Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default OT - A sad day ...

George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2015 15:10, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

A pint down The Winchester is in order I think
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:56:49 -0700, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

George Cole actually served in the RAF during WW II.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

Are you always two days behind in the news?

--
Adam

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2015 19:10, stuart noble wrote:
On 06/08/2015 15:10, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

A pint down The Winchester is in order I think

No, a large scotch! Pints were for the workers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
MJC MJC is offline

In article ,
says...

A pint down The Winchester is in order I think

I think the Winchester closed when the actor playing the much put-upon
proprietor died years ago.

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
On 06/08/2015 15:10, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

A pint down The Winchester is in order I think

Wouldn't a vodka and tonic be more in keeping ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 19:23:03 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Are you always two days behind in the news?

This is Usenet.

What do you expect, Instant Messaging (tm) ?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

Always Harry, isn't it ? Just keep your dumb-arsed thoughts to yourself for
once ... :-(

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:56:49 -0700, harry wrote:

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

George Cole actually served in the RAF during WW II.

But didnt do anything much there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 06/08/2015 19:10, stuart noble wrote:
On 06/08/2015 15:10, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

A pint down The Winchester is in order I think

No, a large scotch! Pints were for the workers.

It was a VAT, wasn't it ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 7/08/2015 12:10 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

**I think I'll watch a few St Trinians movies this weekend.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 06/08/2015 19:10, stuart noble wrote:
On 06/08/2015 15:10, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

A pint down The Winchester is in order I think

No, a large scotch! Pints were for the workers.

Obviously no Minder fans here. It was a large VAT.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 7/08/2015 12:10 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

**I think I'll watch a few St Trinians movies this weekend.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

One of the cable channels up here is sure to be showing back to back Minder
episodes in tribute over the weekend ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 7/08/2015 12:10 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

**I think I'll watch a few St Trinians movies this weekend.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

One of the cable channels up here is sure to be showing back to back Minder episodes in
tribute over the weekend ... :-)

Arfa

A Life of Bliss

34 episodes available as Mp3's

https://archive.org/details/ALifeOfBlissBbc

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 22:10:50 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

Always Harry, isn't it ? Just keep your dumb-arsed thoughts to yourself for
once ... :-(

Arfa

Celebrities are not heroes ****-fer-brains.
Heroes put their lives at risk to defend others.
Only the brain dead would use the term "football hero".
Only the brain dead would think any actor was a "hero".
Even the words they speak are not their own for they are brain dead too bye and large.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2015 07:22, harry wrote:

Celebrities are not heroes ****-fer-brains.
Heroes put their lives at risk to defend others.
Only the brain dead would use the term "football hero".
Only the brain dead would think any actor was a "hero".

Good god! harry can speak sense.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 7/08/2015 6:21 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 01:32:39 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 7/08/2015 12:10 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

**I think I'll watch a few St Trinians movies this weekend.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

One of the cable channels up here is sure to be showing back to back
Minder episodes in tribute over the weekend ... :-)

Arfa

Although, SWMBO and I caught one a couple of years ago. Despite both
being massive (childhood) fans, we had to admit, it hadn't aged well

Best left as a memory.

**I rather liked the one where Arfur purchased some hearses. Said the
funeral director, about the cars: "....silent as an angel's fart."

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 7/08/2015 8:34 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

**A Scottish accent, I recall?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 7/08/2015 8:42 PM, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 20:35:03 +1000, Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

I recall Welsh, and the joke being his name was Mr. De'ath

**YES! LOL.

Funny how some things can last for 30 years, beyond my recall of LaPlace
transforms and Fourier analysis.

**So true.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

A disturbance in the force...

mz

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

A hero is someone to aspire to. They need not risk their lives to be a hero.

I would call Stephen Hawking a hero and he has never shot a Muslim.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Don't call me **** fer brains you arrogant opinionated arsehole. And as
ever, you are wrong, as one of the official dictionary definitions of the
word hero, is

"the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc." Quoted synonyms
are "lead" and "star"

All of which, I think, qualifies George Cole in his role as Arthur Daley in
Minder.

