Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Energy conservation ...

On Wed, 6 May 2015 16:45:54 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

In 1966 it would have been 041 889 9010. I remember my grandma's phone
number that went from 62115 to 662115 to 2662115.

The phone when I was a kid had no dial.
You picked up the phone and an operator said "Number please".

you are joking !

Ours was like that till 1963, village exchange in Devon.

The Republic of Ireland still had them in parts when I first visited
in the early 1980's .
The local switchboard where we stayed was operated by the Postman's
Wife so between them knew everything.
Rang up to book the cottage we usually stayed in but the owner replied
that he wasn't hiring it out that year as some relatives from abroad
were staying and after a brief chat hung up. Before I did so the
operator cut in "My husband knows someone who may have a place vacant
for then because they are off to America for work but they are not on
the phone he could ask tomorrow when he does the post, ring me back
here at the post office tomorrow afternoon if you are interested."
I duly did,the price was acceptable and a deal was agreed.
When on arriving we went to the post office paid our due and the
Postman took us to an immaculate bungalow which was clearly somebodys
home rather than a Holiday let. I have always had a sneaking
suspicion that perhaps the owner wasn't actually aware of the
arrangements and that the Postman and Wife were relatives or friends
who were just supposed to be keeping an eye on the place.

G.Harman