Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone mended an Insinkerator Boiling Water Tap?

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message news:...

"Capitol" wrote in message
news:tb6dnY0Ej_oCgEfJnZ2dnUVZ8r6dnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
Insinkerator 'under sink' boiling tank and tap above that provides
filtered cold, and boiling hot water for tea making etc. JUST out of
warranty the tap part has started to let by. Cold mains enters the
brushed stainless steel tap unit, which at the press of one of two
levers either puts cold through a filter to the spout, or cold into the
hot tank to displace boiling through the spout.

Hot tap has started 'letting by' to quite an extent so it's had to be
turned off. Bumph that came with it says operate it back and forth 8-10
times to clear any muck from the seal - no effect

Manufacturer claims it's a sealed unit - replacement approx £299
!!!!!!!!!!!! and that's just the tap unit !

Andrew

AIUI, short life is a feature of Insinkerator units. Whatwas the warranty
period?

2 years

Follow Up in case any hapless fellow with similar problems finds this in the
future :

Insinkerator no real help in support, claiming tap unit is a 'sealed unit' .
At nearly £300 for a replacement I decided that if it was put together by
man, then surely this man could pull it apart

Sure enough, looking very carefully at the ring surrounding the operating
levers, it has just a faint hex shape milled into it @ 19 mm A/F. Very
careful application of a spanner with sharp edges allowed me to unscrew it
and remove the lever & pivot, and a shroud that determines the position of
the lever pivot. This reveals the head of a white plastic 'mushroom' shape
that proved to be a tiny spool valve - the mushroom pulls out and is
attached to the end of the spool. The mushroom head rests on a compression
spring pushing it up into the 'open' state, but with the lever in position
and at rest it is closed.

Two microscopic 'o rings' on the spool - should be changed but as I didn't
have any I just cleaned everything up, and re-assembled - so far so good
Bit of a b****r getting the screwed collar back on as the spring has to be
compressed.

Early days, but I think it's fixed for now.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andrew Mawson, Freddie wrote:
Hi Andrew , Thanks for taking the trouble to highlight the typical corporate
stitchups ,and of course the remedy which I followed almost to a T but only
got to the nylon Mushroom cap and then decided to free that with WD40 and a
silicon release agent by rocol. Now I foolishly followed a orevious chaps
advice and done it with the water still on and youve guessed it went of f like
a geyser,had to quickly remove the Filter,any way compressing the piston
repeatedly for a few minutes freed up the valve then I rebuilt it ,noting the
shim under the lever assembly,I replaced the valve with a 19mm multi point
socket first inserting it and turning anti c/w tilI felt it drop in then
reversed turn to cw , no swearing here.
Kind regards Freddie of Thrapston UK

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...p-1025396-.htm