Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden Wall

Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/15 13:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

Some sort of brick sealant? The sort sold in the sheds and builders
merchants?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 May 2015 13:54:51 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

Anything painted on will soon let more water in than out. Tile, slate, etc are more effective.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
garden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lot worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

I use this...it does last about seven years .......

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk...Fe_LtAodHCgAJA

I take it the tile under the 'coping' course was to stop rain water
penetrating downwards ........?..walls survive better with a proper DPC
course under copings to stop rain water getting into them ......also I
would check if the wall has been built properly with engineering brick at
ground level and not a horizontal DPC ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around
the carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top
- but I have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

Just looked again - the side wall does not have the tiles under the top
course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.236:

Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around
the carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top
- but I have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

Just looked again - the side wall does not have the tiles under the top
course.

is that the part that is blowing ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes:
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

How is the top of the wall formed?
Does it have capping with a drip strip to shed water away from the
wall faces?

Applying coatings can make things worse, by trapping moisture inside
the wall. Wall must still be able to breath.

Any idea how old the wall is? If it's relatively new and spalling,
that might also point to it having been built with bricks which are
too absorbent. Garden walls where both sides are exposed need lower
absorbency bricks that house walls, where only one side is exposed
(and the other side used to get some heating, before super-insulated
homes).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lor worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

You can, but it's not going to do anything about the ones that have already
spalled.

I'd take the top few courses off, put an oversailor on each skin and an
engineering brick top, it could probably do with lowering a bit anyway if
it's quite high

Party Wall Act - front garden wall Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 0 May 14th 09 04:28 PM
Garden wall MiamiCuse Home Repair 2 February 8th 07 02:03 AM
Repairs to garden wall Bruce Hall UK diy 10 April 18th 06 10:48 PM
garden wall design Stuart Noble UK diy 13 March 9th 06 08:30 AM
Garden Wall Sheridan Say UK diy 1 August 11th 05 09:09 PM