Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing a rad to thin air

Gentlemen,

I slightly exaggerate, but not by much.
I have to hang a rad to that lino-esque stuff you find more and more used
in bathrooms these days. I *think* it's called panelboard. Anyway, it's
about 12mm thick ply with a waterproof decorative veneer on top; comes in
large sheets you just stick to the walls with qik-grab-goo IIRC.
Anyway, where I have to fix this rad, there's no actual wall of any
description behind the mounting points, so this panelling will have to
bear the weight by itself. Fortunately this isn't a big or heavy rad
(only around 20lb I would guess).
What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

cheers,
cd.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2015 19:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I slightly exaggerate, but not by much.
I have to hang a rad to that lino-esque stuff you find more and more used
in bathrooms these days. I *think* it's called panelboard. Anyway, it's
about 12mm thick ply with a waterproof decorative veneer on top; comes in
large sheets you just stick to the walls with qik-grab-goo IIRC.
Anyway, where I have to fix this rad, there's no actual wall of any
description behind the mounting points, so this panelling will have to
bear the weight by itself. Fortunately this isn't a big or heavy rad
(only around 20lb I would guess).
What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

cheers,
cd.

Toggle screws

--
Eednud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2015 20:02, Eednud wrote:
On 05/05/2015 19:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I slightly exaggerate, but not by much.
I have to hang a rad to that lino-esque stuff you find more and more used
in bathrooms these days. I *think* it's called panelboard. Anyway, it's
about 12mm thick ply with a waterproof decorative veneer on top; comes in
large sheets you just stick to the walls with qik-grab-goo IIRC.
Anyway, where I have to fix this rad, there's no actual wall of any
description behind the mounting points, so this panelling will have to
bear the weight by itself. Fortunately this isn't a big or heavy rad
(only around 20lb I would guess).
What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

cheers,
cd.

Toggle screws

Just ordinary chipboard screws should be fine in 12mm ply. Or, yes,
toggle bolts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2015 19:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I slightly exaggerate, but not by much.
I have to hang a rad to that lino-esque stuff you find more and more used
in bathrooms these days. I *think* it's called panelboard. Anyway, it's
about 12mm thick ply with a waterproof decorative veneer on top; comes in
large sheets you just stick to the walls with qik-grab-goo IIRC.
Anyway, where I have to fix this rad, there's no actual wall of any
description behind the mounting points, so this panelling will have to
bear the weight by itself. Fortunately this isn't a big or heavy rad
(only around 20lb I would guess).
What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

You may get a decent screw fixing into the the ply - so I would try that
first. Failing that, hollow wall anchors (which are way better than
toggle bolts IMO)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/15 19:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I slightly exaggerate, but not by much.
I have to hang a rad to that lino-esque stuff you find more and more used
in bathrooms these days. I *think* it's called panelboard. Anyway, it's
about 12mm thick ply with a waterproof decorative veneer on top; comes in
large sheets you just stick to the walls with qik-grab-goo IIRC.
Anyway, where I have to fix this rad, there's no actual wall of any
description behind the mounting points, so this panelling will have to
bear the weight by itself. Fortunately this isn't a big or heavy rad
(only around 20lb I would guess).
What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

cheers,
cd.

Should be similar in strength to plasterboard if if is 12mm.

What about:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

If the panel itself is strong enough, those will get a very solid fixing
in it.

Another option - a bit of 18mm WBP ply spanning the studs and fix to that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:16 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

What about:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

I don't see these helping; I've no access to the rear of the panel!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/15 21:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:16 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

What about:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

I don't see these helping; I've no access to the rear of the panel!

And nor do you need any - have another look!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 May 2015 20:32:42 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

You may get a decent screw fixing into the the ply - so I would try that
first. Failing that, hollow wall anchors (which are way better than
toggle bolts IMO)

Sold! I just happen to have a pack of those, too. I'd quite forgotten!
Thanks, John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 May 2015 21:50:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/05/15 21:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:16 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

What about:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

I don't see these helping; I've no access to the rear of the panel!

And nor do you need any - have another look!

Oh. I see. I think. Bet they're expensive, though!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 05/05/2015 21:08, Tim Watts wrote:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

Not seen these before but the installation instructions raised a wee smile

"With a small screwdriver, rotate both locking arm shafts in a CLOCKWISE
direction for approximately 124 degrees......... "

--
CB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/15 22:55, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 21:50:32 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/05/15 21:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 21:08:16 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

What about:

http://gripitfixings.co.uk/

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

I don't see these helping; I've no access to the rear of the panel!

And nor do you need any - have another look!

Oh. I see. I think. Bet they're expensive, though!

Not too bad. And you need 4 (ie a packet) - small price compared to the
rad (unless you got that free).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 May 2015 18:49:38 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

I recently came across these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/spit-driva...k-of-100/11923
(or similar) and found them useful and easy to fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

I recently came across these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/spit-driva...k-of-100/11923
(or similar) and found them useful and easy to fix.

they certainly are .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

I recently came across these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/spit-driva...k-of-100/11923
(or similar) and found them useful and easy to fix.

they certainly are .....

I would not hang 20kg of radiator on those.