Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap alternative to Duracell AA batteries

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
what do you mean by the better zinc batterys ?

Ones that don't leak.

which ones, I don't know of any which are leak-proof.

The very first batteries sold as leak proof were Ray-O-Vac. Zinc carbon.

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 16:34:30 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
what do you mean by the better zinc batterys ?

Ones that don't leak.

which ones, I don't know of any which are leak-proof.

The very first batteries sold as leak proof were Ray-O-Vac. Zinc carbon.

means little to me unless they don't leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:45:38 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

Thanks again Tim W for recs' on the Eneloops. Early days but there seems to
be plenty of 'oomph' for the hi-drain toothbrushes.

The speed of the brush isn't quite as high as the rechargeable brush is when
it's just recharged but is higher than the last 2 days or so of the
recharge.
The first clue to the cells getting low is that the brush labours a bit - or
can be stalled easily - when overloaded. I recharge the replacements towards
the end of the run so that they're fresh. They should do at least 4 - 5
weeks, perhaps more if you do the recommended 2 minutes (I do a bit longer
as my teeth can't be covered in one pass - long in the tooth, I suppose).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Martin Brown wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

But with something like a clock I'd assume you'd
replace the battery when it stops working.

That's the general idea.

So not much chance of a leak, which is far more likely
in something left unused for a very long time.

Like a clock exactly.

I don't tend to keep that sort of clock that doesn't work. ;-)

Low power LCD clocks tend to be exactly the sort of thing where the
battery life is longer than it would be if left on the shelf. The snag
is that the battery will be run into the ground before the display
fades out and they do sometimes leak before the juice runs out.

Not if you use the better zinc batterys.

what do you mean by the better zinc batterys ?

Ones that don't leak.

which ones, I don't know of any which are leak-proof.

Some do in fact have a no leak guarantee.

Where possible I use NiMH but some low current
devices won't work on the lower voltage.

Those aren't suitable for clocks because of
the much higher self discharge those have.

That's of little concern to most.

It is with clocks.

no it's not.

Corse it is when the self discharge sees them go
flat long before a much cheaper zinc battery does.

It makes much more sense to use zinc cells
that don't leak in clocks.

if you can find them

Corse you can.

where ?

ebay, aliexpress, amazon etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message

The speed of the brush isn't quite as high as the rechargeable brush is
when
it's just recharged but is higher than the last 2 days or so of the
recharge.
The first clue to the cells getting low is that the brush labours a bit -
or
can be stalled easily - when overloaded. I recharge the replacements
towards
the end of the run so that they're fresh. They should do at least 4 - 5
weeks, perhaps more if you do the recommended 2 minutes (I do a bit longer
as my teeth can't be covered in one pass - long in the tooth, I suppose).

Yep the old 7Day R/C began to labour within 3 days of death. I'd be very
happy if the Eneloops last 5 weeks.

I have a sneaky feeling that the EU will kill off disposables, some day
soon. At Aldi, they fill 2 drums of dead cells, twice a week.

Not sure what happens to 'em ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 05:43:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

I have a sneaky feeling that the EU will kill off disposables, some day
soon.

Bet they don't.

they're too much profit & tax

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bertie Doe wrote

I have a sneaky feeling that the EU will kill off disposables, some day
soon.

Bet they don't.

they're too much profit & tax

And they know what the public reaction would
be and that whoever was stupid enough to try
that would be flushed where he belongs by the
european parliament.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble writes:

Somewhere there's a survey of AA batteries. Ikea came top IIRC. Maybe
their rechargeables are good too

I used them many years ago, but gave up after lots of leaks, often
from unused ones.

Then used GP Ultras from CPC, but they stopped doing the bulk packs
of the Ultras and switched to the lower grade GP Supers for the same
price.

Tried a few others, and found Costco's own brand (Kirkland) to be best
price/performance. Been using them for several years now, no leaks.
I recently saw a price performance review, and they were right up near
(or at, can't recall) the top.

--
Andrew Gabriel