Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Energy conservation ...

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:13:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

For a start, we had fresh milk delivered everyday and people didn't
normally stock up with a week's or month's supply of perishable foods,
like we tend to today. I remember mum shopping every few days for
something or other.

That's my experience of the mid-fifties. In the summer my mum would stand
the unopened milk in a bucket of cold water in the outhouse but when that
got warm she would boil the milk so that it would keep longer.

Didn't you have a pot milk cooler?
Earthenware cover that worked by evaporation of water.