Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default screwdriver recommendations

Hi,

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone
recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

I see that there is this set by Wera
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75509/...Slip-Stop-6Pcs

that claims to reduce cam-out by having grooves in the tips. It seems
screwfix also sell wera bits for electric screwdrivers: some with
grooves and some with diamond particles in to help them grip.

Do any of these work or are they just gimmicks?

Are the handles comfortable to hold, they look a bit odd in the photo.

They also sell two sets with "shaped" shanks. This one is squa
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11087/...et-Go-Thru-6Pc

and this one is hexagonal:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68227/...iver-Set-10-Pc

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has
anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?
It sounds like a good idea in theory but I wonder if it really works
in practice or whether this is just another marketing claim?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2010 20:31, Fred wrote:
Hi,

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone
recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

My favourite hand screwdriver is the Stanley one that has a reversible
shank with two reversible bits. Giving two flat blade screwdrivers and
two cross point screwdrivers. The sizes cover most of the things I want
them for and they have endured lots of work without the tips wearing at
all, unlike cheap brands which use an alloy of steel and cheese. The
handle is rubber and triangle section so is great to grip and apply
force if necessary. Also with the bits being integral rather than
separate there is no risk of losing them. Very quick to change bit too.
A smashing little screwdriver.

I don't the Stanley model up from this one that has a rotating sleeve
containing several more bits... the sleeve is difficult to rotate being
very stiff.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone
recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

and this one is hexagonal:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68227/...Screwdriver-Se
ts/General-Purpose-Sets/Forge-Steel-Hex-Screwdriver-Set-10-Pc

I bought this set maybe 2 years ago and can recommend them. I did break
the PZ1 driver, my fault as I was using it in a PZ2 screw that was
really tight.
Other than that, they are really good - so much so that I have since
bought 5 or so more of the PZ2 drivers when they were on sale.

Another one to look out for is the Halfords 'Pro-driver' set that is
given away free with cans of oil. Retails at £20ish iirc, but free with
5 litres of oil. Good drivers.

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has anyone
ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw? It sounds
like a good idea in theory but I wonder if it really works in practice or
whether this is just another marketing claim?

No such claim about the above drivers. If you need a spanner to turn the
screw head, then it may slip, far better to get a drill driver to do it,
they will give far more torque than is possible with a screwdriver and
spanner turning it.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 19:31, Fred wrote:

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone
recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

Wera or Wiha, depending on if you're in Screwfix, Toolstation, or
Axminster. Both are good, personally I prefer Wiha handles in the
larger sizes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I see that there is this set by Werahttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/75509/Ironmongery/Tools/Hand-Tools/Scre...

They also sell two sets with "shaped" shanks. This one is squahttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/11087/...vers/Screwdriv...

and this one is hexagonal:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68227/...vers/Screwdriv...

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has
anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?
It sounds like a *good idea in theory but I wonder if it really works
in practice or whether this is just another marketing claim?

TIA

Have the very similar Wera VDE drivers, and tiptop quality - can't
fault it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred
wibbled on Saturday 10 April 2010 19:31

Hi,

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone
recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

I see that there is this set by Wera
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75509/...ry/Tools/Hand-

Tools/Screwdrivers/Wera-Screwdriver-Set-Slip-Stop-6Pcs

that claims to reduce cam-out by having grooves in the tips. It seems
screwfix also sell wera bits for electric screwdrivers: some with
grooves and some with diamond particles in to help them grip.

Do any of these work or are they just gimmicks?

Are the handles comfortable to hold, they look a bit odd in the photo.

They also sell two sets with "shaped" shanks. This one is squa
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11087/...s/Screwdriver-

Sets/General-Purpose-Sets/Screwdriver-Set-Go-Thru-6Pc

and this one is hexagonal:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68227/...s/Screwdriver-

Sets/General-Purpose-Sets/Forge-Steel-Hex-Screwdriver-Set-10-Pc

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has
anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?
It sounds like a good idea in theory but I wonder if it really works
in practice or whether this is just another marketing claim?

The Wera's have the best handles IMO - good grip. The bit end is pretty
good, though driving a lot of pozi's (why do we still use this crap?)
mentally tight will eventually wear them out.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone
recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

Bought this set 4 years ago & have been abusing them on a daily basis since.
Can't fault them.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Slotted-and-...et/invt/167314

Blades go right through the handle on the ones I have, so you can beat lumps
out of them. Comfy rubber handles which give good grip even with wet hands,
different colours for slotted & pozi.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking A.Lee wrote :
No such claim about the above drivers. If you need a spanner to turn the
screw head, then it may slip, far better to get a drill driver to do it,
they will give far more torque than is possible with a screwdriver and
spanner turning it.

Or even better an impact driver.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has
anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?

Many times... Many, many times...

Or rather, used a mole wrench on a screwdriver shank. The shanks are
often too small, or some daft non-standard size, and you don't get much
leverage on a 0 B.A. open-ended spanner.

But best of all, a screwdriver bit in a carpenter's brace.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I see that there is this set by Werahttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/75509/Ironmongery/Tools/Hand-Tools/Scre...

that claims to reduce cam-out by having grooves in the tips.

Excellent screwdrivers. The grooves really do work, and they have a
very comfortable handle. They are a quid cheaper at Toolstation
(including free delivery). Stanley screwdrivers are good too, but the
Wera ones are my favourites.

Has anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?

I've not done that, but my socket set has a socket which is
specifically for powered screw bits which I use instead when I want a
bit more leverage. The problem then is keeping the bit in the screw,
and not damaging the screw. The socket set also has universal joints
and various other attachments which makes putting screws into awkward
places easier.

dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 08:30:49 +0100, Kevin Poole wrote:

Fred wrote:

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has
anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?

Many times... Many, many times...

Ditto (handy also for tightening fixtures wih limited access)

To be honest I just use a handle with interchangeable bits; it costs me
about 2 quid (equivalent of) for a box of ten (identical) bits at the
local hardware place, so I just keep a few of different types around (and
they'll take a 1/4" spanner and go nicely in the hand-held drill).

The only time I use anything else is for situations where the slightly
wider shaft on the usual handle won't fit.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Fred wrote:

They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has
anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw?

Many times... Many, many times...

Ditto (handy also for tightening fixtures wih limited access)

To be honest I just use a handle with interchangeable bits; it costs me
about 2 quid (equivalent of) for a box of ten (identical) bits at the
local hardware place, so I just keep a few of different types around (and
they'll take a 1/4" spanner and go nicely in the hand-held drill).

The only time I use anything else is for situations where the slightly
wider shaft on the usual handle won't fit.

cheers

Jules

Crap for getting lids off paint tins.

But I'd wholeheartedly agree in most circumstances.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:04:22 +0100, Rod wrote:
Crap for getting lids off paint tins.

I've got a pile of little metal opener widgets that my paint supplier
seem to insist on giving me whenever I buy paint from them :-) (can I
find them whenever I actually need one? Of course not, but the concept's
sound... ;-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:00:22 -0700 (PDT), dent
wrote:

[about wera]

Excellent screwdrivers. The grooves really do work, and they have a
very comfortable handle.

Lots of recommendations for Wera, so I'll look to buy both their
hand-held screwdrivers and the bits for use in my drill/driver.

Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:00:22 -0700 (PDT), dent
wrote:

[about wera]

Excellent screwdrivers. The grooves really do work, and they have a
very comfortable handle.

Lots of recommendations for Wera, so I'll look to buy both their
hand-held screwdrivers and the bits for use in my drill/driver.

Thanks again.

I use the SF pozi 1 & 2 bits in packs of 10. I usually lose them long
before I've worn them out.