Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flexible screwdriver recommendations

Hi All.
I recently took on a task that required driving screws into wood, but with limited access. I had about 2 or 3 inches of room above the screw heads within which a tool could be applied perpendicular to the wood surface. I would normally use my socket set, with a screw driving bit, but the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter that I need for this purpose is temporarily lost. In these situations, without the right tool, the choice ends up being a) drive screw into wood at a wonky angle, but with screwdriver properly in line or b) drive screw into wood perpendicular to surface, but apply screwdriver to screw at a wonky angle. I went for option b, and managed to avoid mangling the screw head too badly. However, this situation occurs often enough for me to seek a proper solution ( even when I can find the required adapter, the socket set method is slow).

There seem to be quite a few flexible screwdrivers on the market and on the face of it, these seem to be just what I'm after. I can imagine, though, that many of these products would not stand up to high torque. Might anyone be able to recommend one that holds itself together when driving a really tight screw?

Other thoughts include right angle drill-drivers and adapters for standard drills: any good?

Cheers. Terry.