Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thin Set

This stuff is driving me crazy! I can't level it out as it sticks to the
trowel. I'm trying to smooth out some floors with it. Is there any way I
can get it to stop sticking to the trowel and get a smooth surface?
Thanks.

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am no expert, but just finished my first tiling project ever...had similar
problem and was advised to put "skim coat" of thin set.....you can not get
it real good, but you can get close... when dry take a brick and work it
back and forth to level better.....worked well for me...got answers from
johnbridge.com forums.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:29*am, Mike Dobony wrote:
This stuff is driving me crazy! *I can't level it out as it sticks to the
trowel. *I'm trying to smooth out some floors with it. *Is there any way I
can get it to stop sticking to the trowel and get a smooth surface?
Thanks.

Mike D.

Thin set which isn't sticky wouldn't do much good, as it is made to
bond tile down.

Not a good choice for leveling a floor. Get some floor leveler
instead.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 11:29*am, Mike Dobony wrote:
This stuff is driving me crazy! *I can't level it out as it sticks to the
trowel. *I'm trying to smooth out some floors with it. *Is there any way I
can get it to stop sticking to the trowel and get a smooth surface?

I don't understand your task but you could try dipping it in a bucket
of water. Keep it clean and wet, see how that works.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
This stuff is driving me crazy! I can't level it out as it sticks to the
trowel. I'm trying to smooth out some floors with it. Is there any way I
can get it to stop sticking to the trowel and get a smooth surface?
Thanks.

Mike D.

If you're trying to level areas use self-leveling cement. If you're
trying to set tile with thinset use a notched trowel.

Boden

Thin Wall [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 22nd 07 01:05 AM
pre-mix thin-set vs. bag Gntry Home Repair 2 November 4th 05 05:43 AM
Concrete - How thin can I go . . . Steve DeMars Woodworking 13 August 3rd 05 02:17 AM
Best thin insulation Bedouin UK diy 19 March 17th 05 09:48 AM
Thin wood (p.a.r.!) TonyJeffs UK diy 1 August 14th 03 02:15 PM