Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coal delivery and elfin safety

Lobster wrote:
We had a coal delivery today - our normal 3 x 50kg sacks.

As usual, it arrived on a flatbed truck, driven by one guy, who lugged each
bag on his back round to the back of our house and deposited it in the
bunker.

Poor bugger looked absolutely knackered; I was wondering - isn't that sort
of lifting way outside the current elfin safety guidelines? It's a well-
known, long established firm,so I'd be surprised if they just brazenly
flouted the rules, but...?

Our coal delivery man always does 5 x 50kg and seems to find it fairly
easy. He does have everything neatly set up for it though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 12:46:24 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , AnthonyL
writes

The guy is very average size - 5'8" and not particularly big with it.
He just trundles along and only complains about the traffic.

I bet he was over 6' when he started the job . . . . boom-tishhhh!

Seriously, I don't think they could make coal deliveries pay if they
didn't humph them on their backs, they'd spend far too long on site and
I'm betting your guy does those drops in less than five mins and is
gone.

I think it took him 8 mins. He doesn't rush. A new guy came a couple
of months back and tried a trolley with 2 bags on it. He carried the
rest in standard fashion. He was about 6'2", young and fit so no
doubt he'll end up 5'8" in a few years.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 3 April 2015 09:16:07 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

Such houses would have been built with coal-cellars having a
coal-hole in the pavement.

And there are people going around photographing and documenting
those coal hole covers as well

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janepb...7607753988900/

If they were really low-class houses with no coal-cellar then the occupants probably
tolerated coal-dust in the hall.

If they were relatively poor then they probably only bought their coal
in small quantities in any case as they mightn't have enough spare
cash to buy more. Quite possibly they had their own small sacks which
they got filled at the shop on the corner and wheeled home in an
old pram.

And if they lived in a back-to-back then maybe keeping coal in
an old(tin) bath isn't myth

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-03, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 12:46:24 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , AnthonyL
writes

The guy is very average size - 5'8" and not particularly big with it.
He just trundles along and only complains about the traffic.

I bet he was over 6' when he started the job . . . . boom-tishhhh!

Seriously, I don't think they could make coal deliveries pay if they
didn't humph them on their backs, they'd spend far too long on site and
I'm betting your guy does those drops in less than five mins and is
gone.

I think it took him 8 mins. He doesn't rush. A new guy came a couple
of months back and tried a trolley with 2 bags on it. He carried the
rest in standard fashion. He was about 6'2", young and fit so no
doubt he'll end up 5'8" in a few years.

The bloke who delivers our 47kg butane bottles (that's the weight of
the gas - the tare weight of the bottle is on top of that) lifts them
off the lorry and carries them round the back by hand. I can't even pick
them up - I use a sack barrow to move them.

I visited a mountain hut in Czechoslovakia where those gas cylinders
were carried up on a young man's back. I saw him taking a steep shortcut
up the mountainside rather than using the path. Oh, and he had *two* of
them.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

Quite possibly they had their own small sacks which
they got filled at the shop on the corner and wheeled home in an
old pram.

Especially if there was a sale on

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sate...pper%2FWrapper

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

I visited a mountain hut in Czechoslovakia where those gas cylinders were carried up on
a young man's back. I saw him taking a steep shortcut up the mountainside rather than
using the path. Oh, and he had *two* of them.

Kid's stuff.

http://www.investwithalex.com/wp-con...stwithalex.jpg

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my old dad worked in pit, we had a ton of coal delivered and dumped on
the road, then it was tin bath and hump it all to coal house.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 21:05:27 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 01/04/2015 20:31, Lobster wrote:
We had a coal delivery today - our normal 3 x 50kg sacks.

As usual, it arrived on a flatbed truck, driven by one guy, who lugged each
bag on his back round to the back of our house and deposited it in the
bunker.

Poor bugger looked absolutely knackered; I was wondering

Dunno. It's how we always got our coal when I was a kid. And they were 1
cwt bags - which were slightly heavier than 50 Kg!

Probably one of the reasons that not so long ago when Men retired at
65 a good number didn't live much longer anyway.
And of those who did many could not enjoy a reasonably comfortable
retirement due to back/neck pain and other joint problems.
Before Hip joint replacement surgery was developed in the early
1960's people just had to live with the pain and the debilitation
damaged joints caused.
Wasn't just Coalmen, many other jobs now done with powered assistance
such as digging building foundations were done by men wearing
themselves out.

G.Harman

Elfin Safety... Mike Tomlinson UK diy 49 May 13th 13 08:39 PM
Elfin safety again TMC[_2_] UK diy 9 October 6th 10 12:13 AM
Elfin Safety N_Cook Electronics Repair 10 January 17th 10 11:43 PM
Elfin safety at B&Q bilbo*baggins UK diy 70 November 11th 08 08:13 AM
Delivery Notification: Delivery has been successful PMDF e-Mail Interconnect UK diy 0 December 12th 03 04:25 AM