Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy conservation ...

"Bod" wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 13:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:11:07 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 06/05/15 12:05, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 11:29:42 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Why in this age of energy conservation did they do away with
vented
larders and the daylight requirement in kitchens ? .....

they dont keep goods below 5C, so food poisoning incidence is much
higher.

NT

how did we survive in the 50's and 60's .......

Shopping everyday.

....with a sting bag and a co-op number like 14716 ...........

My mum's number was 8747...lower!

But the she worked for the Co-Op from the age of 14...

funny how you can remember a number when you hear it every day as a
bairn

Doesn’t need to be every day either, I can still remember a couple of
phone
numbers from the time when I was in the bottom end of highschool.

you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889
9010

I remember the ice cream man coming round with his bicycle and a large
insulated box on the front.

I remember the bread and milk being
delivered by a bloke with a horse and cart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 13:15, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 12:56, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:29:30 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

with constant stomach bugs actually.

Rubbish! My mates and I were as fit as fiddles because we were not
mollycoddled. Our immune systems were well developed in spite of being
poor.

I used to like playing with worms (no, not those type!) :-)

I managed to wander around with a witchetty grub in one hand and a
piece of toast in the other and chomped on the grub instead of the
toast. |-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchetty_grub

lol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Aye, lads today don't know the joys of standing on the corner and
waiting for the smell of horse**** that signalled the bread and milk
cart was just around the corner.
They'll never embrace the heady smell of fresh bread and horse****.
Brings tears to me eyes :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889 9010

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I remember a Wall's ice cream rep coming around with a block of new formula
vanilla in a polystyrene box for us to rate because we didn't have a
'fridge.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

getting a balloon from the rag and bone man on his horse and cart for yer
ma's best scarf.....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:54, Charlie wrote:
That's my experience of the mid-fifties. In the summer my mum would stand
the unopened milk in a bucket of cold water in the outhouse but when that
got warm she would boil the milk so that it would keep longer...

Butter and milk were kept under unglazed terracotta shaped covers, which
stood in glazed dishes that were kept topped up with water. Evaporative
cooling kept them surprisingly cool.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889
9010

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

jgh

spot on.......silly me.....actually it was PAI 9010 pre STD....?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You bottled a lot of stuff because you grew far too much on the
allotment to eat while it was still fresh. You then needed a large larder
to store it all in.

Colin Bignell

good man .....bring back larders...with vents.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
Larder!? A meat-safe in a shady spot outside the back door, more like.
Basically a cupboard on legs covered in perforated zinc.
http://tinyurl.com/ouagb2h

I recall them as being hung from the ceiling in the larder.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

How racist.

call a spade a spade ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 May 2015 13:17:18 +0100, Bod wrote:

I remember the ice cream man coming round with his bicycle and a large
insulated box on the front.

Oh dear, me too :-) Also, a muffin man with a tray of muffins on his head
and a hand bell - that would have been about 1951 in Woodley, near
Reading.

Charlie.

--
Aspersions don't float.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

You bottled a lot of stuff because you grew far too much on the
allotment to eat while it was still fresh. You then needed a large
larder to store it all in.

Now we have a large freezer to store the produce (peas, beans, amongst
other things) that SWMBO grows in the garden, and cupboards to store
e.g. spuds, root veg.

We have Lidl!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 15:19, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 13:17:18 +0100, Bod wrote:

I remember the ice cream man coming round with his bicycle and a large
insulated box on the front.

Oh dear, me too :-) Also, a muffin man with a tray of muffins on his head
and a hand bell - that would have been about 1951 in Woodley, near
Reading.

Charlie.

Did you used to sing:
"have you seen the muffin man" ? :-)

I bet all of the women were first in the queue :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 May 2015 13:17:18 +0100, Bod wrote:

I remember the ice cream man coming round with his bicycle and a large
insulated box on the front.

Oh dear, me too :-) Also, a muffin man with a tray of muffins on his head
and a hand bell - that would have been about 1951 in Woodley, near
Reading.

Was it not Drury Lane ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 May 2015 15:24:01 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Was it not Drury Lane ?

No :-)

It would have been Headley Road East near the Handley Page Factory on the
aerodrome.

--
Aspersions don't float.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Didn't think 01 numbers started until much later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889
9010

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

The phone when I was a kid had no dial.
You picked up the phone and an operator said "Number please".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:13:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

That's my experience of the mid-fifties. In the summer my mum would stand
the unopened milk in a bucket of cold water in the outhouse but when that
got warm she would boil the milk so that it would keep longer.

Didn't you have a pot milk cooler?
Earthenware cover that worked by evaporation of water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 12:13, Bod wrote:
For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

I remember being sent out to buy something almost every day, at an age
when kids are probably kept indoors these days, once I had been trained
how to recognise whether things like eggs and fish were fresh.

that was in the days when hens eggs were white.......

some still are - check out the supermarket...

nobody wants white eggs as in the past brown eggs were perceived as
special...probably just a colour in the feed though .....

No, the breed of hen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Bod" wrote in message
On 06/05/2015 12:56, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:29:30 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

with constant stomach bugs actually.

Rubbish! My mates and I were as fit as fiddles because we were not
mollycoddled. Our immune systems were well developed in spite of being
poor.

