Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping Bill Wright

I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance
among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

Impending lodger!
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance
among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

go to Maplins, buy a 6dB attenuator, plug it into the feed to any existing
set. If you still get good results then it should be OK to split, if not
replace the 4 outlet amplifier with a 6 outlet one,

Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance
among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

go to Maplins, buy a 6dB attenuator, plug it into the feed to any existing
set. If you still get good results then it should be OK to split, if not
replace the 4 outlet amplifier with a 6 outlet one,

Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Shush!
Might be few weeks only anyway.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/14 09:47, Tim Lamb wrote:
I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance
among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

very likely actually with a proper resistive splitter.

Or even without..

Impending lodger!

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/14 11:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Adopt them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, rather than buying an attenuator, then having to go out and buy a
splitter, why not just by a splitter and see what happens?

A passive splitter of the inductive kind should not be affected if no set
is connected to the other output, as far as I can recall.
Modern sets are pretty good and in the end its the signal quality that
matters, not so much the strength on digital sources.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance
among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

go to Maplins, buy a 6dB attenuator, plug it into the feed to any existing
set. If you still get good results then it should be OK to split, if not
replace the 4 outlet amplifier with a 6 outlet one,

Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Shush!
Might be few weeks only anyway.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There was some case a while back along the lines of a Foster carer of a
young youth was taken to court over this issue as they had their own tv. I
do not know what the age limits are either, but It sounds a bit mean to me.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 17/03/14 11:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Adopt them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always found the inductive ones better than the resistive ones myself.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 17/03/14 09:47, Tim Lamb wrote:
I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance
among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

very likely actually with a proper resistive splitter.

Or even without..

Impending lodger!

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get
away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a
5th. load?

Just fit a splitter on the shortest existing feed.

CPC:

AP00090 (uses belling plugs)
AP02109 (uses f plugs)
AP02104 (uses f plugs)

Given that you have an amp with gain to each output it's highly unlikely
the 4dB loss will make any difference.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles put finger to keyboard:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Nope.

Lodgers who rent a bedroom and share the rest of the house are covered by
the main TV licence. (This would also apply to a group of friends renting
a property together.)

Tenants who have exclusive access to their own domain would need a
separate TV licence.

It is important when taking a lodger to ensure they don't put a lock on
their bedroom door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scion wrote:
charles put finger to keyboard:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Nope.

Lodgers who rent a bedroom and share the rest of the house are covered
by the main TV licence. (This would also apply to a group of friends
renting a property together.)

Tenants who have exclusive access to their own domain would need a
separate TV licence.

It is important when taking a lodger to ensure they don't put a lock on
their bedroom door.

ISTR in a posh house, servants who lived in were covered by the house
licence. The gardener living in the gate house, not. ;-)

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to
get away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to
supply a 5th. load?

Just fit a splitter on the shortest existing feed.

CPC:

AP00090 (uses belling plugs)
AP02109 (uses f plugs)
AP02104 (uses f plugs)

Given that you have an amp with gain to each output it's highly
unlikely the 4dB loss will make any difference.

Unfortunately, the nearest cable is also the longest. Probably about
25m! I have a distant recollection that attenuators were fitted to the
amp o/ps during the original installation but no idea why.

Ordering from CPC invites another deluge of catalogues:-)

Thanks.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Unfortunately, the nearest cable is also the longest.

I assumed you would run the new cable back to a point near the amp.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 17/03/14 11:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Adopt them?

Or get a lodger who is over 75 and claim your free license.

No good having Brian as a lodger as he only gets a 50% discount to watch
nothing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 17/03/14 11:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Impending lodger!

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the
house facilities with the family?

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Adopt them?

Or get a lodger who is over 75 and claim your free license.

5 more years and I'll have my own:-(

No good having Brian as a lodger as he only gets a 50% discount to
watch nothing.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Unfortunately, the nearest cable is also the longest.

I assumed you would run the new cable back to a point near the amp.

Not impossible but a job for a younger person. Much easier before the
loft insulation was topped up.

Splitters look to be cheap enough to buy and try.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:54:56 -0000, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

There was some case a while back along the lines of a Foster carer of a
young youth was taken to court over this issue as they had their own tv. I
do not know what the age limits are either, but It sounds a bit mean to me.
Brian

I think you will find that it is only if you live in self contained
accommodation that you need a separate licence - so I find the foster child
story very hard to believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Splitters look to be cheap enough to buy and try.

Yes, go for it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Splitters look to be cheap enough to buy and try.

Yes, go for it.

OK.

On further investigation there is one amplifier output which only feeds
a rarely used FM receiver. If the splitter trial fails I could move the
splitter back to the amplifier and follow your original *new cable*
advice.

Now who supplies 75 ohm cable in less than 100m lengths?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 March 2014 20:41:38 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Bill Wright writes Tim Lamb wrote: Splitters look to be cheap enough to buy and try. Yes, go for it. OK. On further investigation there is one amplifier output which only feeds a rarely used FM receiver. If the splitter trial fails I could move the splitter back to the amplifier and follow your original *new cable* advice. Now who supplies 75 ohm cable in less than 100m lengths? -- Tim Lamb

I could do you some that's been hard annealed by mermaids in oxegen free conditions - £50 /foot - I could even paint some arrows on the outside for an extra £10 / foot 1:^*))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message ,
writes
On Tuesday, 18 March 2014 20:41:38 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes Tim Lamb wrote: Splitters look to be
cheap enough to buy and try. Yes, go for it. OK. On further
investigation there is one amplifier output which only feeds a rarely
used FM receiver. If the splitter trial fails I could move the
splitter back to the amplifier and follow your original *new cable*
advice. Now who supplies 75 ohm cable in less than 100m lengths? -- Tim Lamb

I am pleased to report that an AP00090 splitter fed two Samsung flat
screen TVs without noticeable problems at the end of the existing cable
(est. 25m)

Thanks Bill.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Now who supplies 75 ohm cable in less than 100m lengths?

ATV Sheffield (mail order)

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Now who supplies 75 ohm cable in less than 100m lengths?

ATV Sheffield (mail order)

OK Bill.

I think I am down to lengths available from the sheds.

--
Tim Lamb

PING Bill Wright: aerial mast to concrete post Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 14 September 18th 13 10:46 PM
Aerial Connections (Bill Wright) DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 38 July 24th 13 01:03 PM
FAO Bill Wright F[_2_] UK diy 3 May 20th 13 04:22 PM
Ping Bill Wright ... Arfa Daily UK diy 5 May 2nd 13 03:50 AM
Russian aerial for Bill Wright Terry Casey UK diy 7 November 15th 12 03:53 PM