Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall-mounted toilet frames.

I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote

I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight
on the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.

Yeah, I much prefer to have it cantilevered so you can just sweep under it
etc.

Does any one know of one designed to take its weight
(and that of toilet and user) through wall brackets?

I have a couple that are a U shape that have one of the
sides of the U that goes on the floor under the tiled floor.

But they are more than 40 years old now and in
a different country so that doesn’t help you much.

Or do I have to consider making my
own brackets out of steel angle?

I'd do it out of rhs myself if I had to make one.

That's the way I did the very long kitchen bench
that is cantilevered off the wall, with the stuff like
dishwashers and bar fridge sized freezers that slide
in under that. 38mm RHS in a L that is dynabolted
to the block wall behind that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:04:47 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Are you thinking this idea through? There's a good reason these things
bear weight on the floor. One of these reasons is people with fat arses.
You haven't considered that, right? Imagine your contraption's been
working great for years and you've forgotten about any concerns you may
have had, when one day a guest of yours who weighs 22st uses your loo and
brings the house down in the process. Imagine it's your boss. Imagine him
sitting there covered in dust and rubble with his pants down to his
ankles, dazed and confused, wondering WTF happened. Do you think you'll
still have your job the next day?
I'll bet you never thought of that, but some of us here have been in this
position before and it makes us very circumspect about taking risks with
untried designs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2014 21:08, cd wrote:
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:04:47 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Are you thinking this idea through?

You might not have but Others have.

A google of wall mounted toilet gets nearly 2 million hits.

The brackets for these are specifically designed for lard arses.

For avoidance of any doubt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16WXu5E4ahM

I have no connection with this company. There are others proffering
similar products.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

what do you mean by bear weight on the floor?

wall mounted systems are definitely available, my sister' new build flat has
one, but ultimately the weight has to transfer to the floor somehow

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2014 20:04, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Most of these are designed to install, and then the wall be built in
front of them. So they carry weight to the floor - but behind the wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

what do you mean by bear weight on the floor?

wall mounted systems are definitely available, my sister' new build flat has
one, but ultimately the weight has to transfer to the floor somehow

tim

That's the point. It doesn't. Consider a picture hung on the wall.
The weight is borne by the foundations.

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 21/12/2014 20:04, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Most of these are designed to install, and then the wall be built in
front of them. So they carry weight to the floor - but behind the wall.

That indeed is what I have discovered. Has anyone seen them mounted
only on the wall?

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:08:10 +0000, cd wrote:

[...]

I agree with the above.
I stayed at a hotel in London a few years ago and there was a wall
mounted bog.
At a mere 18 stone the bog still had a bit of 'give' when sat upon and
this didn't present for a relaxing evacuation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

--
Roger Hayter

You can get wall hung WCs, (Google wall+hung+WC) they use them in hospitals
for hygene reasons so the floors can be easily cleaned.
But you need a very strong wall. On some metal brackets have to be built in.
And they need to be load tested afterwards (before the WC is fitted.)

If your floor is so weak it needs working on, it will be unsafe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:

[...]

All good points, but the situation I am dealing wiith is that the wall
is considerably stronger than the floor.

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:

On 21/12/2014 21:08, cd wrote:
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:04:47 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Are you thinking this idea through?

You might not have but Others have.

A google of wall mounted toilet gets nearly 2 million hits.

The brackets for these are specifically designed for lard arses.

For avoidance of any doubt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16WXu5E4ahM

I have no connection with this company. There are others proffering
similar products.

Well thanks, but these do generally take weight on the floor, albeit
behind a false wall.

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

If your floor is so weak it needs working on, it will be unsafe.

True, but it is not going to get it.

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

this one by Roca seems to be the sort of thing you are looking for

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/21986.htm
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2014 23:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 21/12/2014 20:04, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Most of these are designed to install, and then the wall be built in
front of them. So they carry weight to the floor - but behind the wall.

That indeed is what I have discovered. Has anyone seen them mounted
only on the wall?

