Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden wall

I understand in most cities if you build a concrete or masonry wall
like a privacy wall along the property line you will need a permit, in
Miami here you have to design the footings and wind load etc...and it
makes a masonry wall fence cost prohibitive.

I am wondering when is a wall considered a wall? I mean if I lay
concrete blocks around the property just 8" tall I don't think it
would be considered a wall, but may be a plant border. So at some
point, it becomes a "real wall"? I wonder what the threshold is. I
am thinking of doing a concrete border may be 16" tall (two 8" blocks)
I wonder if I need a structural footing for that...looking for an
effect like this:

http://www.rogerhopkins.com/portfoli...checter003.JPG

http://www.eruuf.org/Wall.jpg

of course, the blocks would have stucco applied and painted.

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:25 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

You will have to ask the Building Department.
Codes I have seen specify max height, not min.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 10:25 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

depends on the jurisdiction

IMO the first "wall" is not a wall & the second one is borderline

I think in most towns taller than 3' is a wall, shorter is not a wall

with respect to codes....there is an intent behind the code, that is,
what the code is really trying to accomplish

the chances of 3' or shorter falling over or blowing over are pretty
small.....plus the consequences of failed 3' wall are much less severe
than the failure of a 6' or 8' wall.

cheers
Bob

Need advice on retaining/garden wall (maybe OT) Eigenvector Home Repair 4 July 21st 06 04:59 PM
Repairs to garden wall Bruce Hall UK diy 10 April 18th 06 10:48 PM
garden wall design Stuart Noble UK diy 13 March 9th 06 08:30 AM
Garden Wall Sheridan Say UK diy 1 August 11th 05 09:09 PM
Making good a garden wall Ladybodger UK diy 9 May 1st 05 01:02 PM