Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Talking of garage doors....

When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 09:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

In my area (S. Manchester/Cheshire) there are several garage door
repairers advertising their services, including motorising an existing
door. Suggest you check around before lashing out on a new door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 09:36:23 +0100
nemo wrote:

On 07/05/2015 09:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door
on the garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is
very difficult to raise speshly since I have had this
transplant...anybody recommend a nice roller type door powered or
not that would make life easier .....?

In my area (S. Manchester/Cheshire) there are several garage door
repairers advertising their services, including motorising an
existing door. Suggest you check around before lashing out on a new
door.

Agreed. I have one where all it needed was the spring to be lubricated,
re-set and then re-wound, now it's fine.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 May 2015 09:12:06 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

We just had one installed by Essati
http://www.essatigaragedoors.co.uk/index.php

There was a locally advertised deal that was ca £7 or 800. this was a
door fitted to the existing frame and one remote.
With a bit of up selling, old frame removed, two swish remotes,
alarm, and 10 year insurance backed warranty it came in a shade under
£1100.

We are very pleased with it. They get good reviews and the ball park
price from the local rip off merchants was ca £1700. YMMV

members. Groucho Marx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very
difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a
nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

We just had one installed by Essati
http://www.essatigaragedoors.co.uk/index.php

There was a locally advertised deal that was ca £7 or 800. this was a
door fitted to the existing frame and one remote.
With a bit of up selling, old frame removed, two swish remotes,
alarm, and 10 year insurance backed warranty it came in a shade under
£1100.

We are very pleased with it. They get good reviews and the ball park
price from the local rip off merchants was ca £1700. YMMV

£1100 ! cough cough ....I'm Scottish you know ......sounds OK actually
....thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nemo" wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 09:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very
difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a
nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

In my area (S. Manchester/Cheshire) there are several garage door
repairers advertising their services, including motorising an existing
door. Suggest you check around before lashing out on a new door.

may do...but I only kept the Mustang and the motorbike in there so up to now
didn't bother me much .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo wrote:

On 07/05/2015 09:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door
on the garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is
very difficult to raise speshly since I have had this
transplant...anybody recommend a nice roller type door powered or
not that would make life easier .....?

In my area (S. Manchester/Cheshire) there are several garage door
repairers advertising their services, including motorising an
existing door. Suggest you check around before lashing out on a new
door.

Agreed. I have one where all it needed was the spring to be lubricated,
re-set and then re-wound, now it's fine.

Davey.

I seem to remember having somebody look at years ago it I was dealing with
at work and I think he said the spring was knackered .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The motor in electrically operated roller shutter doors essentially controls the rate of the speed of opening. (i.e.) If the spring assist is set properly the door will almost open itself. So I wouldn't be that mad to pop for an electric one if your bad back was the driving force.

Having said that the remote control is a blessing some times.

Make sure you have an alternative means of access in case the motor fails to operate as you won't open the door against the motor. I jury rigged a remote cable to release the handle that sets the motor against the drive cog. That way I can release the motor and raise the door by hand if needs be. (This is a roller shutter door)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

'opening soon in Glasgow'...woo hoo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo wrote:

On 07/05/2015 09:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter
door on the garage....after a while the springs must have went
and it is very difficult to raise speshly since I have had this
transplant...anybody recommend a nice roller type door powered or
not that would make life easier .....?

In my area (S. Manchester/Cheshire) there are several garage door
repairers advertising their services, including motorising an
existing door. Suggest you check around before lashing out on a new
door.

Agreed. I have one where all it needed was the spring to be
lubricated, re-set and then re-wound, now it's fine.

Davey.

I seem to remember having somebody look at years ago it I was dealing
with at work and I think he said the spring was knackered .......

That may be, but mine had sat for about 30 years and only been opened a
few times, and it now works just fine after the right treatment.

We had a different door replaced by these folks (it was old and
well beyond its Best Before Date):
http://www.easterngaragedoors.co.uk/
and are well pleased with it. It's steel, and has extra locking
fittings on the frame, so that the sides can't be bent upwards, and the
top can't be pulled or pushed.
It can be motorised later if we want.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

We just had one installed by Essati
http://www.essatigaragedoors.co.uk/index.php

There was a locally advertised deal that was ca £7 or 800. this was a
door fitted to the existing frame and one remote.
With a bit of up selling, old frame removed, two swish remotes,
alarm, and 10 year insurance backed warranty it came in a shade under
£1100.

We are very pleased with it. They get good reviews and the ball park
price from the local rip off merchants was ca £1700. YMMV

That is remarkably cheap.

We had several quotes. The cheapest, from someone who didn't fill us
with confidence, was over £2k for a double width door, Conversely, the
one we went width, which was slight more expensive, was chosen on the
basis that the person doing the quote seemed to understand the issues
and made a proper job of measuring up etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... pretended :
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

Ten years ago, so prices will have increased, but I paid around £450
for a made to measure kit, to replace an up and over which was worn
out. The new door had/has a long small diameter motor in the centre of
the roll and takes up very little room. It came with two remotes, one
in the house, one in the car.

It was a DIY install, with the kit of parts collected directly from the
door maker. It was trivially easy to install. One point that you need
to be aware of is that the processor has crashed a couple of times and
the inside the garage RCD has tripped out once, making it impossible to
open from the outside. Inside there is a manual cranking winder, though
I have never needed to use it. I do have two other people sized doors,
so was able to get in to reset it. If there is no other way in, you can
buy an extra kit, which allows the cranking to be done from outside.

