Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air BnB

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 10:19:27 +0100
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

On 02/07/2015 09:55, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 08:48:38 +0100, BobH wrote:

Lots of the usual internet scare stories out there but has anyone
personal experience and how did they find it ?

Pardon?

There might be a clue in the subject line.

Only if you have some idea of what the subject line means.

But if you don't, then you will have nothing to contribute on the
subject, so you can move right along.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 10:19:27 +0100
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

On 02/07/2015 09:55, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 08:48:38 +0100, BobH wrote:

Lots of the usual internet scare stories out there but has anyone
personal experience and how did they find it ?

Pardon?

There might be a clue in the subject line.

Only if you have some idea of what the subject line means.

But if you don't, then you will have nothing to contribute on the
subject, so you can move right along.

While your own contribution on this subject has been precisely what
exactly ?

Oh Fount of Wisdom and Enlightenement.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:24:07 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

While your own contribution on this subject has been precisely what
exactly ?

Nothing. I have never stayed at the Telford Premier Inn, and have no
plans to.

So what?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:24:07 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

While your own contribution on this subject has been precisely what
exactly ?

Nothing. I have never stayed at the Telford Premier Inn, and have no
plans to.

So what?

So why did you post anything at all ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 22:06:18 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:24:07 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

While your own contribution on this subject has been precisely what
exactly ?

Nothing. I have never stayed at the Telford Premier Inn, and have no
plans to.

So what?

So why did you post anything at all ?

michael adams

Why no? I made a valid comment on what to do if you don't understand a
Subject line. And it was a lot more informative than a vast amount of
other comments that I see posted, especially those whose posters cannot
resist swearing at others.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 22:06:18 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:24:07 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

While your own contribution on this subject has been precisely what
exactly ?

Nothing. I have never stayed at the Telford Premier Inn, and have no
plans to.

So what?

So why did you post anything at all ?

michael adams

Why no? I made a valid comment on what to do if you don't understand a
Subject line.

"Davey" wrote in message ...

But if you don't, then you will have nothing to contribute on the
subject, so you can move right along.

Not quite. You suggested that someone who had nothing to contribute
on the subject, could "move right along".

But on your own admission you had nothing to contribute on the subject
either.

So why didn't you follow your own advice, and "move along" too ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2015 23:09, Davey wrote:
Why no? I made a valid comment on what to do if you don't understand a
Subject line...

Not really. Had it been clearly marked as OT, then I would have ignored
it. However, as it was not, I checked to see whether it was something I
could help with. However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the
subject line, as had been suggested.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:33:59 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 22:06:18 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:24:07 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

While your own contribution on this subject has been precisely
what exactly ?

Nothing. I have never stayed at the Telford Premier Inn, and
have no plans to.

So what?

So why did you post anything at all ?

michael adams

Why no? I made a valid comment on what to do if you don't
understand a Subject line.

"Davey" wrote in message

But if you don't, then you will have nothing to contribute on the
subject, so you can move right along.

Not quite. You suggested that someone who had nothing to contribute
on the subject, could "move right along".

But on your own admission you had nothing to contribute on the subject
either.

So why didn't you follow your own advice, and "move along" too ?

michael adams

I would have done, if you hadn't kept on replying to my answers to you.
Your querying my one brief response has led to a large amount
of wasted electrons.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

On 02/07/2015 23:09, Davey wrote:
Why no? I made a valid comment on what to do if you don't
understand a Subject line...

Not really. Had it been clearly marked as OT, then I would have
ignored it. However, as it was not, I checked to see whether it was
something I could help with. However, either way, there was, for me,
no clue in the subject line, as had been suggested.

In my case, I had a vague idea what BnB was, although I have never used
it, and curiosity made me take a look.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line, as
had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you just
failed to take it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 08:21, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line, as
had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you just
failed to take it.

As I said before, the clue only exists if you have the faintest idea
what AirBnB is before looking. An OT prefix would have been a much
better clue.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 07:21:28 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line, as
had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you just
failed to take it.

I assumed Air BnB was an airline!

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul Herber wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 07:21:28 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line,
as had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you
just failed to take it.

I assumed Air BnB was an airline!

I wondered too.

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line,
as had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you
just failed to take it.

I assumed Air BnB was an airline!

I wondered too.

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/15 13:06, Chris French wrote:
Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

More particularly in a domain name...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line,
as had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you
just failed to take it.

I assumed Air BnB was an airline!

I wondered too.

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

It's a thread title. My newsreader doesn't complain if you use it in that.

--
*Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:40:51 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

However, either way, there was, for me, no clue in the subject line,
as had been suggested.

There was a very big, rather unsubtle clue in the subject line - you
just failed to take it.

