Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage doors

My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could get
in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood, possibly
untreated before they were finished on the outside with some sort of
stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could
get in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood,
possibly untreated before they were finished on the outside with some
sort of stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?

Shiplap. Sounds like you have feather edge.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:45:40 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could get
in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood, possibly
untreated before they were finished on the outside with some sort of
stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?

I know they've been posted before, but it bears another airing.
When you have made your garage door sound, there are options for decorating
it to make it stand out from all the other ones in the street:

http://www.style-your-garage.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:45:40 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:

My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could get
in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood, possibly
untreated before they were finished on the outside with some sort of
stain.

Hmm, I'm not sure if there are many of us about with that kind of setup
any more - everyone seems to have up-and-over stuff these days.

Mine are ratty as hell (garage had bakelite fittings, which gives an idea
of age), but sound a bit more solid than yours even. I'm just going to
rip them off and make new ones this year - some kind of OSB[1] over a
diagonal-braced frame, moisture barrier, shiplap (as TMH says), and
probably some kind of outer, decorative framework. Going to be heavy, but
I don't care...

The whole garage is coming down in a few years anyway - maybe I'll re-use
the 'new' doors then if they're still good (I really like the look[2] of
side-hinged ones)

[1] does OSB make sense there? I'm not sure if it's a US-only term.
[2] shame about the sealing properties...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pete
writes
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:45:40 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could get
in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood, possibly
untreated before they were finished on the outside with some sort of
stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?

I know they've been posted before, but it bears another airing.
When you have made your garage door sound, there are options for decorating
it to make it stand out from all the other ones in the street:

http://www.style-your-garage.com/

OK for metal up-and-overs, but not really right for timber side hung
doors (see original post) behind a Grade II listed barn. Five houses in
the road, all with the same type of garage doors. You can't see ours
from the road anyway.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could
get in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood,
possibly untreated before they were finished on the outside with some
sort of stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?

Shiplap. Sounds like you have feather edge.

No, they're T&G, like cladding.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes
[...]

Yes, OSB is used in the UK, and in some continental countries too.

I have to use the T&G as the garage is with our Grade II listed
converted barn, and probably has to stick with the original style.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2010 17:45, Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could get
in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood, possibly
untreated before they were finished on the outside with some sort of stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?

OK, I would consider replacing the existing wood like-for-like in
western red cedar (as it is inherently rot resistant). Your local timber
yard will be able to help. Take a sample of the existing with you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Osborne
writes
On 15/03/2010 17:45, Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10 years
old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped. So much so
that the staples have pulled out in places and the evil-minded could get
in just by pulling the boards off. They appear to be softwood, possibly
untreated before they were finished on the outside with some sort of stain.

The frames are OK, it's just the boards that need replacing. What type
of wood would be acceptable, bearing in mind that they have to be
stained etc., not painted?

OK, I would consider replacing the existing wood like-for-like in
western red cedar (as it is inherently rot resistant). Your local
timber yard will be able to help. Take a sample of the existing with you.

Thanks for a sensible reply. The choice is between western red cedar and
softwood (such as floorboards?), which I suppose would need added
protection.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 12:04 am, Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Dave Osborne
writes

[...]

expect softwood will be vastly cheaper tho need the bottoms standing
in a bucket of wood preserver for a good soak before fixing (once dry
and wearing gloves naturally)

Cheers
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, JimK
writes
[...]

That's going to be some bucket as there are four doors with a total
width (excluding the frames) of 3m68. About 40 boards, depending on
their width.

I'm considering Wickes General Purpose Cladding:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/General-Purp...ng/invt/128462
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:
In message
,
JimK writes
On Mar 17, 12:04 am, Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Dave Osborne
writes

On 15/03/2010 17:45, Peter Twydell wrote:
My garage doors (T&G, braced, side hung, south facing, about 10
years old) are looking tatty, and some of the boards are warped.
So much so that the staples have pulled out in places and the
evil-minded could get in just by pulling the boards off. They
appear to be softwood, possibly untreated before they were
finished on the outside with some sort stain.

[...]

Still say shiplap is the better choice :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
In message
,
JimK writes
[...]

Fitted vertically?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
In message
,
JimK writes
[...]

What does it look like fitted vertically? Would you fit it one way round
on one door and the opposite way on the other as it's asymmetrical? The
Wickes website says to use it horizontally.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Garage Doors rogerfisher Home Repair 23 August 21st 09 05:24 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 08:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 08:41 AM
Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM
New Garage Doors ClaudCar Home Repair 4 March 9th 05 01:02 AM