Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT - A sad day ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 00:13:39 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Don't call me **** fer brains you arrogant opinionated arsehole. And as
ever, you are wrong, as one of the official dictionary definitions of
the word hero, is

"the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc." Quoted
synonyms are "lead" and "star"

All of which, I think, qualifies George Cole in his role as Arthur Daley
in Minder.

Umm, no. It qualifies Arthur Daley - for he was the character, not George
Cole.

Well, I'm not going to argue semantics. I knew what I meant. You knew what I
meant. Everyone knew what I meant. Except of course Harry, who has no
understanding of using a word in a colloquial way. All I sought to do was
acknowledge the death (and life) of someone who I thought was a great comic
actor in general, was exceptional in the part of Arthur Daley, and was the
inspiration for the 'net nic that I have used for twenty years or more ...

Having said that, Arthur was much more of an anti-hero.

I'm not so sure about that. Arthur believed that he was a fine upstanding
member of the community, and it was this dichotomy that was responsible for
much of the (often very subtle) comic content of the part Cole was playing.

Arfa