I assumed Air BnB was an airline!

I wondered too.

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

It's a thread title. My newsreader doesn't complain if you use it in that.

Yes, but the company name is Airbnb (but no, that wouldn't have been
apparent if you didn't know what the thread was about)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 03/07/15 13:06, Chris French wrote:
Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

More particularly in a domain name...

True.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:33:13 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

It's a thread title. My newsreader doesn't complain if you use it in
that.

Tell that to http://www.airbnb.com (or http://www.airbnb.co.uk)

I'm really quite surprised that so many people appear never to have heard
of them, tbh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

It's a thread title. My newsreader doesn't complain if you use it in
that.

Yes, but the company name is Airbnb (but no, that wouldn't have been
apparent if you didn't know what the thread was about)

Ah. All is clear now. ;-)

--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:33:13 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

It's a thread title. My newsreader doesn't complain if you use it in
that.

Tell that to http://www.airbnb.com (or http://www.airbnb.co.uk)

I'm really quite surprised that so many people appear never to have
heard of them, tbh.

Only use 5 star (minimum) hotels, myself. ;-)

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 23:33:59 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 22:06:18 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

"Davey" wrote in message

But if you don't, then you will have nothing to contribute on the
subject, so you can move right along.

Not quite. You suggested that someone who had nothing to contribute
on the subject, could "move right along".

But on your own admission you had nothing to contribute on the subject
either.

So why didn't you follow your own advice, and "move along" too ?

michael adams

I would have done,

But you didn't, did you ?

Rather than follow your own advice, having nothing to contribute
to the thread, by "moving right along", you instead tried to order
another poster about, by telling them to "move right along"
instead.

When if you really want to be picky, they may have had a
valid point to make all along. Whereas you never had one
at any stage.

Because, to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the
subject not obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't
all that obvious following the first three or four posts
either.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 14:38, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:33:13 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

Yeah, but an ampersand isn't going to play well in a url.

It's a thread title. My newsreader doesn't complain if you use it in
that.

Tell that to http://www.airbnb.com (or http://www.airbnb.co.uk)

I'm really quite surprised that so many people appear never to have heard
of them, tbh.

I can't think of any reason why I would have had a need to have heard of it.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:08:41 +0100, michael adams wrote:

Because, to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the subject not
obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't all that obvious following
the first three or four posts either.

But, thinking "Oooh, I'm not quite sure what this is about", surely the
first thing to do would be to shove the big fat hairy clue in the thread
title into a search engine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 15:34, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would have had a need to have heard of
it.

I don't need to have heard that Barbie's boyfriend is Ken, or that
Sylvanian families is a popular toy for girls, but I have.

If I saw a thread title saying "Tamagotchi problem", and I didn't know
what one of those was, I'd probably use the opportunity to find out with
the aid of a search engine. Learning new things is good.

I heard about Airbnb from reading articles in newspapers. One was
talking about their logo design IIRC. If I hadn't, then putting the
terms air and bnb into a popular search engine tells me on the front page.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 16:10, Clive George wrote:
On 03/07/2015 15:34, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would have had a need to have heard of
it.

I don't need to have heard that Barbie's boyfriend is Ken, or that
Sylvanian families is a popular toy for girls, but I have.

But would you think it surprising that I had never heard of Syvanian
families before you mentioned it, which is the point under discussion?

...Learning new things is good.

Learning useful new things is good. Learning things that have no
practical value may sometimes be interesting, but more often will be a
complete waste of time.

I heard about Airbnb from reading articles in newspapers. One was
talking about their logo design IIRC. If I hadn't, then putting the
terms air and bnb into a popular search engine tells me on the front page.

That still doesn't mean I should have heard of it before this.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar.me.uk" wrote in message

[...]

Fret not. Makes two of us that didn't have psychic V1.0 installed at birth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 17:45, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:
On 03/07/2015 16:10, Clive George wrote:
On 03/07/2015 15:34, Nightjar cpb@ wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would have had a need to have heard of
it.

I don't need to have heard that Barbie's boyfriend is Ken, or that
Sylvanian families is a popular toy for girls, but I have.

But would you think it surprising that I had never heard of Syvanian
families before you mentioned it, which is the point under discussion?

...Learning new things is good.

Learning useful new things is good. Learning things that have no
practical value may sometimes be interesting, but more often will be a
complete waste of time.

You've spent sufficiently long on this particular thread to indicate
that time isn't _that_ tight for you :-)

I heard about Airbnb from reading articles in newspapers. One was
talking about their logo design IIRC. If I hadn't, then putting the
terms air and bnb into a popular search engine tells me on the front
page.

That still doesn't mean I should have heard of it before this.

