mentioned, you can find
/total/ power, but not the individual elements. Have a look yourself at
the manufacturers webpages, and see if you can find the info. I have no
idea if the grills are rated at 1W or 1kW, so until we've burnt or
undercooked things and gained experience, it's all a bit of a guessing
game.

It's daft, really. If I want to buy a hob, the individual outputs of the
burners are always given. Same thing with those worksurface
grills/sandwich toasters; the power rating is always there. So why not
fitted ovens/grills?

Never come across that before. The obvious thing to do, I suppose is just
measure it. Most decent multimeters these days have ranges for RMS volts
and RMS amps. If you take these two readings and multiply them together
it will give you the VA, which in an oven should be pretty close to
Watts. In any event, it will at least allow you to accurately choose a
value for your isolation switch and circuit breaker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:52:04 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

[...]

Or else just utter the magic word. Diversity.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2015 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 13/12/15 13:26, Cursitor Doom wrote:

There *must* be surely? No mention of current, VA either?

Not that I can find on the internet. As I mentioned, you can find
/total/ power, but not the individual elements. Have a look yourself at
the manufacturers webpages, and see if you can find the info. I have no
idea if the grills are rated at 1W or 1kW, so until we've burnt or
undercooked things and gained experience, it's all a bit of a guessing
game.

It's daft, really. If I want to buy a hob, the individual outputs of the
burners are always given. Same thing with those worksurface
grills/sandwich toasters; the power rating is always there. So why not
fitted ovens/grills?

Can you try an alternative approach - I don't know your exact model but
the spares page seems to list the wattages of a large number of elements.

http://shop.aeg.co.uk/category/Cooki...ing%20Elements

--
Chris B News

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/15 08:30, Chris B wrote:
[...]

Excellent idea. Says the grill element is 2300W. FWIW, the Cookers grill
was supposedly only 1750W. Maybe I'll ask AEG why they don't give the
grill element rating with the oven info, but are happy to give it in the
spares pages!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 14/12/15 08:30, Chris B wrote:
[...]

Likely they dont realise how useful it is for some who are considering what
oven to buy.