I used to like playing with worms (no, not those type!) :-)

I managed to wander around with a witchetty grub in one hand and a
piece of toast in the other and chomped on the grub instead of the toast.
|-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchetty_grub

So you are an abo then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889
9010

Didn't think 01 numbers started until much later.

very true ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

when I smell Diesel fumes I think of whippy ice cream ......because the van
had a diesel genny to keep the ice cream cold and it ran all the time.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Yup, I remember that too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889
9010

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

The phone when I was a kid had no dial.
You picked up the phone and an operator said "Number please".

you are joking !

of course not. in '52 there were still over 1000 manual exchanges.

I dont know when te last one went 'strowger' or even STD...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 May 2015 16:45:54 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

The phone when I was a kid had no dial.
You picked up the phone and an operator said "Number please".

you are joking !

Ours was like that till 1963, village exchange in Devon.

The Republic of Ireland still had them in parts when I first visited
in the early 1980's .
The local switchboard where we stayed was operated by the Postman's
Wife so between them knew everything.
Rang up to book the cottage we usually stayed in but the owner replied
that he wasn't hiring it out that year as some relatives from abroad
were staying and after a brief chat hung up. Before I did so the
operator cut in "My husband knows someone who may have a place vacant
for then because they are off to America for work but they are not on
the phone he could ask tomorrow when he does the post, ring me back
here at the post office tomorrow afternoon if you are interested."
I duly did,the price was acceptable and a deal was agreed.
When on arriving we went to the post office paid our due and the
Postman took us to an immaculate bungalow which was clearly somebodys
home rather than a Holiday let. I have always had a sneaking
suspicion that perhaps the owner wasn't actually aware of the
arrangements and that the Postman and Wife were relatives or friends
who were just supposed to be keeping an eye on the place.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I found this :

The London Regions last manual exchange, at Upminster in Essex, finally
converted in 1970. The last manual exchange in mainland UK, at Abingdon
(now in Oxfordshire) closed in 1975. - See more at:
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/onli....lNMnF6yy.dpuf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 14:33, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 06/05/2015 12:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
Larder!? A meat-safe in a shady spot outside the back door, more like.
Basically a cupboard on legs covered in perforated zinc.
http://tinyurl.com/ouagb2h

I recall them as being hung from the ceiling in the larder.

I have seen the modern way a few weeks back, carrier bags hanging out of
windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 06/05/2015 14:33, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 06/05/2015 12:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
Larder!? A meat-safe in a shady spot outside the back door, more like.
Basically a cupboard on legs covered in perforated zinc.
http://tinyurl.com/ouagb2h

I recall them as being hung from the ceiling in the larder.

I have seen the modern way a few weeks back, carrier bags hanging out of
windows.

you have seen Glasgow hostels then ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes

wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
you had a phone? ..LUXURY....We didn't have one 'till '66 ....0141 889
9010

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

The phone when I was a kid had no dial.
You picked up the phone and an operator said "Number please".

you are joking !

of course not. in '52 there were still over 1000 manual exchanges.

I dont know when te last one went 'strowger' or even STD...

I used to know, but I'm afraid age has taken that from me. And when the
last Strowger exchange went electronic, ditto. My phone phreaking days
are long, long over.

In the mid/late 70s I used a call box at the interestingly named Yardley
Gobion in Northamptonshire and that was connected via the operator.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes

wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:
[...]

My dad worked at a small local exchange. As kids in the holidays, my
sister and I would creep round in the gloom to be scared by the sudden
unpredictable stepping of the Strowger switches.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have the answer, all kitchens and larders should be at the North pole when
its 24 hours sun, and the South pole when its 24 hours sun. You just move it
in a very big plane.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
Why in this age of energy conservation did they do away with vented
larders
and the daylight requirement in kitchens ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/15 12:08, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/05/15 12:04, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 11:29:42 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Why in this age of energy conservation did they do away with vented
larders
and the daylight requirement in kitchens ? .....

they dont keep goods below 5C, so food poisoning incidence is much
higher.

Very handy for vegetables though, and jars of jams, pickles etc. This
would avoid having a large fridge.

In the 1950s. you had to shop 3 times a week, because otherwise you ate
stale food and food that had gone off.

I still shop for food most days.

Yeah, the Turks still do here. Mad IMO.

I normally do it weekly, after the garage sale run when
there are hardly any in the supermarket. Main downside
is that one of the supermarkets doesnt open the self
checkouts that early, usually around 8am, and sometimes
the iceberg lettuce hasnt been put out yet in that supermarket.

They open at 7am and appear to have bugger all staff on early.

The tinned and frozen foods are reserves, in case, for some reason, I find
I can't shop for fresh food.

I eat frozen most of the time, sometimes fresh
on the day of the weekly shop. I do make my
own bread tho so that is fresh every 4 days.

And I make some of the other stuff I use a lot of like
the marmalade, relish, beer, spirits etc so only need
to get the ingredients for those in a major shop when
doing the major production. Do the marmalade every
two years and pick the limes myself.

In the 1950s, you ate a lot of tinned and bottled food and preserves,
because they didn't go off.

You bottled a lot of stuff because you grew far too much on the allotment
to eat while it was still fresh.

A couple of what used to be called maiden aunts of
mine used to do that. We did it a bit, but they did it
all the time. We didnt have allotments, the bulk of
it was grown in the backyard, and one of the maiden
aunt's family was into showing up at the commercial
fruit growers and picking the stuff there very cheaply.

You then needed a large larder to store it all in.

Theirs was just a large cupboard, but
then there were only the two of them.