Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Party Wall Act - front garden wall

I am intending to build a brick wall about 3ft high alongside my drive.
It will be wholly on my property but up to the boundary.

The neighbours driveway is a solid concrete slab and our side of the
boundary is shingle.

At the furthest point from the public road the wall will be slightly
over 1 metre from the front corner of their house.

As I read the Act I do not need to serve a notice.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996..._en_1#pb1-l1g1

An explanatory booklet does however suggest that I do need to serve a
notice.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...pdf/133214.pdf

Sadly this is not a question of semantics. The neighbours that side are
a little strange and have not spoken to us since they caused damage to
our property nearly 2 years ago. (All we did was ask them to discuss
with us how to avoid further damage if they wanted to do the same again!)

Anyone got any knowledge of this situation?

This has also been posted to uk.legal.moderated

TIA for any replies

foundations next to party wall sm_jamieson UK diy 27 May 18th 06 12:24 AM
party wall [email protected] UK diy 3 November 29th 05 09:15 AM
Boundary wall vs "party wall" (off topic!) [email protected] UK diy 15 August 12th 05 06:49 PM
party wall nthng2snet UK diy 30 July 9th 05 12:20 AM
party wall act in2minds UK diy 6 November 23rd 04 05:34 PM