Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Ping Bill Wright SIG 8008

I spent this morning with a BT engineer looking for the cause of 100
apartments with poor Broadband speed. We identified the culprit as a Compact
Line SIG 8008 on the 14th floor.

With power on to the 8008 the flats get ~880K speed, with power off to it
they get 5Mb.

Is this likely to be just a faulty 8008 and a straight swap (or a swap for
something similar) or should I now just pass this on to a pro in aerials?

--
Adam

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:45:58 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

I spent this morning with a BT engineer looking for the cause of 100
apartments with poor Broadband speed. We identified the culprit as a Compact
Line SIG 8008 on the 14th floor.

With power on to the 8008 the flats get ~880K speed, with power off to it
they get 5Mb.

Is this likely to be just a faulty 8008 and a straight swap (or a swap for
something similar) or should I now just pass this on to a pro in aerials?

--
Adam

Well done for finding it, what gear was used to track it down?

http://files.revoz.webnode.cz/200001...%20SIG8008.pdf

It probebly has a SMPS in it that's squegging like a good'n. I
wouldn't fancy the chances of LW/MW radio reception anywhere near it
either.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
I spent this morning with a BT engineer looking for the cause of 100
apartments with poor Broadband speed. We identified the culprit as a
Compact
Line SIG 8008 on the 14th floor.

With power on to the 8008 the flats get ~880K speed, with power off to it
they get 5Mb.

Is this likely to be just a faulty 8008 and a straight swap (or a swap for
something similar) or should I now just pass this on to a pro in aerials?

I don't like them things. I took over a contract where someone had used
one at every institution and I had a lot of bother with them. They're
all ripped out now. I've never had one generating that much RF though,
so I guess the one you have is faulty.

You can't really replace it without an analyser to check levels, c/n, etc.

We normally replaced them with a preamp followed by a passive filters
followed by a power amp.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
[...]

Ta. I'll leave it to the pros.

And you have worked for this company. Your name was stamped on the TV stuff
at another property owned by this firm.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

Ta. I'll leave it to the pros.

Ring our Paul then.

And you have worked for this company. Your name was stamped on the TV
stuff at another property owned by this firm.

Yes, I'm not surprised. Although last year I got a call from a
maintenance guy who'd got the number off a label on a head-end. I was
vaguely surprised because I'd never set foot at that place. When we saw
the gear we recognised it as items that had been 'scrapped' by a firm
called in by the Head Office (London) of a very large nation-wide
organisation to 'convert all the systems for digital'. (This despite the
fact that we'd done this several years before and no work was
necessary.) These cowboys had removed all our channelised head-end
equipment (including VSB modulators) and fitted simple wideband amps
with no filters of any kind. In other words, they'd removed £2,000
worth, fitted £200 worth, and charged a mint. Then they'd used some of
the gear they'd nicked on other jobs, without even bothering to remove
the labels.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

I spent this morning with a BT engineer looking for the cause of 100
apartments with poor Broadband speed. We identified the culprit as a
Compact
Line SIG 8008 on the 14th floor.

With power on to the 8008 the flats get ~880K speed, with power off to it
they get 5Mb.

Is this likely to be just a faulty 8008 and a straight swap (or a swap for
something similar) or should I now just pass this on to a pro in aerials?

--
Adam

Well done for finding it, what gear was used to track it down?

Dunno. The BT guy had the "wand" that buzzed:-) But the real gear was the
brains of two people working together in a building that we were unfamiliar
with.

My job was to isolate electrical equipment when requested. A nice job as
this is a 15 storey building that I have only been to 3 times and I really
have no idea know where stuff is.

--
Adam

PING Bill Wright - interference or TV fault? Steve[_68_] UK diy 6 April 5th 14 08:31 PM
Ping Bill Wright Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 26 March 23rd 14 09:49 AM
PING Bill Wright: aerial mast to concrete post Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 14 September 18th 13 10:46 PM
FAO Bill Wright F[_2_] UK diy 3 May 20th 13 04:22 PM
Ping Bill Wright ... Arfa Daily UK diy 5 May 2nd 13 03:50 AM