And since you are talking brain dead, only the brain dead would live in a
ridiculous eco-bollox mud hut like yours ...

****, as ever ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

And he's completely ignored the point I made about George Cole serving in
the RAF...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

He was no hero when he did that, never got to fly anything,
just a temporary radio operator well after the war had ended.
And he didnt even volunteer for that, just a conscript.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 3:42:40 PM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur Daley,
has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Larchlap Reilly is not a fence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 00:13:39 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Don't call me **** fer brains you arrogant opinionated arsehole. And as
ever, you are wrong, as one of the official dictionary definitions of
the word hero, is

"the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc." Quoted
synonyms are "lead" and "star"

All of which, I think, qualifies George Cole in his role as Arthur Daley
in Minder.

Umm, no. It qualifies Arthur Daley - for he was the character, not George
Cole.

Having said that, Arthur was much more of an anti-hero.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

Interesting to see your preference is for someone whose job was to kill
thousands over one who brought pleasure to millions.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/15 21:15, ARW wrote:

A hero is someone to aspire to. They need not risk their lives to be a
hero.

I would call Stephen Hawking a hero and he has never shot a Muslim.

I wonder what would happen if he decides to go a bit Davros with his
next chair. bzzt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
harry wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 15:42:40 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
George Cole, brilliant British actor, my hero, and the 'real' Arthur
Daley, has died.

RIP, old mate ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33803144

Arfa :-(

Even sadder the last bouncing bomb pilot has died.
A real hero, nor some bloody actor.

Interesting to see your preference is for someone whose job was to kill
thousands over one who brought pleasure to millions.

Killed thousands as may be Dave, but if Hitler had be able to go on
unchecked how many more would have been through his extermination camps
that was usually measured in Millions;!.

Next discussion, was Hiroshima and Nagasaki worth the candle;-?....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 00:13:39 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Don't call me **** fer brains you arrogant opinionated arsehole. And as
ever, you are wrong, as one of the official dictionary definitions of
the word hero, is

"the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc." Quoted
synonyms are "lead" and "star"

All of which, I think, qualifies George Cole in his role as Arthur Daley
in Minder.

Umm, no. It qualifies Arthur Daley - for he was the character, not George
Cole.

Well, I'm not going to argue semantics. I knew what I meant. You knew what I
meant. Everyone knew what I meant. Except of course Harry, who has no
understanding of using a word in a colloquial way. All I sought to do was
acknowledge the death (and life) of someone who I thought was a great comic
actor in general, was exceptional in the part of Arthur Daley, and was the
inspiration for the 'net nic that I have used for twenty years or more ...

Having said that, Arthur was much more of an anti-hero.

I'm not so sure about that. Arthur believed that he was a fine upstanding
member of the community, and it was this dichotomy that was responsible for
much of the (often very subtle) comic content of the part Cole was playing.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Interesting to see your preference is for someone whose job was to kill
thousands over one who brought pleasure to millions.

Killed thousands as may be Dave, but if Hitler had be able to go on
unchecked how many more would have been through his extermination camps
that was usually measured in Millions;!.

Not even vaguely the point I was making. Many thousands of the military
gave their lives in that cause.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Drivel.
An actor might play the part of a hero.
Can't think of a single actor who actually is a hero.

I don't remember Daley even playing the part of a hero.

Something here about heros seeing as you are so brain dead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 August 2015 11:53:22 UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

He was a grest comic and paid well for it.
End of story.
Many true heroes ended up dead or maimed.
Unrecognised.
Comparing Daley with true heroes is despicable.

Here is a true heroine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violette_Szabo

And another hero.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Jones

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
Drivel.
An actor might play the part of a hero.

Can't think of a single actor who actually is a hero.

No, of course you can't.

http://spartacus-educational.com/FWWridleyA.htm

michael adams