zxcvbob

Default Soil-pipe cutters

....like a Ridgid #276 or Reed SC49-6. What are the cutting wheels made
of? How easy are they to ruin?

My brother is a school teacher and wants to get a bunch of geodes
(hollow rocks) for the kids to break open. From what I've read, they
are commonly cracked using a soil-pipe cutter, which start at $350. If
he rents one, is he probably gonna ruin the cutters and have to buy a
new chain for it when he turns it in?

Thanks, regards,
Bob
Speedy Jim

zxcvbob wrote:

...like a Ridgid #276 or Reed SC49-6. What are the cutting wheels
made of? How easy are they to ruin?

My brother is a school teacher and wants to get a bunch of geodes
(hollow rocks) for the kids to break open. From what I've read, they
are commonly cracked using a soil-pipe cutter, which start at $350.
If he rents one, is he probably gonna ruin the cutters and have to
buy a new chain for it when he turns it in?

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Hmmmmmm. A soil pipe cutter wouldn't have been
my first choice for cutting rock (though I haven't
tried it...)

For a really low-budget operation, how about a
masonry (abrasive) saw blade in a circ saw or
even a chop saw?

Better, a diamond blade with water cooling to
control dust.

Either way, just cut partway thru and split with chisel.

Jim
Randd01

You wont ruin the cutters on the chain. They are pretty tuff. I've used them on
clay and cast iron pipe with no troubles.
I have also cut clay pipe by filling it with compacted sand and using a cold
chiesel and carefully going around the pipe several times till it cracks. Works
like a charm in a bind.
Joe Bobst

My brother is a school teacher and wants to get a bunch of geodes (hollow
rocks) for the kids to break open.

Wouldn't a rental tile saw work pretty well for this?

Jow

zxcvbob

Joe Bobst wrote:
My brother is a school teacher and wants to get a bunch of geodes (hollow
rocks) for the kids to break open.

Wouldn't a rental tile saw work pretty well for this?

Jow

That's what I thought at first.

A saw is too slow, and it can damage the crystals inside the geode worst
than cracking them open. Pipe-breakers, or homebrewed crackers built
out of hydraulic shop presses seem to be what's used in most rock and
gem shows.

Bob

KJS

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:53:50 -0700, zxcvbob wrote
(in article ):

Joe Bobst wrote:
My brother is a school teacher and wants to get a bunch of geodes (hollow
rocks) for the kids to break open.

Wouldn't a rental tile saw work pretty well for this?

Jow

That's what I thought at first.

A saw is too slow, and it can damage the crystals inside the geode worst
than cracking them open. Pipe-breakers, or homebrewed crackers built
out of hydraulic shop presses seem to be what's used in most rock and
gem shows.

Bob

The cutters are very tough. Hardened steel of some sort. Haven't done any
soil pipe for 10 years but IIRC they're not particularly sharp - made to
break cast iron & clay pipe neatly rather than cut it. I can't image the
geodes would hurt them.

Tell us how it goes ... Not the sort of project you hear about every day!

Replacing downstairs bog - soil pipe problems Jon Taylor UK diy 12 April 12th 04 10:48 PM
toilets / soil pipe position / measurements Colin Wilson UK diy 5 March 25th 04 08:13 PM
Finding a basement (below cement) soil pipe Brian Hillins Home Ownership 3 February 19th 04 03:17 PM
WC soil Pipe hays UK diy 17 October 30th 03 05:21 PM
Have I installed new soil pipe branch too high?? Monkey Brains UK diy 13 July 4th 03 01:09 PM