Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Garden Wall

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the
garden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I
have seen some in same road a lot worse,
Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under.
I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to
reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

I use this...it does last about seven years .......

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk...Fe_LtAodHCgAJA

I take it the tile under the 'coping' course was to stop rain water
penetrating downwards ........?..walls survive better with a proper DPC
course under copings to stop rain water getting into them ......also I
would check if the wall has been built properly with engineering brick at
ground level and not a horizontal DPC ......