Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall mounted toilet questions

I have seen toilets that are mounted to a wall rather than being mounted to
the floor.

It seems to me that this would make the job of mopping the bathroom a whole
lot easier, but make the rough in a little more complex.

Any other problems I should be aware of?

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
I have seen toilets that are mounted to a wall rather than being mounted to
the floor.

It seems to me that this would make the job of mopping the bathroom a whole
lot easier, but make the rough in a little more complex.

Any other problems I should be aware of?

The rough in includes blocking so that the bolts that hold the
toilet to the wall will have something to bite into. Very
important. You need to decide exactly which unit you want and
download or order the rough-in diagram for that particular unit.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
I have seen toilets that are mounted to a wall rather than being mounted to
the floor.

It seems to me that this would make the job of mopping the bathroom a
whole
lot easier, but make the rough in a little more complex.

Any other problems I should be aware of?

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?
The inside of the takes a large cast Iron carrier that has the waste pipe
connected to it so you plumbing(waste)has to be in the wall also you need
about a 12" thick wall.

http://www.terrylove.com/pdf/glenwall_install.pdf #2

Posted to alt.home.repair

These wall hung units are held in place with cast iron carriers
that are bolted to the floor behind the wall. The costs are
higher for the fixture, the carrier, and the volute piping
involved. These units only come with flush valves to my
knowledge, which will require 1" water lines. You are correct
that they are done for sanitary and custodial purposes. They are
very common in commercial work, public facilities, and schools.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
I have seen toilets that are mounted to a wall rather than being
mounted to
the floor.

It seems to me that this would make the job of mopping the
bathroom a whole
lot easier, but make the rough in a little more complex.

Any other problems I should be aware of?

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say
about the
Congress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 9:21*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
I have seen toilets that are mounted to a wall rather than being mounted to
the floor.

It seems to me that this would make the job of mopping the bathroom a whole
lot easier, but make the rough in a little more complex.

Any other problems I should be aware of?

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

I know it's not what you are asking about, but my house once had a two
piece toilet where the tank was mounted to the wall and the bowl was
mounted on the floor. A large plastic 90 connected the tank to the
back of the bowl.

It was in a "barely finished" basement bathroom with the tank bolted
directly to the block wall. It's the only one like that that I ever
saw - except for the European style with the tank way up high on the
wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
These wall hung units are held in place with cast iron carriers
that are bolted to the floor behind the wall. The costs are
higher for the fixture, the carrier, and the volute piping
involved. These units only come with flush valves to my
knowledge, which will require 1" water lines. You are correct
that they are done for sanitary and custodial purposes. They are
very common in commercial work, public facilities, and schools.

That well describes current COMMERCIAL wall-hungs. However, at least 30
years ago, they also did sell residential wall-hungs that used
conventional plumbing and had their own water tank. All the ones I ever
saw were the low-slung decorator one-piece units. You did need to
reinforce the wall, but I truly don't remember if they had a special
plate, or were just lagged off to a 2x nailer in the wall, like a
wall-mount sink is (or should be). I understand they were more prone to
clogs, due to the tight 90 right at the mounting point, unless you made
a deep wall for them.

I haven't been in a REAL plumbing store in 20 years, nor looked through
the plumbing part of a Sweets catalog in about as long. (Presumably
those are on CD or web site now?)

Google Google Google

Yep, Eljer still has them, but none of the other major brands like A/S
or Kohler appear to, but the choices seem fewer (and the prices are
absurdly high). Guess the fad died down, or people rich enough for
custom bathrooms are getting fatter. (Unless wall was reinforced, there
was flex when a large person sat down. A common callback was people
standing on them to reach something, and levering them loose.)

aem sends...