The difficulty is you need to accommodate the depth of the cistern
behind the bowl - so unless you have the false wall in front of the
cistern it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the less cluttered back
to the wall look.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

this one by Roca seems to be the sort of thing you are looking for

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/21986.htm

That looks very encouraging! Thanks. I am currently trying to get
some solid info from the roca site, but I suppose I can always go and
look at one to clarify how it works.

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.merrows.co.uk/merrowsprod...Roca-890030000

Has a tech drawing

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 21/12/2014 20:04, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

Most of these are designed to install, and then the wall be built in
front of them. So they carry weight to the floor - but behind the wall.

That indeed is what I have discovered. Has anyone seen them mounted
only on the wall?

The difficulty is you need to accommodate the depth of the cistern
behind the bowl - so unless you have the false wall in front of the
cistern it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the less cluttered back
to the wall look.

The idea would be to support the false wall on the frame (or nearby
studs on the origiinal wall) and either leave an airgap or some sort of
foam between wall and floor.

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

what do you mean by bear weight on the floor?

wall mounted systems are definitely available, my sister' new build flat has
one, but ultimately the weight has to transfer to the floor somehow

tim

That's the point. It doesn't. Consider a picture hung on the wall.
The weight is borne by the foundations.

But a picture does not put much of a moment on the wall, unlike a fully
loaded loo where the centre of load is some distance away. Of course it
can be done. But normally floors are strong enough to take a 20 stone
person standing with their feet together. So the safe and easy solution
is to take it in a structure in thrust, rather than bending.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Chris French wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on
the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons.
Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and that of toilet
and user) through wall brackets? Or do I have to consider making my own
brackets out of steel angle?

this one by Roca seems to be the sort of thing you are looking for

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/21986.htm

That looks very encouraging! Thanks. I am currently trying to get
some solid info from the roca site, but I suppose I can always go and
look at one to clarify how it works.

Yeah, that one is one of the most useless pages I have seen for a long time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

[...]

I think that is good advice in general. When the floor has too few
joists, at excessively wide centres (and variable), of variable and
inadequate depth, and the ends of some (the ones I've looked at) of them
are rotten 1/2'" into the stonework then I am less sure. The fact the
floor moves 1/4" when you walk across it is also less than reassuring.

No, it is not going to get replaced. The reassuring point is that the
bottom of the joists is only 1.95m +-50mm above thr floor below, so
there is not far to fall. The wall is quite thick and held together
with 200+ year old local soil, so I reckon if I put rods through it
with a plate on the outside we should be alright!

--
Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

l?

The difficulty is you need to accommodate the depth of the cistern
behind the bowl - so unless you have the false wall in front of the
cistern it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the less cluttered back
to the wall look.

The idea would be to support the false wall on the frame (or nearby
studs on the origiinal wall) and either leave an airgap or some sort of
foam between wall and floor.

You can always locate the cistern anywhere above the pan but not
directly behind it and use a long flush pipe with a pneumatic ( rubber
tubing) flush control. A useful approach when space especially width is
at a premium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/14 20:08, Roger Hayter wrote:

I think that is good advice in general. When the floor has too few
joists, at excessively wide centres (and variable), of variable and
inadequate depth, and the ends of some (the ones I've looked at) of them
are rotten 1/2'" into the stonework then I am less sure. The fact the
floor moves 1/4" when you walk across it is also less than reassuring.

No, it is not going to get replaced. The reassuring point is that the
bottom of the joists is only 1.95m +-50mm above thr floor below, so
there is not far to fall. The wall is quite thick and held together
with 200+ year old local soil, so I reckon if I put rods through it
with a plate on the outside we should be alright!

Oh dear - sounds like you are up against it from all directions...

How about a false floor, a "floating" structural plinth the width of the
room or to know good bearing points, fully supported at both ends and
the rear?

This could be worked as a feature. If the span is short, 4" joists or
even some very small steels I beams if they exist might be sufficient.