I don't think you _should_ have heard about it before. However I think
it's sufficiently easy to find out about it to make it not a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 18:02, Clive George wrote:
I don't think you _should_ have heard about it before. However I think
it's sufficiently easy to find out about it to make it not a problem.

I didn't suggest it was a problem. I simply pointed out that there was
not a useful clue in the subject line. A prefix of OT would have been
useful.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:14:07 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

I simply pointed out that there was not a useful clue in the subject
line.

A clue that was useful for you, perhaps. But that doesn't mean there
wasn't a clue.

Ask Joe Average in the street if they've heard of AirBnB, and I suspect
you'd have very high recognition.

A prefix of OT would have been useful.

It makes a change in this group at the mo for something NOT to be flagged
OT...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:08:41 +0100, michael adams wrote:

Because, to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the subject not
obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't all that obvious following
the first three or four posts either.

But, thinking "Oooh, I'm not quite sure what this is about", surely the
first thing to do would be to shove the big fat hairy clue in the thread
title into a search engine?

But not according to Davey

"Davey" wrote in message

But if you don't, [recognise the name in the thread title] then you will have nothing
contribute on the subject, so you can move right along.

So are you saying Davey is indeed wrong ?

The fact that he subsequently changed his tune, and suggested that the above -
"move right along" could somehow be interpreted in some way, as an invitation
to look up Air BnB on Google simply doesn't hold water, I'm afraid.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 20:35:25 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

The fact that he subsequently changed his tune, and suggested that
the above - "move right along" could somehow be interpreted in some
way, as an invitation to look up Air BnB on Google simply doesn't
hold water, I'm afraid.

Where did I do that? And what is your problem? There are serious trolls
on these newsgroups, who are far more worthy of attention than me.

(This is really going nowhere.)

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:08:41 on Fri, 3 Jul 2015,
michael adams remarked:
to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the
subject not obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't
all that obvious following the first three or four posts
either.

What's non-obvious from the 2nd reply (mine):

"I've used it once and it was good. Turned out to be an upmarket
professional B&B (rather than someone with a spare room, which I think
is more common), "
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:08:41 on Fri, 3 Jul 2015, michael adams
remarked:
to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the
subject not obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't
all that obvious following the first three or four posts
either.

What's non-obvious from the 2nd reply (mine):

"I've used it once and it was good. Turned out to be an upmarket professional B&B
(rather than someone with a spare room, which I think is more common), "
--
Roland Perry

But from that, you could be talking about a single B&B somewhere.
..

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But & is invalid in a domain name, so it has to be www.airbnb.com
instead of www.airb&b.com.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

The standard abbreviation is and always has been B&B.

But & is invalid in a domain name, so it has to be www.airbnb.com
instead of www.airb&b.com.

We've been through this.

The thread title says 'Air BnB' Not airbnb. If it had said Air B&B (or
even Air B'n'B) if you want to alter the name I'd have had an idea what it
was about immediately.

--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News)
escribió:

I'd have had an idea what it
was about immediately.

If you'd had a clue and stuck airbnb into google, we wouldn't have had
this interminable thread about the number of angels dancing on the head
of a ****ing pin.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

I'd have had an idea what it
was about immediately.

If you'd had a clue and stuck airbnb into google, we wouldn't have had
this interminable thread about the number of angels dancing on the head
of a ****ing pin.

Or even easier, the OP could have given a clue about it in the text of the
first post.

And you seem to be contributing plenty to the waste of bandwidth.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 09:44:03 on Sat, 4 Jul 2015,
michael adams remarked:
to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the
subject not obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't
all that obvious following the first three or four posts
either.

What's non-obvious from the 2nd reply (mine):

"I've used it once and it was good. Turned out to be an upmarket professional B&B
(rather than someone with a spare room, which I think is more common), "

But from that, you could be talking about a single B&B somewhere.

In the same sense that eBay only has one seller??
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:44:03 on Sat, 4 Jul 2015, michael adams
remarked:
to anyone unfamiliar with Air BnB, not only was the
subject not obvious from the thread title, but it wasn't
all that obvious following the first three or four posts
either.

What's non-obvious from the 2nd reply (mine):

"I've used it once and it was good. Turned out to be an upmarket professional B&B
(rather than someone with a spare room, which I think is more common), "

But from that, you could be talking about a single B&B somewhere.

In the same sense that eBay only has one seller??
--
Roland Perry

Er no.

"Air B&B" could be the name of a single B&B,
just the same as "Sunnyside B&B", or
"Ardsley B&B"

There's no indication from what you quoted there,
that Air B&B doesn't refer to a single establishment
rather than a website.

michael adams