ClaudCar

Default New Garage Doors

having a problem with my garage door - vinyl insulated sectional. The guy
who rescued my car "said" that it was a bottom end door and wants to replace
the whole door rather than just repairing the track. The difference in
price for the repair and the new door and opener is $1000. I am now having
this fear of getting stuck in there again, as he won't warranty the work.
But the door sure moves nice and quiet now!

I have installed a Wayne Dalton before - understand this is a high end door.
Like the look of the I-Drive too. This is Southern California - so moisture
(most years) / cold is a non-issue, heat is an issue - which is why
insulated door.

--
Claudia
__________________________________

Brian

Always get multiple bids....

Many companies would do track adjustment for like ~ $100...
(And they will warranty the work)

If your door is fine, runs "nice and quite" why replace it?

Brian

ClaudCar

because of the way it disintegrated when it detracked. recommended to
rebuild all hinges, half of them pulled out. runs nice and quiet NOW. the
track doesn't need adjusting, the lowers need replacing because whatever
caused the door to de-track torqued the lower tracks. the doors were LOW bid
on the install of this tract of condos. to replace wood doors, but no opener
replacement. so opener is of inderterminate age.

--
Claudia
__________________________________
"Age is...wisdom, if one has lived
one's life properly." --Miriam Makeba, singer
"Brian" wrote in message
ups.com...
Always get multiple bids....

Many companies would do track adjustment for like ~ $100...
(And they will warranty the work)

If your door is fine, runs "nice and quite" why replace it?

Brian

Michael Baugh

I'm just not sure that you are fully relating the story.
First off, unless the opener died, you have no need to replace it other than
your desire. It could last another 50 years, regardless of its current age.
And if it were to die, you can disengage it, raise and lower the door by
hand, etc/ till you put in another opener. Which isn't likely to be terribly
difficult to install.
And the part about disintegration. Put some Styrofoam insulation out in the
sun for a few months/years. It degrades. Many of the insulated doors depend
on the continued integrity of the foam panels. I'm just not sure that you
need an insulated door. May be better with a temperature-controlled fan to
reduce heat buildup in the garage.
So I guess what I'm saying is that you should talk with other contractors,
and don't decide right away about which direction to jump.

"ClaudCar" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message

And the part about disintegration. Put some Styrofoam insulation out in
the
sun for a few months/years. It degrades. Many of the insulated doors
depend
on the continued integrity of the foam panels. I'm just not sure that you
need an insulated door.

Foam (and many other materials) exposed to the UV rays of the sun will
slowly degrade, but sandwiched in a door, there are no UV rays.