Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy conservation ...

En el artículo , Syd Rumpo
escribió:

My dad worked at a small local exchange. As kids in the holidays, my
sister and I would creep round in the gloom to be scared by the sudden
unpredictable stepping of the Strowger switches.

The engineers called them 'click'n'bang" because of the noise they made.

I saw a working Strowger exchange in the Liverpool area shortly before
it was converted to System X. This was in the days when BT exchanges
had 'open days', long gone.

It was fascinating watching the uniselectors in action, clicking
stepping up as the first digit of the number was dialled, then along as
the second number was dialled, followed by the bang when the line
cleared and it reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNNKLuM8yY8

As part of the System X migration, there were massive bundles of blue
and yellow twisted pair cables connecting each individual line from the
old Strowger frames to the new System X. It was quite a sight.

The battery room was also interesting - maybe a couple of hundred huge
floor standing lead acid batteries wired to massive bare copper bus bars
running horizontally at about 8ft off the floor. The engineer showing
me around did warn not to touch them

--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 21:28, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Syd Rumpo
escribió:

[...]

Yes, I remember once seeing the battery room in the main exchange - I
recall that each 2V cell was about a metre cube (but I was very small).
In that exchange they had some sort of bomb shelter stocked with boxes
of rations which they'd sell to staff every few years when they were
renewed. Tins of beans, corned beef, chocolate, oatmeal biscuits - it
was a real treat.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 06/05/15 14:19, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, it's the breed of hens.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 06/05/2015 12:54, Charlie wrote:
That's my experience of the mid-fifties. In the summer my mum would stand
the unopened milk in a bucket of cold water in the outhouse but when that
got warm she would boil the milk so that it would keep longer...

Butter and milk were kept under unglazed terracotta shaped covers,
which stood in glazed dishes that were kept topped up with water.
Evaporative cooling kept them surprisingly cool.

We do the same kind of thing when camping without electric. Milk
standing in a bowl of water, with a damp cloth over.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
news
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable
foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been
trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, it's the breed of hens.

interesting thanks .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable
foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been
trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, the breed of hen.

interesting thanks ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable
foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been
trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, it's the breed of hens.

interesting thanks .....

Yup and some breeds even produce blue/green and even speckly eggs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
[...]

I thought it was just a pink flamingo type thing......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an
age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been
trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, it's the breed of hens.

interesting thanks .....

Yup and some breeds even produce blue/green and even speckly eggs.

I thought it was just a pink flamingo type thing......

It's all about the chicken

The answer is so simple that you may be surprised. White-feathered
chickens with white ear lobes lay white eggs and red-feathered ones with
red ear lobes lay brown eggs (this may not apply to all breeds). And
besides that, there are certain chickens that even lay speckled eggs and
blue eggs. But when you get down to the egg, nutritionally there is no
difference -- it's all just in the looks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1342583.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think I could eat a white egg these days...no choice in the
past.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 08:02, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

Really? The colour doesn't bother me. All in the mind, I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

yes ...I am damaged with issues ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message

I don't think I could eat a white egg these days...no choice in the
past.....

There was, but it wasn't necessarily easy to exercise. My mother used to
think that the brown ones tasted better, so I had to go to the only
place that sold them, which was the local fishmongers.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 May 2015 08:04:06 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, the breed of hen.

interesting thanks ...

You can even get pale blue or pale green hens' eggs
http://tinyurl.com/k5mzcbm

We have two farmers who sell by the half-dozen (£1). The one up the
road has large brown or white eggs. The one down the road has medium
sized eggs, brown, white and blue.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, the breed of hen.

interesting thanks ...

You can even get pale blue or pale green hens' eggs
http://tinyurl.com/k5mzcbm

We have two farmers who sell by the half-dozen (£1). The one up the
road has large brown or white eggs. The one down the road has medium
sized eggs, brown, white and blue.

£1 !...all the buggers up here charge at least £1.50 ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 May 2015 13:11:10 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:11:07 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 06/05/15 12:05, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 11:29:42 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Why in this age of energy conservation did they do away with vented
larders and the daylight requirement in kitchens ? .....

they dont keep goods below 5C, so food poisoning incidence is much
higher.

NT

how did we survive in the 50's and 60's .......

Shopping everyday.

....with a sting bag and a co-op number like 14716 ...........

My mum's number was 8747...lower!

But the she worked for the Co-Op from the age of 14...

funny how you can remember a number when you hear it every day as a bairn

Doesn’t need to be every day either, I can still remember a couple of
phone
numbers from the time when I was in the bottom end of highschool.

you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889 9010

Do you mean '96? Glasgow was 041 until "PhONEday", 16 April 1995.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 11:29:42 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Why in this age of energy conservation did they do away with vented
larders and the daylight requirement in kitchens ? .....

they dont keep goods below 5C, so food poisoning incidence is much
higher.

NT

how did we survive in the 50's and 60's .......

by buying food more often

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141
889 9010

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

The phone when I was a kid had no dial. You picked up the phone and an
operator said "Number please".

you are joking !

There were manual exchanges in use in teh early 60's. BYPass in Edinburgh
and MOLesey to the SW of London,

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18