Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PING Bill Wright - interference or TV fault?

Our five-year old Panasonic TH-42PX80BA plasma telly has, just this
morning, started showing 'moving sparkly lines' (crap description, I
apologise) and I was wondering if it's likely to be interference of
some sort or the TV itself going faulty.

We have a Sky+HD box connected (though we don't subscribe to the HD
service) via HDMI and the lines are visible both when viewing through
the Sky box or when using the TVs own internal Freeview tuner.

We have a coax taken from the Sky box's RF2 output to two other TVs in
the house (so that they can either use their own tuners or watch what
the Sky box is showing) and the lines are *not* visible on either of
those TVs, either via Sky or Freeview - only the main TV (which is in
the living room) is affected.

The following two photos show the lines quite clearly. I paused the Sky
box for clarity but the lines were still moving even with the picture
on pause:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/darkdoo/013.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/darkdoo/014.jpg

Any ideas? We're in Preston, Lancs - Granada Region, Winter Hill
transmitter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

Our five-year old Panasonic TH-42PX80BA plasma telly has, just this
morning, started showing 'moving sparkly lines'

The photos look nothing like the interference you'd get from DVB-T or
DVB-S, my first though was a loose HDMI connector, but you seem to have
eliminated that by using the internal tuner, I's say the problem is with
the display circuitry of the TV, you could try a different source such
as VGA in from a PC or scart/composite but I suspect it'd have the same
fault.

If percussive maintenance has any effect on the lines I'd look for a dry
joint or loose connector inside if you fancy having a go yourself
(assuming it's out of warranty by 5 years old).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :
Steve wrote:

Our five-year old Panasonic TH-42PX80BA plasma telly has, just this
morning, started showing 'moving sparkly lines'

The photos look nothing like the interference you'd get from DVB-T or DVB-S,
my first though was a loose HDMI connector, but you seem to have eliminated
that by using the internal tuner, I's say the problem is with the display
circuitry of the TV, you could try a different source such as VGA in from a
PC or scart/composite but I suspect it'd have the same fault.

If percussive maintenance has any effect on the lines I'd look for a dry
joint or loose connector inside if you fancy having a go yourself (assuming
it's out of warranty by 5 years old).

Thanks for that quick reply Andy. I'll give the percussive maintenance
a go, but if no joy I'll hunt out the paperwork because I'm sure it's
somewhere around 5 years old - but we took out a 5-year warranty as
well when we bought it from Richer Sounds. I'll probably find that the
warranty ran out last month but hey-ho, worth a try. Thanks again sir
:')

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2014 17:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Steve wrote:

Our five-year old Panasonic TH-42PX80BA plasma telly has, just this
morning, started showing 'moving sparkly lines'

The photos look nothing like the interference you'd get from DVB-T or
DVB-S, my first though was a loose HDMI connector, but you seem to have
eliminated that by using the internal tuner, I's say the problem is with
the display circuitry of the TV, you could try a different source such
as VGA in from a PC or scart/composite but I suspect it'd have the same
fault.

It looks as if the faulty lines have been shifted to the left by 64
(ish) pixel positions. The white lines come from the shirt and badge.
The light blue displaced lines fit the channel logo

Possible a line sync problem or maybe a 50Hz source and 60Hz display, or
visa-versa.

Try turning the TV off at the mains plug rather than putting it just
into standby. This sometime resets crashed software/firmware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan expressed precisely :
Steve wrote:

[...]

Ok Alan, worth a try - thanks very much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 16:59:42 +0100, Steve wrote:

The following two photos show the lines quite clearly. I paused the Sky
box for clarity but the lines were still moving even with the picture
on pause:

So they are not on the recording or incoming data stream. I'd reseat
all the cables, especially if they haven't been disturbed for a while
(while 1 year). Though as you also say that the internal freeview
receiver also exhibits the problem I don't hold out much hope of an
external cable fault.

The full power down of the TV and all other boxes/TV's connected
might cure it. HDMI works well but is rather too clever at times and
can get confused. I had and audio L/R swap that I couldn't clear
without a full power down of everything, I might even have had to
unplug everything, power cycle each unit then plug everything back
together.

As a last resort you could try a factory reset.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Our five-year old Panasonic TH-42PX80BA plasma telly has, just this morning, started
showing 'moving sparkly lines' (crap description, I apologise) and I was wondering if
it's likely to be interference of some sort or the TV itself going faulty.

The simplest way to eliminate interference would be to try
an external source DVD etc. , using a known good lead, be it
HDMI, SCART or whatever. If you get the same fault showing up
on the DVD then it's the set. Otherwise not.

The output of the internal Freeview tuner is still dependant
on the cable which is feeding it and so different sets
connected using different cables might not exhibit the
same fault, even if connected to the same source.

michael adams

Ping Bill Wright Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 26 March 23rd 14 09:49 AM
PING Bill Wright: aerial mast to concrete post Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 14 September 18th 13 10:46 PM
FAO Bill Wright F[_2_] UK diy 3 May 20th 13 04:22 PM
Ping Bill Wright ... Arfa Daily UK diy 5 May 2nd 13 03:50 AM
Russian aerial for Bill Wright Terry Casey UK diy 7 November 15th 12 03:53 PM