Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pipe cutters

Hello,

The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to
unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered
about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and
don't rust?

I see some have a "flap" like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

whereas some do not, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

Is the "flap" useful? Or does it make absolutely no difference?

Has anyone tried this ratchet cutter:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p82627

It sounds useful in theory but how is it in practice?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to
unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered
about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and
don't rust?

The sort of steel that takes the best edge and retains it isn't stainless.

Whatever you get to replace it, keep somewhere dry.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to
unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered
about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and
don't rust?

I see some have a "flap" like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

whereas some do not, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

Is the "flap" useful? Or does it make absolutely no difference?

Has anyone tried this ratchet cutter:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p82627

It sounds useful in theory but how is it in practice?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Personally if it isn't Monument I don't buy it. I've had one of these
for 40 years and it still works perfectly. I even use it for stripping
SWA cable and plastic conduit.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...+Cutter/p78206

I have the 15mm Monument ring cutter, which is useful in tight spaces,
but it's not as good as the one above. I also have the open jaw type
cutter, this avoids the pipe distorting which can occur with the ring
cutters, but it can creep along the pipe on occasions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2015 11:51, Capitol wrote:

ring cutters, but it can creep along the pipe on occasions.

Yup, annoying when you are twiddling it in an awkward position, thinking
this pipe is taking ages to cut, only to find you are scribing a spiral
grove along its outside!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Capitol
writes
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to
unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered
about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and
don't rust?

I see some have a "flap" like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

whereas some do not, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

Is the "flap" useful? Or does it make absolutely no difference?

Has anyone tried this ratchet cutter:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p82627

It sounds useful in theory but how is it in practice?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Personally if it isn't Monument I don't buy it.

I've got one of the one like the one in the OP's first link - it didn't
have much use but now doesn't work properly. Can't say I found the flap
seems to make much difference.

I've had one of these for 40 years and it still works perfectly. I
even use it for stripping SWA cable and plastic conduit.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...g+%26+Bending/
sd2996/Monument+Pipe+Cutter/p78206

I have the 15mm Monument ring cutter, which is useful in tight
spaces, but it's not as good as the one above. I also have the open jaw
type cutter, this avoids the pipe distorting which can occur with the
ring cutters, but it can creep along the pipe on occasions.

d=don't think I've had the pipe distorting, but ring cutters can creep
along the pipe as well sometimes.

I do have an adjustable cutter like the one you link to, but I prefer
the ring cutters. I have some of the metal Rothenberger pipeslice ones
and they have been fine.

eg

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberg...ter-15mm/36198
--
Chris French

pipe cutters Stephen[_2_] UK diy 5 August 27th 08 10:24 PM
Soil-pipe cutters zxcvbob Home Repair 5 September 22nd 04 02:39 AM
how to sharpen mini dike cutters, nipper cutters? Jon Elson Metalworking 17 January 10th 04 06:52 AM
how to sharpen mini dike cutters, nipper cutters? Asimov Electronics Repair 0 December 30th 03 03:02 PM
how to sharpen mini dike cutters, nipper cutters? Ken G. Electronics Repair 0 December 28th 03 06:19 PM