Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default pipe cutters

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to
unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered
about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and
don't rust?

I see some have a "flap" like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

whereas some do not, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-t...ter-15mm/12468

Is the "flap" useful? Or does it make absolutely no difference?

Has anyone tried this ratchet cutter:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p82627

It sounds useful in theory but how is it in practice?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Personally if it isn't Monument I don't buy it. I've had one of these
for 40 years and it still works perfectly. I even use it for stripping
SWA cable and plastic conduit.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...+Cutter/p78206

I have the 15mm Monument ring cutter, which is useful in tight spaces,
but it's not as good as the one above. I also have the open jaw type
cutter, this avoids the pipe distorting which can occur with the ring
cutters, but it can creep along the pipe on occasions.