The slats in the door are an alloy box section, filled with insulation.
This type of door is not that secure, access is easy if noise is not an
issue, but round here it would not be a problem, theft and break ins
are very rare. So rare I have often left doors open and unlocked and
had no concerns.

I added a wired set of control buttons in the garage and a magic eye
across the door, to inhibit it from closing on the car, or pets. I
further extended the latter with an LED, which lights up when I have
got the car just far enough in the garage, to be able to close the
door.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 09:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
When I bought this house there was a shop type roller shutter door on the
garage....after a while the springs must have went and it is very difficult
to raise speshly since I have had this transplant...anybody recommend a nice
roller type door powered or not that would make life easier .....?

I got a Hormann sectional door installed in our last house

http://www.hormann.co.uk/garage-doors/sectional-doors/

which was the dog's doodahs as far as I was concerned. Quite pricey
though and repair might be straightforward.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've said this before in a similar thread a few months (a year?) ago:

- I paid about 800 for our electric, remote controlled roller door,
fitted by "a bloke who works at the factory where they make them".

- It's a cheap door, but we have been delighted with it (WONDERFUL
compared to the extremely heavy, draughty, up'n'over that it replaced.
However ...

- ... the only safety mechanism to prevent it relentlessly closing on an
obstruction is a 'magic eye'. This work fine for cars, people --
anything bulky; but if you have left (say) a spade propped in the
doorway, it won't see it. It will close, and it will snap its flimsy
plastic clamps, which secure it to the roller. It is a big and fairly
skilled job to replace these.

- Thanks to breaking the clamps TWICE, I have developed an intensely
ingrained habit of watching the door close. This habit is still not 100%
good enough -- I closed the door on a shallow box only last week --
missed by the magic eye, and also by my own eye: a horrible crunching
ensued, but I *think* I may have got away with it as Basil said.

- Next time I get such a door installed I will splash more money and get
one with e pressure detector across the whole bottom edge, which will
stop, and reverse, the mechanism as soon as anything is touched: that is
the proper way to do it (I now know :-( ).

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
[...]

Up and over motorised doors sense the closing force and reverse when a
current limit is exceeded. I don't know if roller doors have this function.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 10:34:07 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Another John wrote:
[...]

Yes, In our door it can be adjusted easily. If not set correct the door will give false stop and returns or keep trying to go through he floor for a few seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John formulated on Thursday :
- Thanks to breaking the clamps TWICE, I have developed an intensely
ingrained habit of watching the door close. This habit is still not 100%
good enough -- I closed the door on a shallow box only last week --
missed by the magic eye, and also by my own eye: a horrible crunching
ensued, but I *think* I may have got away with it as Basil said.

I can't see how you can break the plastic clamps, at least on mine. If
it tries to close onto anything, the door just unrolls itself around
the axial into bigger loops. I did though manage to break one of them
during installation and it was a simple job to install a replacement,
they just hook on and slide into place.

The motor has a built in adjustable over load system, a top stop and
bottom stop adjustments - both very precise and have never needed any
further adjustment. The control unit includes a couple of adjustable
timers, for up and down. You just adjust them each, to allow just
enough time for the door to fully open and fully close.

I was quite impressed with the kit, especially for what I paid for it.

The younger of the two BC's, who when she first arrived here was
terrified of the door, has now sussed out that walking through the door
as it closes, triggers the magic eye to reopen the door and it is now a
bit of a game for her. I start it going down, she makes it reopen -
repeatedly.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Another John formulated on Thursday :
- Thanks to breaking the clamps TWICE...

I can't see how you can break the plastic clamps, at least on mine. If
it tries to close onto anything, the door just unrolls itself around
the axial into bigger loops. I did though manage to break one of them
during installation and it was a simple job to install a replacement,
they just hook on and slide into place.

Well mine breaks 'em: it just continues unrolling (even though it's
being stopped by the obstruction), and this process seems to break the
clamps. (I'm trying to think this through, but nothin' happens [in my
head]). The guy who fitted it, and came back to fix the new clamps,
wasn't surprised at all by this happening, and had indeed given me
severe warnings against propping things up near the door, when he first
installed it.

The motor has a built in adjustable over load system,

Don't think mine has that.

a top stop and
bottom stop adjustments - both very precise and have never needed any
further adjustment.

Mine has that: in fact this is the only method of determining when to
stop rolling down, or rolling up.

The control unit includes a couple of adjustable
timers, for up and down. You just adjust them each, to allow just
enough time for the door to fully open and fully close.

No timers.

I was quite impressed with the kit, especially for what I paid for it.

Ah yes: "kit" -- you were confident enough to look for a kit, and then
install it yourself, and so you know all about yours! I on the other
hand "paid a guy to do it" (once again, lack of DIY balls on my part!)

Which brings me to my final point: what is the make of yours Harry?
Mine seems to be made by Autoroll UK. (And in fairness to them: I'm
perfectly happy with the door, within its limitations, which were
explained to me when it was installed. It's an economy door.)

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

or you lose mains power. I know someone who was completely stuck at home
with no electricity since he couldn't get his car out of the garage.
Luckily for him, I called because he wasn't where he said he was going to
be.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18