Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default KVM power supply.

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:
En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News)
escribió:

Measured at just over 4v.

Wall wart says 5.3v and 2.4 amps, and by the weight/size is an SMPS.

Using my bench top 5v 3 amp supply it works normally.

A new wall wart from Aten is 35 quid plus. ;-)

It'll be the output cap. Crack it open (it'll almost certainly be
welded shut. You can crack the seams carefully by squeezing them in a
vice) and replace the cap. Use a good quality 105 degC replacement.

Needs to be low ESR type for switched mode PSU output smoothing.

Reassemble case with superglue.

Total cost about 50p.

The caps fail due to heat build-up in the case and no ventilation.

I'll +1 on that.

OTOH, if you just want a new one, does your bench supply say how much
current it really draws? CPC have a good selection of switched mode
wall wart PSUs, although 3A is going a bit higher than the cheaper
ones will be rated for, hence wondering if the KVM really draws that
much (15W).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

3A is going a bit higher than the cheaper ones will be rated for,
hence wondering if the KVM really draws that much (15W).

The KVM also acts as a powered USB hub for sharing peripherals to the
connected PCs, so max consumption could be higher if using it like that,
that just for switching keyboard, video and audio.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
escribió:

Measured at just over 4v.

Wall wart says 5.3v and 2.4 amps, and by the weight/size is an SMPS.

Using my bench top 5v 3 amp supply it works normally.

A new wall wart from Aten is 35 quid plus. ;-)

It'll be the output cap. Crack it open (it'll almost certainly be
welded shut. You can crack the seams carefully by squeezing them in a
vice) and replace the cap. Use a good quality 105 degC replacement.

It was to be plan B if I couldn't find a reasonably priced replacement.

So I've done just that but had to cut it open.

Needs to be low ESR type for switched mode PSU output smoothing.

Yup.

Reassemble case with superglue.

Total cost about 50p.

The caps fail due to heat build-up in the case and no ventilation.

I'll +1 on that.

OTOH, if you just want a new one, does your bench supply say how much
current it really draws? CPC have a good selection of switched mode
wall wart PSUs, although 3A is going a bit higher than the cheaper
ones will be rated for, hence wondering if the KVM really draws that
much (15W).

It's actually a home made fixed 5v 3 amp supply - with no metering. But I
can check later what the current draw is. Although might there be a
difference between peak and average?

Having opened up the case and found the usual bulging cap, I might just
put the guts back in a bigger case with some ventilation after repair - it
doesn't have to be a wall wart here.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
The KVM also acts as a powered USB hub for sharing peripherals to the
connected PCs, so max consumption could be higher if using it like that,
that just for switching keyboard, video and audio.

It's a PS2 type - not USB. As one of the computers is an old Acorn. No USB.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:40:37 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
escribió:

[...]

just drill a bunch of 2-3mm holes in it